Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Safe?
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 7:14 am
Okay so I looked up the laws.
In the US it varies by state. It's legal in some states as long as airbags are disabled. In some states it's illegal.
In Israel it is legal, again as long as airbags are disabled.

So all those saying it's completely not safe, I'm wondering where you're coming from?

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 7:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Okay so I looked up the laws.
In the US it varies by state. It's legal in some states as long as airbags are disabled. In some states it's illegal.
In Israel it is legal, again as long as airbags are disabled.

So all those saying it's completely not safe, I'm wondering where you're coming from?

NY. And if for no other reason than a mother who is distracted by crying and busy propping up a bottle is an unsafe driver. I’m not sure why that part isn’t clear

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 7:31 am
It’s really dangerous to be doing other things while driving. Giving a pacifier, toy or bottle, trying to tock or pat the baby, or other "mommying" is way more dangerous that a crying baby in the back seat.
My father told me that newer cars are made more secure in the front. Therefore it is actually considered safe to put a rear facing car seat with the airbag off.
I like my infants most protected in the worst possible scenario. AFAIK, that is the middle of the back.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 8:24 am
I would only do this as a last resort, if there were already car seats in the back seat so the infant seat won't fit, and you couldn't walk etc. Not just because it is more convenient.

obviously to be entirely safe walk, or better yet stay home covered in bubble wrap.

groovy1224

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 8:43 am
pesek zman wrote:
NY. And if for no other reason than a mother who is distracted by crying and busy propping up a bottle is an unsafe driver. I’m not sure why that part isn’t clear

But then why is it any more unsafe than having a whiny 12 year old in the front seat?

From what I am aware, the unsafe part is the airbag. If the airbag is not an issue, then it's really no different than any other seat, except that the further back in a vehicle one sits, the less likely it is that they will be injured or killed in an accident.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 8:59 am
groovy1224 wrote:
But then why is it any more unsafe than having a whiny 12 year old in the front seat?

From what I am aware, the unsafe part is the airbag. If the airbag is not an issue, then it's really no different than any other seat, except that the further back in a vehicle one sits, the less likely it is that they will be injured or killed in an accident.

The 12 year old can hold her own bottle, sl to speak. She doesn’t need you looking at her going gaga googoo. She won’t drop her toy on the floor and leave you wondering if you should try to pick it up. She won’t need your eyes on her. Because an infant it nothing like a tween

Rappel

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 9:01 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Of course I mean a rear facing infant carseat.
I've seen lots of ppl with infant rear facing carseats up front. Trying to understand if it's safe if airbags are disabled.

Also, on a car warning it says u can't have a baby upfront because of fear of suffocation from airbags, so if it's disabled...?

Side point- what do u do if it's only u and the baby in the back and the baby is screaming?

It's legal in Israel, but most people don't do it.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 9:05 am
pesek zman wrote:
NONE OF WHICH IS SAFE WHILE DRIVING

A crying baby is one of the most dangerous things you can have in a car. If you must travel with a baby, it is better to take the smaller risks than to crash because he's screaming the whole time.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics