Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What’s your ice pop ‘rule’?
Previous  1  2

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 6:02 pm
My oldest is 20, been doing this a while. My kids make fruit juice pops, unlimited, during the week. Neighbors bite the plastic sticks so we keep those in house only.

Packages ices in my house are no food coloring for laundry reasons. I dont delude myself that they're healthy. My kids prefer Wyler's, this year they make no food coloring. I bought (and hid) 6 boxes. I'll prob get 6 more after shavuos.

Plastic sleeves go in the trash, not on anyo as lawn. If I see my sleeves of my brand of ices on the floor or yard or sidewalk, I stop serving them until they are cleared from my property and neighbors front yards. I do a walk around first, or send a teen to do a walk around.

On shabbos, I encourage my kids to be generous with neighborhood friends. They are responsible for their friends wrappers as well.

After sleeve #2, drink a cup of water before the next ices.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 6:10 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
My oldest is 20, been doing this a while. My kids make fruit juice pops, unlimited, during the week. Neighbors bite the plastic sticks so we keep those in house only.

Packages ices in my house are no food coloring for laundry reasons. I dont delude myself that they're healthy. My kids prefer Wyler's, this year they make no food coloring. I bought (and hid) 6 boxes. I'll prob get 6 more after shavuos.

Plastic sleeves go in the trash, not on anyo as lawn. If I see my sleeves of my brand of ices on the floor or yard or sidewalk, I stop serving them until they are cleared from my property and neighbors front yards. I do a walk around first, or send a teen to do a walk around.

On shabbos, I encourage my kids to be generous with neighborhood friends. They are responsible for their friends wrappers as well.

After sleeve #2, drink a cup of water before the next ices.

Where do you buy the Wylers color free? That sounds awsome

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 6:14 pm
Fruit juice ices are also high in sugar. And freeze pops (or foxy pops as we called them) are just part of summer fun. Even the adults snack on them.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 6:19 pm
I'm going to share my childhood freezpop story .(I manage to have story for every topic. 😀)
My mother didn't let us have freezepops often but one summer in the stifling Brooklyn she bought a case. Every few days we would reload the freezer with some contents from the box.
One day she had me trek across Boro Park with her and I was hot and cranky. She promised me that if I stopped kvetching and just walked quickly I'd get a freezepop as soon as we walked in the door.
Like someone running a marathon , that envisions the finish line before him, I envisioned that cold juicy freezepop waiting for me.
We finally got home. My mother met a neighbor on her way down the block and got stuck shmoozing. I ran in the door , pulled the freezer door open and to my horror someone had taken the last few freezepops and refilled the freezer minutes ago with warm melted ones. I was beside myself. I ran downstairs to call my mother. I tried getting her attention by tapping on the window. She didn't notice me. So out of frusteration I knocked harder on the window and my hand went right threw...the entire window pane went crashing to the ground and shattered while I wailed that there were no freezepops as promised and all the neighbors and my mother watched in horror. Of course my mother was furious with me. I was around age 8 and was acting like a three yr old.
She had to call a glass guy and I had to take all my birthday money that I had saved up to pay for the replacement window pane. So I ended up with $40 less in my pocket and no freezepop and I felt miserable the rest of the day and night... that's my freezepop memory from childhood. I'm afraid to hear the story my kids will have ...yikes.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 6:25 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Hah this is hysterical. I didn’t realize people had freeze pop rules. I gave one to my 4 year old for the first time and she wasn’t keen on it. But my rule was she had to eat it sitting down. So I guess I had my own rule after all

Oh gosh, thank goodness someone else said this lol. My “rule” is if you eat them silently you can have as many as you like. 🙂

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 6:28 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Oh gosh, thank goodness someone else said this lol. My “rule” is if you eat them silently you can have as many as you like. 🙂

LOL LOL LOL

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 8:59 pm
I don't buy them. We make our own in an ices tray with popsicle sticks with homemade lemonade or diluted orange juice.

nchr

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 9:43 pm
DH and I have at least 2-3 per day so our kids do too lol. We sometimes make our own with real fruit chunks but obviously thats still full of sugar and carbs

asmileaday

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 9:32 am
We don't have any rules about freeze pops (the 1.5oz), except like with any nosh, you can't have it right before supper. It's not a rule, just a logical thing.
I have an extra freezer so I freeze a case at a time. I never made it a rarity thing. I find that my kids take some here and there but because it isn't restricted they're not farchalished (dying) for it.
I still have leftover from last summer! Yes they're still edible thanks to a deep freeze.

Oh I also encourage outdoor eating for these freeze pops. Thanks to backyards and frontyards it's almost always an option.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 11:38 am
aricelli wrote:
Its “officially” one per day but...!

we also do lots of frozen bananas and grapes and for milchig- greek strawberry yogurt spread on cookie sheet with pieces of strawberry and bananas frozen and then broken in pieces for delicious strawberry bark,

Wow that sounds yum!

OP, my ice pop rule is similar to yours. Officially, anyway....

For toddlers (like my 1 1/2 year old nephew) I only give (well, officially. Let's not discuss what happens when he sees what DD has and insists on that too...) the freezepops. At least it stays in the plastic while melting, and doesn't drip all over the house. (Forget about him sitting at the table. I need to invest in crazy glue.)

Sky, I love what you wrote about your neighborhood. I've been the same way as well, still am but it was much more so with my big girls, when they were little. Besides for the benefit of being in control and supervising the situation, I feel that what my girls gained socially (by my home being a welcoming "nosh stop" for their friends on Shabbos afternoon) can't be measured in terms of the few dollars I spent per week on snacks/ices/nosh, etc....

I'm grateful that I don't have to post on imamother that my daughter has no friends. I'm glad that she blended so easily into my new neighborhood, and that all the kids know we bought those colorful icepops so it's worth stopping by to play with her....

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 11:41 am
thunderstorm wrote:
I'm going to share my childhood freezpop story .(I manage to have story for every topic. 😀)
My mother didn't let us have freezepops often but one summer in the stifling Brooklyn she bought a case. Every few days we would reload the freezer with some contents from the box.
One day she had me trek across Boro Park with her and I was hot and cranky. She promised me that if I stopped kvetching and just walked quickly I'd get a freezepop as soon as we walked in the door.
Like someone running a marathon , that envisions the finish line before him, I envisioned that cold juicy freezepop waiting for me.
We finally got home. My mother met a neighbor on her way down the block and got stuck shmoozing. I ran in the door , pulled the freezer door open and to my horror someone had taken the last few freezepops and refilled the freezer minutes ago with warm melted ones. I was beside myself. I ran downstairs to call my mother. I tried getting her attention by tapping on the window. She didn't notice me. So out of frusteration I knocked harder on the window and my hand went right threw...the entire window pane went crashing to the ground and shattered while I wailed that there were no freezepops as promised and all the neighbors and my mother watched in horror. Of course my mother was furious with me. I was around age 8 and was acting like a three yr old.
She had to call a glass guy and I had to take all my birthday money that I had saved up to pay for the replacement window pane. So I ended up with $40 less in my pocket and no freezepop and I felt miserable the rest of the day and night... that's my freezepop memory from childhood. I'm afraid to hear the story my kids will have ...yikes.

I'm so sorry for this miserable (from your POV) experience. I don't know why but the image of it has me LOL Laugh . Hysterical! I would have loved to be your best friend as a child. You sound like the spunky personality I would have been attracted to socially.

miami85

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 11:46 am
As long as kids are active the amount of sugar in a freeze pop is rather negligible. A lollipop has 60 calories and a freeze pop has 35, which if your kids are hot from being out in the sun, is pretty much a wash. My kids mostly had the cheap ones in camp and I had dye-free ices at home. Recently I bought the red-white-and-blue popsicles, and they can have 1/day. We don't have a lot of junk and my kids eat a variety of snacks, the few drops of food coloring are probably not dangerous enough to really be bothered by it.

Stars

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 11:47 am
Chayalle wrote:
(Forget about him sitting at the table. I need to invest in crazy glue.).

Totally off topic , but you should invest in a cheap ikea high chair! You'll need it for the grandkids soon anyway. Or if you want something that folds really slim, mine was $100 but it's the best one out there. Folds and opens with one hand, wipes down spotless in a second, and no child can climb out of it ever, even the biggest monkeys. It's called primo cozy tot deluxe.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 12:23 pm
miami85 wrote:
As long as kids are active the amount of sugar in a freeze pop is rather negligible. A lollipop has 60 calories and a freeze pop has 35, which if your kids are hot from being out in the sun, is pretty much a wash. My kids mostly had the cheap ones in camp and I had dye-free ices at home. Recently I bought the red-white-and-blue popsicles, and they can have 1/day. We don't have a lot of junk and my kids eat a variety of snacks, the few drops of food coloring are probably not dangerous enough to really be bothered by it.

It's not about the calories. Gosh.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 12:40 pm
Not before meal

icebreaker

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 1:40 pm
Never had a rule. Honestly, when my kids were younger and we were outside playing, I'd have more than they did.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics