Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Children's Eating Habits

HelloG

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 3:13 pm
Ladies I need help. I grew up with dysfunctional eating arrangements. I am doing hypnosis and the works to help with my habits and weight. Can someone please tell me what is normal when it comes to teaching children about food. Do you control their food intake, junk, dinner choices,
I read sadlier and other books
I want more practical concepts
My 5 year old is heavy and loves to eat. I try to be neutral and non judgemental but I don't have the balance of letting her enjoy her food with freedom and being the mom to help her make good choices
Please help. This is really basic. I just can't grasp it
How do you go about food in your home?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 3:46 pm
You are a good mom, first for taking care of your own issues, and second for being aware not to project your issues on your child.

I would suggest not having nosh in the house at all. Go out for a treat, but do not have it around! Having to go out makes the treat even more special and enjoyable.

Give your child unlimited access to cut up fruits and vegetables, and make your own dip out of low fat yogurt and some seasoning. Onion soup mix or garlic salt make good kid friendly dips.

Serve veggies and proteins first, and after the plate is clean, THEN serve the starch like rice or potatoes. Otherwise your child will fill up on starch first, and not eat the other stuff.

Dessert should be more fruit. Water down juices, and encourage your child to drink lots of plain water. Keep small water bottles in the fridge. Many kids like their water extremely cold.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 3:54 pm
I think my kids eat pretty ok. I am not a health nut but expose my kids to fruit and veggies so they can learn to appreciate and enjoy. Simple stuff like cutting up veggies or fruit and salads. Basically never having nosh lije sour sticks, candies, fruit roll ups. For snacks it's popcorn, pretzels, crackers, cookies, muffins, wafers, sometimes chips and a fruit or veggie. TBH kids don't eat fruit that sat in back pack a few hours but still enjoy fresh at home. If kid eats protein and salad at meal I will not encourage them to also eat carbs, I know they'll get their carbs in somehow. That's basically it. I do believe there is a large genetic component here some of my kids just naturally love salad (yessss! Salad!) others have to be encouraged.

aliavi

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 4:24 pm
Boundaries are a necessary part of growing up and life, including with food.

As you deal with your food attitudes you will feel like they have less control of you and of your parenting. Hatzlacha on your journey!

Make it simple. Don’t buy nosh, like FF said. Don’t use food as a reward. There should be a larger serving of healthy food than non-healthy food. Eat only sitting at the table. No food after a certain time. Recognize that change is uncomfortable but it doesn’t mean it’s not worth it and won’t have some ups and downs for you both.

HelloG

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 4:55 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
You are a good mom, first for taking care of your own issues, and second for being aware not to project your issues on your child.

I would suggest not having nosh in the house at all. Go out for a treat, but do not have it around! Having to go out makes the treat even more special and enjoyable.

Give your child unlimited access to cut up fruits and vegetables, and make your own dip out of low fat yogurt and some seasoning. Onion soup mix or garlic salt make good kid friendly dips.

Serve veggies and proteins first, and after the plate is clean, THEN serve the starch like rice or potatoes. Otherwise your child will fill up on starch first, and not eat the other stuff.

Dessert should be more fruit. Water down juices, and encourage your child to drink lots of plain water. Keep small water bottles in the fridge. Many kids like their water extremely cold.

Thanks for the support
We don't have nosh except for one thing on shabbos. Always have cut up veg n almost always fruits cut up or available. We do the water bottles... Love the idea of serving the veg n protein first.
The insecurities arise in a time like yesterday at the cheesecake party. She wanted more n more n I limited to one thing but then I felt bad for controlling her. I don't want her to be starved for junk but it's still my job to limit her. What's a mother's position?
Or during breakfast when she insists on more bread instead of veg . what is my position? Do I refuse it and then she goes to school to stuff up on pasta. How do I teach healthy eating without making food an issue

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 4:59 pm
What's most important is not to criticize the child's weight. Healthy eating rules are for everyone, not targeted toward anyone specifically.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 5:08 pm
"Rules" for my 5 yo:
Breakfast is healthy (yogurt cheese cereal fruit)
Lunch is healthy
Snack (from school) is crazkers or pretzels
Snack when he gets home (so I can preserve my sanity while preparing dinner lol)
Dinner
After that, he cant usually have a snack but if he wants a cookie that I'm baking etc, I usually tell him after you eat s/t healthy.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 5:44 pm
No need to feel guilty saying one portion of cake is enough. You explain. It's not healthy to have too much cake a little is ok to enjoy. Healthy food helps you grow big and strong. One candy is ok. Eating lots of candy can make holes in your teeth. Also praise your kids for making good choices. Deena's eating lots of cucumbers! That's a healthy choice! Talk about healthy foods with positivity. Yum this peach is so crunchy and delicious, it's also full of good nutrition!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics