Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
So You Must be Israeli...
Previous  1  2  3  Next

When did you make Aliya?
Was born here  
 5%  [ 4 ]
Came with family as a child  
 10%  [ 8 ]
Came with family as a young adult  
 1%  [ 1 ]
Came my self as a young adult  
 28%  [ 21 ]
Made Aliya with DH  
 24%  [ 18 ]
Got married to a DH that lives here  
 8%  [ 6 ]
Came for retirement  
 5%  [ 4 ]
Other  
 6%  [ 5 ]
Made Aliya with DH and kids  
 9%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 74

WitchKitty

Post Mon, Jun 10 2019, 12:13 pm
grace413 wrote:
On an airplane. Very Happy

Lol, Grace, when I read the poll I was wondering what you would answer. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 I knew it would be something good.

grace413

Post Mon, Jun 10 2019, 12:43 pm
WitchKitty wrote:
Lol, Grace, when I read the poll I was wondering what you would answer. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 I knew it would be something good.

You are too kind.

sped

Post Mon, Jun 10 2019, 1:36 pm
Came as an "older single", eventually got married here to an Israeli and made aliya then. (I did "other")

Israeli_C

Post Mon, Jun 10 2019, 1:41 pm
Interesting of all those who came single, who ended up marrying a sabra and who married a fellow oleh?

dh came here at 2 years old- so something in the middle!

Rappel

Post Mon, Jun 10 2019, 1:48 pm
Israeli_C wrote:
Interesting of all those who came single, who ended up marrying a sabra and who married a fellow oleh?

I married an oleh. I specifically didn't want to marry a real Israeli - I knew I needed a culture in common. BH, it worked out. Smile

gingertop

Post Mon, Jun 10 2019, 1:51 pm
BadTichelDay wrote:
Came on my own as a not entirely young adult (well, I still felt young). Then I met dh...
Am I Israeli? In some ways yes, in others less so. When I get annoyed, I still complain about "the Israelis", how "they" drive, vote, behave. On the other hand, I have no other citizenship myself and I like living here and have no intention of leaving ever again (except on vacation, and even then I start missing Israel the moment the plane takes off).

Edit, and during my first year I asked about 2 day chag. Was told 1 day. Felt funny the first year, but not any more since.

Off topic, but I love your avatar! Adorable.

Teomima

Post Mon, Jun 10 2019, 2:09 pm
Israeli_C wrote:

Same question can apply to those of us who have been here since childhood/adolescence. In my case, I married an oleh who came here as a single man, though from a different country than I was originally from.

etky

Post Mon, Jun 10 2019, 2:43 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
Me too. In 2020, Erev Shavuot on Thu 28 May so no weekday in between. Sorry.

That is still much better than having the chag begin motzei Shabbat. At least you can prepare for Shabbat while it is chag. This Saturday night chag thing is so stressful for me. I always have my sister and family for erev shavuot and it's a crazy race to get things done the minute Shabbat is out. Also, it takes at least an hour for the food to heat up so you don't sit down until really late, and that cuts into the time (and energy) that you have to attend shiurim.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Jun 10 2019, 2:44 pm
etky wrote:
That is still much better than having the chag begin motzei Shabbat. At least you can prepare for Shabbat while it is chag. This Saturday night chag thing is so stressful for me. I always have my sister and family for erev shavuot and it's a crazy race to get things done the minute Shabbat is out. Also, it takes at least an hour for the food to heat up so you don't sit down until really late, and that cuts into the time (and energy) that you have to attend shiurim.

But you reach the shiurim well-rested.

etky

Post Mon, Jun 10 2019, 2:48 pm
chanchy123 wrote:
But you reach the shiurim well-rested.

That's theoretical in my case, unfortunately.
I don't nap well on the preceding Shabbat (this year I couldn't sleep a wink) cause I'm stressed about getting the meal together the minute Shabbat is over. I can't relax.
I guess that if I didn't host things would be different but it's a family tradition and I'm loathe to change it at this point.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jun 10 2019, 2:56 pm
etky wrote:
I don't nap well on the preceding Shabbat (this year I couldn't sleep a wink) cause I'm stressed about getting the meal together the minute Shabbat is over. I can't relax.
I guess that if I didn't host things would be different but it's a family tradition and I'm loathe to change it at this point.

Too late for this year, but the key is to prepare a simple meal that can be served at room temperature. Also, ask your local rabbi, but I take food out of the fridge on shabbos, have some for shalosh seudos, and then warm it up in the oven which I leave on.

etky

Post Mon, Jun 10 2019, 3:14 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Too late for this year, but the key is to prepare a simple meal that can be served at room temperature. Also, ask your local rabbi, but I take food out of the fridge on shabbos, have some for shalosh seudos, and then warm it up in the oven which I leave on.

So, I can't halachically use my oven's shabbat mode in that way so that's not an option unfortunately.
I do leave platot on and the food goes on the minute shabbat is out. I also leave a burner on from erev shabbat to heat the soup on and it heats pretty quickly that way.
This year I also made more salads and other foods that are good room temperature.
Still, we always look forward to my signature dishes (quiche, canneloni) that we have once a year on Shavuot, and they just take their sweet time to heat.
No small kids so the late hour is not an issue in that respect, I just enjoy it less when I have all the constaints of Shabbat and it makes me stressed.
I much rather have it the other way around, the way it works out next year.

slushiemom

Post Mon, Jun 10 2019, 3:16 pm
Wow, I'm the only one in my category! I always had so much gratitude for my situation, but seeing how rare it is reminds me again to appreciate it.

I came as a young adult (after seminary) and my family decided to join me when they saw I was serious. It was an amazing time in my life, I felt so lucky that I was living my dream and my family was joining me, and honestly, I feel just as lucky, if not more so, to be living here- 15 years later.

mandksima

Post Mon, Jun 10 2019, 4:06 pm
Came here 13 years ago next month! Came with a dh and 2 kids in gan. BH, they are 18 now and we have a few more sabras!

Pollyanna

Post Mon, Jun 10 2019, 8:40 pm
Made Aliya with my fam when I was young. Those who did it alone, wow, you are such an inspiration!

Israeli_C

Post Mon, Jun 10 2019, 11:24 pm
Funny story re aliyah - when dh came here at 2 years old, he was recently potty trained and his mom didn't bring spare clothes. Well, the inevitable happened and he ended up arriving into Ben Gurion buck n@ked! He says it was like being 'born again' as an Israeli Tongue Out

amother
Red

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 9:29 am
etky wrote:

Agree with you. Logistics very very tough.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 9:38 am
etky wrote:

Etky, I didn't use my blech this time (only my plata) and I saw the difference in heating time. On chagim, I usually use my blech and I have a timer that shuts off the gas (called Gazman).

etky

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 11:15 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:
Etky, I didn't use my blech this time (only my plata) and I saw the difference in heating time. On chagim, I usually use my blech and I have a timer that shuts off the gas (called Gazman).

So I do use platot - I don't have a blech cause my stovetop is electric.
Still takes an hour for the food to heat up on the platot. I know that if I made 'thinner' foods they would heat up more quickly but then we would have to go w/o our family favorites.
I'm looking forward to next year when I can put already warm food on the plata on erev chag and enjoy hot fish freshly baked from the oven and not reheated...

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 3:41 am
I came right after I finished university. I met my husband two years later. I had a sibling that made aliyah 2 years before more. My two other siblings followed in the following few years and then my parents (and 96 year old grandmother) followed shortly after. SO my entire immediate family is thankfully in Israel.
My husband could answer that he became israeli because he met me and stayed so then he made aliyah. Wink
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions