Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Safe?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 5:40 pm
Is it safe to turn off the front airbags and have a baby in an infant carseat in the front passenger seat?

simba

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 5:41 pm
No

mom24.7

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 5:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is it safe to turn off the front airbags and have a baby in an infant carseat in the front passenger seat?

Do you think it is safe??

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 6:01 pm
If the airbags are off? Why not?

groovy1224

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 6:09 pm
I'm pretty sure it's illegal, unless there's nowhere else to put the carseat. If you have to, then yes you should disable the air bags.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 6:10 pm
because they can fly out the windshield, that's why!

why would the baby need to be in the front seat?

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 6:13 pm
Oh my no way!!!
It's dangerous and illegal.
I'm pretty sure kids under 8/10 can't be in the front seat.

groovy1224

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 6:15 pm
pesek zman wrote:
because they can fly out the windshield, that's why!

why would the baby need to be in the front seat?

I think she means in a rear facing infant seat. Assuming the seat is properly installed and the airbag turned off, the safety difference is probably minimal (except for the fact that statistically, rear seats are safer than front seats). I'm just not sure it's legal.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 6:22 pm
Most laws have a height and weight restriction on front seat passengers. My very petite DD was pretty unhappy that she had to wait until she was 13 before she could safely ride in the front.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 12 2019, 6:40 pm
OP, please don't do it. I hope you can find a better solution.
I don't wish anything on anyone but even being stopped for a rear light that's out....

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 8:06 am
groovy1224 wrote:
I think she means in a rear facing infant seat. Assuming the seat is properly installed and the airbag turned off, the safety difference is probably minimal (except for the fact that statistically, rear seats are safer than front seats). I'm just not sure it's legal.

Of course I mean a rear facing infant carseat.
I've seen lots of ppl with infant rear facing carseats up front. Trying to understand if it's safe if airbags are disabled.

Also, on a car warning it says u can't have a baby upfront because of fear of suffocation from airbags, so if it's disabled...?

Side point- what do u do if it's only u and the baby in the back and the baby is screaming?

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 8:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Of course I mean a rear facing infant carseat.
I've seen lots of ppl with infant rear facing carseats up front. Trying to understand if it's safe if airbags are disabled.

Also, on a car warning it says u can't have a baby upfront because of fear of suffocation from airbags, so if it's disabled...?

Side point- what do u do if it's only u and the baby in the back and the baby is screaming?

Baby is in the back seat no matter what. Just because you see others doing it doesn’t mean it’s safe or smart. If the crying and screaming is so bad that it’s disturbing your driving concentration then pull over

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 8:33 am
It is not safe. If the baby is screaming, what would be the benefit to having the baby up front? I'd just try to talk/sing/put on music, but focus must stick to the road. If can't concentrate, need to pull over.

blessedjmom

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 8:37 am
I think in Israel it's recommended to out the car seat in the front.
Please correct me of I'm wrong. I just see it here very! Often. waiting

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 9:37 am
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
It is not safe. If the baby is screaming, what would be the benefit to having the baby up front? I'd just try to talk/sing/put on music, but focus must stick to the road. If can't concentrate, need to pull over.

The benefit would be to be able to reach the baby.
Give a pacifier, or rattle a toy etc

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 9:39 am
blessedjmom wrote:
I think in Israel it's recommended to out the car seat in the front.
Please correct me of I'm wrong. I just see it here very! Often. waiting

Recommended as in better front than back? Then why is everyone in the US saying it's not safe? Scratching Head

Mayflower

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 9:48 am
In the EU it is legal to have a baby in an infant carseat in the front passenger seat as long as it's rear facing and the airbag is disabled.

We've done it. I don't see why it would be less safe than in the back seat.

aricelli

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 9:49 am
By the way- I’m not sure about car seats but there is no law about putting children in the front seat. It isn’t recommended because of the danger of air bags but it isn’t illegal as far as I can see. I tried to research this after getting into an argument with someone who put my child in the front seat of his car and boy was I upset!

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 9:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The benefit would be to be able to reach the baby.
Give a pacifier, or rattle a toy etc

NONE OF WHICH IS SAFE WHILE DRIVING

cholentfan1

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 9:55 am
I remember when we bought our car seat that they said we could have a rear facing car seat in the front as long as the airbag was disabled...don't know if american law is different to european law though...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics