Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Husband first job
Previous  1  2

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 9:21 pm
Quote:
Was it a hard transition from yeshiva to ivy league law school? Most guys I know don't have the educational backgrounds to even have college level English. I always wonder how guys manage to keep up with this level of education.

My DH went to a pretty prestigious PA school and had no problem. He went to a yeshiva high school that actually valued their secular education somewhat so he felt pretty prepared. Scored in the 98th percentile on his GRE and graduated college with honors.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 9:46 pm
5 years of full time kolel, paid basically nothing. So transition to a job that paid peanuts was still easier living than kolel (finance wise)
He always had a mechanical mind, very good at understanding the science of how things work so he apprenticed with a heating/cooling company and got paid peanuts for a year or 2, until he knew enough to become an HVAC technician. Now makes about $75k but has the potential to make a lot more B"EH

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 10:04 pm
Following... my DH wants to work in property management. He’s taking the PCS course. He has a HS diploma. When he went to talk to PCS they said first year job is a ten hour work day average salary $35k. If your good you can make a lot more after a few years. Eventually he dreams of running his own show (his dad has this business but overseas.)
He’s been looking for 2 months and didn’t even get one interview. Sad open to NY and NJ area.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 10:17 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Wow!
Didn't he need 4 yrs undergrad to go to Med school?

Needed 3 years undergrad. Was able to trasfer only a few yeshiva credits, needed to start sciences from scratch etc.. just finshed 1st year med school. Starting 2nd year in a few weeks ...

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 10:26 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Following... my DH wants to work in property management. He’s taking the PCS course. He has a HS diploma. When he went to talk to PCS they said first year job is a ten hour work day average salary $35k. If your good you can make a lot more after a few years. Eventually he dreams of running his own show (his dad has this business but overseas.)
He’s been looking for 2 months and didn’t even get one interview. Sad open to NY and NJ area.

Property management is a harder field to get into I think. Many landlords are managing themselves and aren't hiring. (My dh wasn't in kollel but he had lost his job before we got married due to his company losing properties) bh he found a job and now makes almost 200k (started 9 years ago at 40k) which from what I understand the higher side of management...next step would need to be going on his own...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics