Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Calm me down plz exposure to measels
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 3:49 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised

This is atrocious. I am literally sitting here with my jaw in my lap. These people need to be reported to the CDC, and that so called "doctor" needs to have his license revoked! Mad

Tnx for saying out loud what I was thinking!! It's outrageous! Hope it's not the pediatrician I am using.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 5:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Tnx for saying out loud what I was thinking!! It's outrageous! Hope it's not the pediatrician I am using.

I would find out, and expose him. What he is doing is illegal and dangerous, and if he is doing THIS, who knows what ELSE he is doing.

yksraya

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 5:47 pm
delicious wrote:
It's a good idea to vaccinate them even if you didn't go to the doctors office.

On yom tov in shul my husband watched to brothers having a fight. One was upset at the younger brother-at how selfish he is, because he is an anti-vaxxer, and needed to have his kids in school, so he went to a HEIMISHE doctor in BP, who is forging records for tons of children, and now his kids are back in school, not immunized, not immune.

He claims he had a meeting with the school and THEY TOLD HIM TO DO THIS!!! (dunno if I believe that)

So be careful cuz you have no idea who you are standing near.

FTR, my friend saw an anti-vaxxer in Deli 52. ANti-vaxxers eat commercial food? such a contradiction

I hope the story is not true.

A doctor does not do what the schools tell him to do. It's quite the opposite. A dr can educate schools. I remember a dr came to us in elementary school and taught us how to wash the hands properly.

And wouldn't the school benefit more when working with the doh rather than with some non vaxers.

I believe that non vaxer made up some juicy story.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 6:07 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
Pediatric nurse here.

1. If you are immune, the chance of you transmitting measles to anyone is almost not possible. Please don't be concerned about the numbers. Immune is immune.

2. If someone was exposed, giving the MMR (to someone who doesn't have both MMRs or is not immune) within 3 days of exposure highly decreases the chance of coming down with measles.

3. A person is only contagious 4 days before the rash appears and 4 days after it appears.

Thanks for chiming in here.

As for #3, both from my experience and from my reading, the 4 days before the rash appears is not an absolute number.

A person is contagious from when they exhibit symptoms (of any kind) which can be (as I posted upthread) anywhere between 3 and 5 days before the appearance of the rash. That's where the number 4 comes from. But it's not an absolute magic number 4. Initial symptoms often go unnoticed, but someone who knows they were exposed can be on the lookout.

A person is most contagious at the peak of the rash and continues to be contagious 4 days after its appearance.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 6:32 pm
yksraya wrote:

A doctor does not do what the schools tell him to do. It's quite the opposite. A dr can educate schools. I remember a dr came to us in elementary school and taught us how to wash the hands properly.

And wouldn't the school benefit more when working with the doh rather than with some non vaxers.

Fake medical exemptions are big money makers for some unscrupulous doctors in California.

yksraya

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 7:13 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Fake medical exemptions are big money makers for some unscrupulous doctors in California.

Really? Like they charge to give an exemption? That's crazy...

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 7:17 pm
In terms of the original question, if you are vaccinated, you are almost certainly immune and therefore would not get the disease and since you can't get the disease, cannot pass it on to anyone else.

This is the absolute basis of "herd immunity" - if a high enough percentage of a population is vaccinated, the virus has no hosts in which to spread so it dies out almost immediately.

The reason why there is a measles epidemic is because the percentage of vaccinated people is low enough so that people who aren't immune are coming in contact with people who have the disease versus the virus not finding "hosts" in which to propagate.

Herd immunity helps those who for whatever reason aren't able to be immune on their own - whether it is because they are too young or are otherwise immunocompromised.

It is the ESSENCE of selfishness that people rely on others being vaccinated in terms of themselves or their children not getting a disease because the herd immunity protects people who deliberately choose not to vaccinate - and yet they are reaping the benefits of those who do. That is, of course, until you get a situation like that which exists now in which too many people aren't vaccinated and therefore there is no herd immunity to protect anyone.

tweety1

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 7:22 pm
yksraya wrote:
Really? Like they charge to give an exemption? That's crazy...

Welcome to the world. Old news nothing new. Only in California you think?? You'd be surprised...

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 7:24 pm
Amother Peach! That is so clear! Thanks.
I'm a little unclear on 1 thing, maybe you can clarify for me? I got my vaccinations at age 1 and 4. I am 23 yes old. Got my titers checked, and it shows no immunity to measles. Do I need another mmr?

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 7:39 pm
yksraya wrote:

My relative got a phone call asking him to send his vaxxed child to a certain dr office to stand in for a nonvaxxed child who needed to take bloodwork to show immunity.in this scenario, After getting the immunity letter the dr would write the child as immune. But using a different child! Of course my relative said NO

youngishbear

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 7:53 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
My relative got a phone call asking him to send his vaxxed child to a certain dr office to stand in for a nonvaxxed child who needed to take bloodwork to show immunity.in this scenario, After getting the immunity letter the dr would write the child as immune. But using a different child! Of course my relative said NO

I heard about such despicable behavior, but I didn't believe it until someone close to me told me she knows a specific person who actually did go through with this.

And so this stupid pointless useless epidemic continues.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 8:03 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Thanks for chiming in here.

As for #3, both from my experience and from my reading, the 4 days before the rash appears is not an absolute number.

A person is contagious from when they exhibit symptoms (of any kind) which can be (as I posted upthread) anywhere between 3 and 5 days before the appearance of the rash. That's where the number 4 comes from. But it's not an absolute magic number 4. Initial symptoms often go unnoticed, but someone who knows they were exposed can be on the lookout.

A person is most contagious at the peak of the rash and continues to be contagious 4 days after its appearance.

I will say that there are atypical cases of measles going around. However, the general rule is 4 before and 4 after.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 8:12 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
I will say that there are atypical cases of measles going around. However, the general rule is 4 before and 4 after.

Right because that's the norm and average.

I do feel it's important though for people to know that if they are feeling 100% fine and dandy, they are not sick and therefore they are not contagious. However, it is true that most people 4 days prior to the rash's appearance, will have some kind of minor symptoms even if it's just a general feeling of being run-down.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 8:21 pm
Right because that's the norm and average.

I do feel it's important though for people to know that if they are feeling 100% fine and dandy, they are not sick and therefore they are not contagious. However, it is true that most people 4 days prior to the rash's appearance, will have some kind of minor symptoms even if it's just a general feeling of being run-down.

Huh? Measels doesn't make you bed ridden sick? I know somebody that's was hospitalized with 106 fever before they knew it's measels. . It lasted for 12 hrs then it broke then did the rash come out.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 9:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Huh? Measels doesn't make you bed ridden sick? I know somebody that's was hospitalized with 106 fever before they knew it's measels. . It lasted for 12 hrs then it broke then did the rash come out.

Not right in the beginning. The first symptom can be aches and pains like strep, in general feeling run-down, a cough, a stuffy nose, pimples in the mouth, low-grade fever. The first symptom is usually not 106 fever. Even 106 fever first is 99 degrees and then 100 and then 101 and so on. Although as amother Peach said there are cases that don't follow the typical pattern which it seems like with the person you know. Most people first come out with the rash and then the fever spikes.

If measles would make you that sick right away, it wouldn't have spread so fast; people would be bed-ridden and not walking around shopping and going to school because "it's just a cough."

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 9:11 pm
Not right in the beginning. The first symptom can be aches and pains like strep, in general feeling run-down, a cough, a stuffy nose, pimples in the mouth, low-grade fever. The first symptom is usually not 106 fever. Even 106 fever first is 99 degrees and then 100 and then 101 and so on. Although as amother Peach said there are cases that don't follow the typical pattern which it seems like with the person you know. Most people first come out with the rash and then the fever spikes.

If measles would make you that sick right away, it wouldn't have spread so fast; people would be bed-ridden and not walking around shopping and going to school because "it's just a cough."

I get it. I thought the rash comes out when it's almost over similar to roseolla. I didn't realize that the fever still lingers on a few days after the rash appearance.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 9:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I get it. I thought the rash comes out when it's almost over similar to roseolla. I didn't realize that the fever still lingers on a few days after the rash appearance.

Yes of course. The appearance of the rash is considered the peak of the illness and highest contagion. Fever goes higher right after rash comes out and stays high for about 36 hours.
Then it starts going down and that also takes a full 2 days. But even after the fever starts to go down, the person, especially a teen/adult still feels pretty miserable and usually in bed. They cannot be out and about while still contagious afterwards unless they're at the doctor or something like that. They will feel dreadfully weak, eyes can't handle light, sinuses/ears/nose may be congested for a while, strong lingering cough.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 9:27 pm
Regarding the false mmr papers: My daughter works in a preschool. One of her students was home for a while because her mom refused to vaccinate. After a while She bought in papers from her doctor stating she was immune- the teachers were sure it wasnt real. Sure enough, soon after the child came down with the measles!
Eta- when she came back to school she looked really really awful. Poor child

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 9:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was just exposed to measels at my pediatricians office. I have 2 questions:
1. Can I hand over the exposure to my 2 kids who aren't fully vaccinated yet? (Yes I immediately made appt for Tom and Fri to give the 2nd mmr)
2. My immunity numbers are 63.1. Despite the fact that I'm immuned, can the exposure go over to my unborn?
My pediatrician claims I have nothing to worry abt both but I'm still freaking out.

Was this by diamond today?

They locked their doors for 2 hours.

happyness

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 9:44 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised

This is atrocious. I am literally sitting here with my jaw in my lap. These people need to be reported to the CDC, and that so called "doctor" needs to have his license revoked! Mad

I agree.
I have half a mind to find out the name of the doctor and call a rav if I can report him.

They'll probably say-chas v'shalom, it's mesirah
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics