Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Raining no umbrella no school

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 12:27 pm
It’s raining today. I’m out of umbrellas. I buy and they disappear.

My girls walk to school and without an umbrella when it’s pouring outside it’s kind of hard.

I offered a rainbonnet with a spring jacket and a winter coat with a hood. It was around 60 def maybe less.

One daughter went to a neighbor to borrow an umbrella. Daughter 2 refused all options and refused to go to school.

How should I have handled it?

watergirl

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 12:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It’s raining today. I’m out of umbrellas. I buy and they disappear.

My girls walk to school and without an umbrella when it’s pouring outside it’s kind of hard.

I offered a rainbonnet with a spring jacket and a winter coat with a hood. It was around 60 def maybe less.

One daughter went to a neighbor to borrow an umbrella. Daughter 2 refused all options and refused to go to school.

How should I have handled it?

Assuming you have no car - hop in an uber or cab with the kids and ride with them to and from school. Or run (uber) to Target before school and get more umbrellas.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 12:43 pm
For next time, raincoats with hoods. We don’t use umbrellas in or familiy: they’re annoying to hold and too easy to lose.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 12:46 pm
This almost happened in my house this morning.
-Girls are embarrassed to wear raincoats (?)!
-Spring jackets don’t have hoods
- I did have an umbrella but dd said NO ONE comes to school with an umbrella
Winter coats too warm for today

We had issues with the pouring rain and coats here too

But

I got in my car and drove at the end.

OP, what is your backup plan if a child can’t walk to school? Do you have another family member you ask to drive?
Do you use car services?

You should have gotten her there somehow... buy rain jackets or umbrellas for the future -

A day off every once in a while is not so terrible.., don’t be angry at her. She didn’t do anything bad. Discuss with her what she will do the next time it rains hard in the morning.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 12:48 pm
Yes, get raincoats with hoods -- size up, so they can fit over a light jacket for layered warmth.

And buy a bunch of umbrellas in different colors, designating who it belongs to. If you lose too many (and its up to you to decide how many that is), you have to buy yourself a new one from savings or allowance.

And if I couldn't drive the child to school, I would have let her go in late, when the rain slowed down.

ETA --

Or have a few of these around for emergencies: https://www.target.com/p/shedr.....metab

Last edited by SixOfWands on Thu, Jun 13 2019, 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Raisin

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 12:50 pm
you can buy raincoats that fold up really small. Your girls can keep them in schoolbags for situations like this.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 12:53 pm
My humble opinion there is more going on there than rain

One of my boys in one school.
His foot hurts , his stomach hurts, he wants to go to Chucky cheese , it's too cold etc... I

The next school he went to, there was 6 inches if show . I was waiting to hear if school was cancelled, and he already ran half way to the school...

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 12:56 pm
I grew up in Miami. We all had good rain coats, some had umbrellas and/or rain boots. If we didn’t go to school every time it rained....

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 2:44 pm
We don't use umbrella's. We all wear good raincoat or a jacket with a hood/rainbonnet. I've never heard of the rain being an excuse not to go to school.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 2:47 pm
I buy stacks of the $3 umbrellas for the kids because they disappear as fast as they are used. I use the more expensive umbrellas and the kids know they cannot take them. I keep replenishing the $3 umbrellas. If I see I have less than 4, I restock right away.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics