Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Electric ignition&gas stove--do you use a blech on yom tov?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 1:33 pm
This is my first yom tov with a gas stove with electric ignition (Blue Star). There is no way to turn on the burners without the igniter.

DH is very opposed to leaving a flame on for three days.

If anyone is in the same situation? Do you leave a flame on? Uncovered, or covered with a blech?

This is all new to me, and I'm not really sure which is the best and SAFEST option. (We had an glass top electric range before this, and that came with a whole other slew of problems.)

Of course, we are leaving an oven on and can work around the stove issue, but I was wondering what other people do.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 1:42 pm
I never leave the oven or the flame on. My kitchen and home would get way too hot.
(Isn't it expensive also to leave an oven on for 3 days?) I also agree with your husband that it is dangerous.
I have a hot plate that I plug into a WiFi timer that I setup to turn on and off at different times based on meal times. I am able to set that up from an app on my phone.

cm

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 1:44 pm
Too dangerous. I also use electric appliances on timers.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 1:50 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
I have a hot plate that I plug into a WiFi timer that I setup to turn on and off at different times based on meal times. I am able to set that up from an app on my phone.

But you can't cook on a hot plate.

It's my family's tradition to have fried fish and home fries on yom tov. Made fresh, not reheated in the oven. DH feels bad that he can't do this for me, so I'm trying to figure out a way. But, yeah, a flame on for 3 days does make me nervous. The cost may be negligible. I'm really not sure.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 1:55 pm
My family has always left a flame or two on for Yom Tov. On very low, and turn it up if necessary to cook. (You are allowed to turn it down only if needed to avoid the food burning.)

Obviously make sure you have a working carbon monoxide and smoke detector.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 2:02 pm
I agree that leaving a gas burner flame on is potentially dangerous. However, I leave a small flame on a back burner and cover it with a blech. Also, if I don't leave a flame on, where would I get a fire to light a candle for the first and second nights of Yom Tov?
They sell three day candles for transferring a fire for candle lighting, but imvho, they are more dangerous because the flame is unprotected.
Eta: We have a working CO/smoke detector.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 2:06 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Also, if I don't leave a flame on, where would I get a fire to light a candle for the first and second nights of Yom Tov?
They sell three day candles but imvho, they are more dangerous because the flame is unprotected.

I usually use 2 to 3 small yartzeit candles for a three day yom tov, just to bench licht.
And if it goes out, I "borrow" fire from a neighbor.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 2:33 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
My family has always left a flame or two on for Yom Tov. On very low, and turn it up if necessary to cook. (You are allowed to turn it down only if needed to avoid the food burning.)

I keep one small flame on and increase it if needed closer to the last day of Yom Tov. I keep my kitchen window slightly open the entire time and I also have a carbon monoxide detector plugged into an outlet near by one of the counters. I do not keep an oven on. My DH believes that keeping the oven on for three days releases more carbon monoxide than the small flame does .

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 2:35 pm
If you really wanted you could buy a single electric burner that you plug into an outlet. Then you could put it on a timer.

cm

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 2:45 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
If you really wanted you could buy a single electric burner that you plug into an outlet. Then you could put it on a timer.

This. Also an electric frying pan. They are very useful.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 2:48 pm
I have Bluestars too! I have ranges, sounds like you have a rangetop or cooktop.

Sometimes I unplug the milchik range and transfer a flame to light a burner or 2 for our second day yontef milchik lunch — we make kid-friendly classics like mac 'n' cheese. If you unplug the range there is no electronic ignition (but the oven won't work). And I leave the vent hood fan on low.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 3:47 pm
I leave a flame on for 3 days. On the lowest and with the window open and working smoke detectors. Major downside is that the house heats up terribly

4everhappy

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 4:40 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:

My family does the same.

advocate

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 9:44 pm
We had an electrician install an override switch, so the ignition wouldn't work, and I would light the burner.

Good Shabbos v'yom tov!

turca

Post Wed, Jun 05 2019, 9:58 pm
Use 3 day candle to light up burner ( I somehow manage to skip the ignition). I have a cleaning lady coming twice daily on yt, she ll close the fire.
Other options are crockpots on timers.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 3:15 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
I have Bluestars too! I have ranges, sounds like you have a rangetop or cooktop.

Sometimes I unplug the milchik range and transfer a flame to light a burner or 2 for our second day yontef milchik lunch — we make kid-friendly classics like mac 'n' cheese. If you unplug the range there is no electronic ignition (but the oven won't work). And I leave the vent hood fan on low.

I am considering a Bluestar, if you turn on the oven and then unplug it will the oven stay on?

zaq

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 9:20 am
I leave a small flame covered with a blech all YT. I make sure to keep combustible materials away, of course, and a kettle full of water sits on top the whole time to act as a heat sink. I also keep a Yahrzeit candle burning as backup in case the flame goes out.

On weekday YT I remove the blech to heat or cook directly on the flame if need be, otherwise I heat things up on the blech.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 9:55 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
I am considering a Bluestar, if you turn on the oven and then unplug it will the oven stay on?

I don't think so. But you can raise the oven temp when the fire is on and lower it when off — you can hear the whoosh when the oven flame goes on, and there's also an indicator light. On my fleishik range, I usually leave one burner on and also the oven.

BetsyTacy

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 12:20 pm
[quote="zaq"]I leave a small flame covered with a blech all YT. I make sure to keep combustible materials away, of course, and a kettle full of water sits on top the whole time to act as a heat sink.

I do the same thing but would appreciate an explanation of the term "heat sink" in this context.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 12:33 pm
For those of you who haven't heard of it: there is a special device (like a Shabbos clock) connected to an electrical outlet and it shuts of the gas on yomtov. It's called Gazman. Then you simply turn the knob on off and that's it. No more wasting gas.
I have it and it's excellent.
There is another one called Chagaz - same idea.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen