Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
ObamaCare/Medicaid in NY for Family of 5

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 9:02 pm
I am trying to figure out if it's worth it for me to work next year.

If I work full time we'll be making 88k combined.

So my question is how much will ObamaCare/NYMedicaid cost for me if we make 88k a year? And other amounts too.

Because I can also work part-time if I know the difference will keep us in the threshold.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 9:03 pm
You can find the income guidelines online.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 9:08 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
You can find the income guidelines online.

I did that already but didn't get anything definitive. Has anyone tried it themselves and if so what were the thresholds?

esuss

Post Thu, Jun 13 2019, 9:13 pm
You may lose family health plus/ Medicaid for adults but still retain it for children. So check premiums for regular plan for the adults. Also will a full time job give you health insurance?

seeker

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 2:02 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I did that already but didn't get anything definitive. Has anyone tried it themselves and if so what were the thresholds?

I don't know why they're so secretive about it but AFTER you apply you get a little clue - the result you get says something like "because your income is greater than x but less than y, you qualify for ____ plan at ____ cost." But at the beginning of the process they just tell you that they won't be able to have any clue at all until you go through the process. Banging head

88k combined doesn't sound like a whole lot for a family of 5. You would probably get a significant tax credit from Obamacare. Kids who are born into Medicaid or Child Health Plus are always entitled to Child Health Plus which always has low premiums (different levels of low but always truly low) and I think always no copays, deductible, or anything. So at most you only need to worry about a plan for yourself and DH.

Bottom line, if you would come out ahead after childcare, transportation, and any other work costs, then health insurance is probably not going to make it or break it. It should end up worthwhile especially if you have a chance for eventual career advancement. Your projected income is quite low for your family size and you need to consider what moves now can add to your future prospects.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics