Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Raising Charity - Ethical Question

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 12:44 pm
I'm not sure where this belongs or how to title it, but here is my question:
DH and I financially helped out a family for approximately 2 years. We would usually give some of our money in combination with raising money from charitable organizations or other friends in order to pay for expenses such as rent, utilities, clothing, insurance, etc. There were times when, in addition to the charity we gave, that the family asked us to lay out money here and there with promises to pay it back or times when we laid it out because we did not want them evicted, but the money had been in excess of what he were comfortable donating.

These people BH now have decent jobs and are able to financially support themselves, but just get by. Do you think it is would ethical for us to approach some of the people who helped in the past for "rent" money to be reimbursed to us or is that wrong? We still owe around $5,000 to their previous landlord as per the lease agreement, so would ideally like to raise this too as we cannot afford to pay all of this on our own.

Thanks.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 1:00 pm
Ask a rav. If I were the last person on earth and you had to rely on me, I'd say no. But b"H you can ask a rav.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 1:03 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Ask a rav. If I were the last person on earth and you had to rely on me, I'd say no. But b"H you can ask a rav.

We asked and were told me could raise money and use it towards what we laid. I'm just asking from an ethical perspective here. I know it is common where I live.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics