Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
For those who don’t work...
1  2  Next

mommyloves

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 3:54 am
What do stay at home moms do all day if they don’t have a baby at home? I stopped working and I’m bored! My kids are all in school during the day (ages 8-12) and I seriously don’t know what to do with myself. I can’t get a job right now (long story) and there’s only so much cleaning/organizing/cooking I can do. All of my friends work so I can’t meet them for lunch.

oliveoil

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 3:59 am
It's not called being a stay at home mom if you're not home with any kids.

Can you take a class? Pick up a hobby? Volunteer?

salt

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 4:24 am
Volunteer in a hospital, soup kitchen, old age home, children's home, etc.

yerushamama

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 5:51 am
If she is a mom, and she stays home she is a stay at home Mom.

Read some good books!

ectomorph

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 6:15 am
mommyloves wrote:
What do stay at home moms do all day if they don’t have a baby at home? I stopped working and I’m bored! My kids are all in school during the day (ages 8-12) and I seriously don’t know what to do with myself. I can’t get a job right now (long story) and there’s only so much cleaning/organizing/cooking I can do. All of my friends work so I can’t meet them for lunch.

I have babies but maybe u want to go back to school yourself and get another degree?

you can do chesed. Daven a long davening every morning. Go to shiurim.

mom2mysouls

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 6:37 am
I am never bored.. Organizing, mending, appts, cleaning, baking...the list never ends...
I do have a baby now, but I remember never being bored, even before my kids.
My friends always tease that I never take time to go out for lunch etc.
I would pursue opening a business...)

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 6:52 am
Volunteer at your children's school or other places
Take classes
Chessed
Go back to school and get a degree/retrain for a career
Get in shape , exercise daily

The ideas are endless

Blessing1

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 7:53 am
Oliveoil, if she is a mom, she's a stay at home mom. She doesn't must have kids home all day to be considered a stay at home mom. I worked many years and had babies home till my youngest started school. I'm never ever bored, I'm enjoying my alone time. I worked hard enough till now that I deserve some piece and quiet for a few hours. Preschool hours are so short, they're home before you know it.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 7:55 am
Get a hobby and go to classes (painting, cake decorating, knitting...)

Go to a Shuir

Go to gym every morning

Go to school

BetsyTacy

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 9:41 am
DIY

cm

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 9:41 am
Pursue your personal interests - could be taking a hobby to the next level, taking a college or community class, learning a new skill, whatever...

A few generations ago, married middle (and above) class women in many communities did not work professionally. These women, who nowadays would be lawyers, engineers, and school principals spent their time and energy on volunteer work, whether doing the hands-on tasks locally or high-level management of major organizations. Those opportunities still exist, but it is less common for younger women to work for free nowadays. If you have an interest in a particular "cause" and a skill to offer (or a willingness to learn), reach out to an organization and say "hi." Serve on a committee and take a board position. You never know where it may go.

MiriFr

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 10:13 am
Maybe take a class?
My grandmother retired young, and she got bored like 10 minutes later. She took a decorating course, and now she goes around town decorating her friends' houses and anyone who she gets recommended to.

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 10:21 am
OP,

I am so busy as a SAHM that I wish I could stay at home once in awhile.

I have my coffee when I wake up while I menu plan for the day. I also answer emails, correspondence, and stay in touch with friends. I check the news and imamother. DH usually calls during his commute and we chat. One of my kids missed the bus, so I quick ate my breakfast, dropped DC off at school, met a friend and went walking.

Now I am home and doing the rest of my exercise routine. Today is arms, abs, and treadmill. There's a six pack under my squishiness. Laugh

After I finish my exercise, I will cook lunch and dinner.

I have so much to do all the time that I can't get everything done on my to do list. The list changes daily. I take care of the family's investments. I have a couple of errands to do with that today. I am planning summer travel for my family and coordinating everyone's schedule. I also need to complete some CE credits. I am in touch with friends throughout the day. I have a couple of chessed commitments today.

You can meet your friends for lunch once in a while at their work place. You can also make new friends.

aliavi

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 11:14 am
Rethink some of the time saving hacks that you adopted as a working mother to see if they are things you want to continue now that you have some more time.

DVOM

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 12:20 pm
I am drooling as I read this thread.

What I would do with my time if I were a stay at home mom:

Sew curtains for my living room
knit
weed in my garden, plant a bigger veggie patch
paint paint paint paint!
Volenteer at my local clothing gamach. I've been buying from them for years. I'd love to give back.
cook real dinners
Take long walks
Read and eat lunch each day on my poarch swing, or down by my pond. Build a gazebo by the pond so there's somewhere to sit down there.
Find someplace to swim every day
organize mine and my kids clothing/drawers/rooms
Sand down and repaint the antique beadboard walls and built in closets and shelving in my dining room. The three painters that we had down to look at it said it is such a detailed, complicated, time consuming job they just don't want to take it on.
Reorganize my toy closets. Give stuff away.
Got to a mall and shop shop shop. I don't even need to buy anything. I just want a whole day to walk around.
Keep each of my kids home for a morning on thier own to do a project of thier choosing with me alone.
Clean my house in silence or with music of my choosing on.

aricelli

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 12:44 pm
I am a sahm and my rambunctious two year old keeps me on my toes nearly all day! Next year she’ll be out a bit- and I just signed up to volunteer! I’m really looking forward

aricelli

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 12:46 pm
DVOM wrote:
I am drooling as I read this thread.

What I would do with my time if I were a stay at home mom:

Sew curtains for my living room
knit
weed in my garden, plant a bigger veggie patch
paint paint paint paint!
Volenteer at my local clothing gamach. I've been buying from them for years. I'd love to give back.
cook real dinners
Take long walks
Read and eat lunch each day on my poarch swing, or down by my pond. Build a gazebo by the pond so there's somewhere to sit down there.
Find someplace to swim every day
organize mine and my kids clothing/drawers/rooms
Sand down and repaint the antique beadboard walls and built in closets and shelving in my dining room. The three painters that we had down to look at it said it is such a detailed, complicated, time consuming job they just don't want to take it on.
Reorganize my toy closets. Give stuff away.
Got to a mall and shop shop shop. I don't even need to buy anything. I just want a whole day to walk around.
Keep each of my kids home for a morning on thier own to do a project of thier choosing with me alone.
Clean my house in silence or with music of my choosing on.

You have your own pond?! Awwwww.

nomismommy

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 2:26 pm
I can't afford staying home but this is what I would do:

Paint
Try new recipes
Diy (making the furniture prettier maybe)
Work out

Last edited by nomismommy on Sun, Dec 29 2019, 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

gingertop

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 2:34 pm
Volunteer. Go to the library. Sign up at your local gym and pool. Go to art class. Waste time on imamother and social media. Learn things you've always wanted to understand.

That's what I do.

DVOM

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 2:39 pm
aricelli wrote:
You have your own pond?! Awwwww.

And the waterlilies are blooming now Smile Feels like living inside of a Monet, only with mosquitos.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics