Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Menu Planning and Severe Food Restrictions s/o-HELP

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 11:12 pm
Need some new ideas. I cook like this all year round and I am so terribly burnt out. I used to love cooking and now I absolutely despise the kitchen. I want someone to make yt for me. I just can't do this anymore.

Maybe some new ideas will help me get motivated.

One person can't eat
dairy
soy
eggs
gluten
tree nuts
peanuts
coconut
beef
seeds
avocado
corn

Another one can't eat
grains
potatoes
sweet potatoes
soy
sugar
coconut

Another one is ONLY allowed these foods
oats-organic
rice-organic
cucumbers
broccoli
chicken
chickpeas-organic
tapioca
coconut
garlic
onions
beets
olive oil
baking soda
lemon
tea
grapes
mango
watermelon
some spices

I've hardly done anything yet. I made strawberry banana sorbet, challah, rugelach, sugar cookies, and crumb cake that are all free of gluten, soy, eggs, nuts. Take note, I have not cooked any actual food.

I HAVE NO PATIENCE OR INTEREST. I'M IN DENIAL THAT SHAVUOS IS JUST ABOUT HERE. I wanna hide in a cave and come out when it's over. It's six meals, I just can't!!

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 11:16 pm
Serious question: why do you have these people? People who are so limited need to eat at home! Or ease their restrictions as to not put an undue burden on the host. I can’t host picky eaters/restricted diets. And I don’t. Why are you the one to bend over backwards?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 11:21 pm
It sounds like OP has 3 family members who have these medical food restrictions and they're not guests.

OP, cook one main dish, one side dish and one vegetable dish to accommodate each person. That gives you 3 mains, 3 sides and 3 veggies.
Lay out food in platters. Everybody takes what they can eat. You're not in charge of making sure they eat the right foods. They need to take care of themselves, learn how to navigate the world when you're not around, and you need a break.
Sending you lots of strength!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 11:22 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Serious question: why do you have these people? People who are so limited need to eat at home! Or ease their restrictions as to not put an undue burden on the host. I can’t host picky eaters/restricted diets. And I don’t. Why are you the one to bend over backwards?

They are my family-as in DH and kids. They ARE eating at home. They can not 'ease their restrictions'. It can potentially kill them.

I am really holding myself back from a nasty retort.

dankbar

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 11:35 pm
cubed chicken with broccolli & rice.
quinoa with veg.
fruit salad or fruit skewers drizzled with strawberry sauce & coconut for one who is allowed
I once made a chicken cutlet recipe with grapes & mushrooms
pasta with different sauces or cabbage & noodles for one who is allowed.
warm spicy chic peas
chumus
vegetable kugel without flour
stirfried veggies
beet salad

grace413

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 11:35 pm
Sounds very challenging. I also lost interest in cooking when DH couldn't eat xyz and kids wouldn't eat abc.

Good news - everybody can eat chicken! I suggest roast chicken with garlic and lemon, easy and refreshing. Side of organic rice. Cut up grapes, watermelon, mango also easy and refreshing.

So impressed you did all that gluten free baking.

Hang in there and Chag Sameach.

dankbar

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 11:37 pm
Roasted broccoli with garlic for one that is allowed

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 11:40 pm
Are we twinning? I feel like I am in denial also. You are much further along then me, but your puzzle seems harder than mine

I hope everything works out for you, and you have a wonderful yontiff.

dankbar

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 11:43 pm
veg cutlets, cucumber salad, oatmeal cookies

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 11:47 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It sounds like OP has 3 family members who have these medical food restrictions and they're not guests.

OP, cook one main dish, one side dish and one vegetable dish to accommodate each person. That gives you 3 mains, 3 sides and 3 veggies.
Lay out food in platters. Everybody takes what they can eat. You're not in charge of making sure they eat the right foods. They need to take care of themselves, learn how to navigate the world when you're not around, and you need a break.
Sending you lots of strength!

I do this just about every day of the year. I serve dinner family style every night and everyone knows what they eat and helps themselves. That still doesn't give me a break. I usually try to make at least one thing that everyone can eat to make it easier for myself.

Thanks!

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 11:48 pm
First person - other than beef, avocado, and coconut, should be able to follow aip diet.

Second person - other than sweet potato and coconut, also aip.

So for those 2 ppl you can cook the same dishes using chicken and just avoiding coconut products (is it all products including aminos, flour, and oil?)
Google autoimmune paleo

Here's some great blogs/insta to follow:
Autoimmune wellness
Unbound wellness
Micky trescott

-Mango puree over chicken or salmon
-Kale or spinach salad with roasted squash, pomegranate seeds and a balsamic dressing
-saute shallots or red onion, chopped spinach and sliced olives or sundried tomatoes. Yummy over salmon or as a filling for aip Stromboli (Google it) which uses white sweet potstoes (should be allowed on scd diet if that's what it is) and tapioca starch as a dough
-I find the easiest thing is just a protein side and lots of sautéed veggies. Leeks, in whole leaves (like peel apart and wash then roast) or sliced, zucchini, carrots with maple syrup, butternut squash with cinnamon, broccoli, popcorn cauliflower - maple syrup, olive oil, turmeric, garlic and onion, pink salt, literally anything toasts
-anise or fennel salad, I can never rmmbr the diff, is fresh and tasty salad. Dress with olive, lemon, maybe some fresh herbs
-steamed cauliflower, black olives, capers, sundried tomatoes, purple onion, work off this
https://myrecipes.com/recipe/c.....salad
-zoodles with a tomato basil dressing
-you haven't ruled out nightshades, so how about a zucchini eggplant tomato cubed and simmered forever. In cubes it's a salad, in small pieces so it gets mushed it's a dip, there's a name but I'm too tired. Ratatouille?
-rice under chicken if cross contamination isn't an issue

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 11:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I do this just about every day of the year. I serve dinner family style every night and everyone knows what they eat and helps themselves. That still doesn't give me a break. I usually try to make at least one thing that everyone can eat to make it easier for myself.

Thanks!

Hug Hug
I wish I could help!

Maybe over the next few months everyone can learn how to cook their basic dishes and give Mom a break for the yomim tovim after summer!!

yksraya

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 11:56 pm
Bake tons of simple chicken bottoms.

One side you can make rice.

Another side make broccoli.

Cucumber salad with a sweetener so the one off sugar can have too.

Chick peas so the one off grains can have something filling, and the other ones too.

Can you make a chummus out of some of the chick peas? Maybe the one off grains can dip carrot sticks etc in it.

Cook some normal food too for the ones who can eat. But stick with basics so that you don't overwork.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics