Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Keto diet for beginners
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 12:55 pm
Do you weigh your carbs and protein?

I've heard people have really stinking breath on the keto diet, is this accurate?

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 1:06 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
It doesn't look like you eat proper food...
How can you be eating so little...
Just coffee till afternoon!

What are electrolytes?

Butter is norishing. It contains a lot of essential fatty acids, k2, etc.
I eat a big green salad with raw veggies in it, 2x a day, or both big green salad and a cooked veggie broccoli, spinach, cauliflower,
Sometimes I’ll have a large cabbage salad
When I mean large I mean a huge serving bowl.
Of course my veggies are laden with yummy fats.
I eat protein total about 6-8oz a day, with nourishing fat

My calories for the day come out to 1200 - 1500 calories, sometimes more.
Taking into concideration that I’m a little shorter than 5 ft tall, that is enough calories for me.

I add electrolytes to my water, sodium, magnesium, potassium.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 12:06 pm
Blessed4 wrote:
Good for you that you can stick to this! anyone else on keto that finds they don’t need to eat because they’re just not hungry?? Or is there more to it....

Amethyst is correct. Often on keto you eat way less bec you are not hungry and the foods that you do eat are a lot more filling. However, you don't start out this way. Start out with a keto-friendly food plan that includes meals and snacks, no calorie counting. As time goes on, you may find yourself naturally dropping or cutting down on meals and snacks. Adjust accordingly. If you just plan it and start, you'll see for yourself that it works.
(FYI, I prefer carb manager app, it's more keto oriented, since the focus isn't calorie counting).
(Once you are fully keto-adapted and used to it, you can try mixing it with intermittent fasting for better results).
Electrolytes are super important. So is chicken soup, as salt is metabolized differently on the keto diet.
Regarding carbs vs net carbs. My understanding is up to 20 net carbs a day and up to 30 carbs or something like that. You see what works for you.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 12:42 pm
Dh did some research on keto. Apparently it’s very effective for men and post-menopausal women. So it looks like it’s worth attempting for me in about 15 years.

Are you pre-menopausal and successful on it?

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 1:29 pm
You really have to know your body type and what works.
For me, keto would make me stay the same weight, no energy, and have terrible skin. In order for me to lose weight, I need to load up on healthy carbs and cut out the fat (basically opposite of keto).
You should talk to a nutritionist and see what they recommend!
But if you do decide to stick with keto, Birch Benders (find in target) makes heaven keto pancake mix!

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 1:34 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
You really have to know your body type and what works.
For me, keto would make me stay the same weight, no energy, and have terrible skin. In order for me to lose weight, I need to load up on healthy carbs and cut out the fat (basically opposite of keto).
You should talk to a nutritionist and see what they recommend!
But if you do decide to stick with keto, Birch Benders (find in target) makes heaven keto pancake mix!

Have you tried going on keto?

Tzivia18

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 2:41 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Do you weigh your carbs and protein?

I've heard people have really stinking breath on the keto diet, is this accurate?

I've heard many people confuse halitosis (bad breath) with ketosis. It's not the same thing at all even though it rhymes.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 2:14 am
According to Dr. Westman total vs net carbs is like perscription vs OTC medication.

For those that are not successful on keto
IMO
Fatigue- comes from not drinking enough water and not supplementing with electrolytes, especially sodium.
Weightloss- ppl confuse low carb and keto
One reason for no Weightloss is not strictly tracking macros. Most “faux” “treat” foods have too many carbs. They should only be used occasionally as a crutch.
They are not truly in ketosis.

Another, protein too high. Keto is moderate protein. Your protein should be 1 g per KG OF IDEAL body weight, BMI of 22 is ideal body weight.

Third, eating too frequently and when not hungry. Every time you eat you spike insulin.

Fourth using sweetners, many stimulate an insulin response.

And don’t forget the use of inflammatory oils.
Inflammation also causes an insulin response.
This is my opinion

Rappel

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 3:12 am
Hmm. I have some questions:

I like long-haul exercise, like hiking and horse back riding. A keto-er warned me that the keto diet eats up your strength and stamina for strenuous activity. Does anyone here want to weigh in on their experiences in this area?

I have hypothyroidism, and I take a very high dose to manage it. My main health goal right now is to create a lifestyle where it will stop affecting me. Has anyone seen any correlation between keto and thyroid regulation?

Do you think the majority of the benefit from keto comes from low carb, intermittent fasting, something else, low wheat, etc?

How do you fulfill your seudah obligation when you have one?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 9:45 am
Rappel wrote:

I like long-haul exercise, like hiking and horse back riding. A keto-er warned me that the keto diet eats up your strength and stamina for strenuous activity. Does anyone here want to weigh in on their experiences in this area?

I have hypothyroidism, and I take a very high dose to manage it. My main health goal right now is to create a lifestyle where it will stop affecting me. Has anyone seen any correlation between keto and thyroid regulation?

Do you think the majority of the benefit from keto comes from low carb, intermittent fasting, something else, low wheat, etc?

I have this question as well. I tried keto when I was on vacation. It was fine. I am not hungry a lot in general and dont eat a lot.

But, as soon as I went back to work, I tried keto a few weeks. I was exhausted and couldn't continue. I have to do physical...in work and had no energy. Ppl say it takes time for the body to get into ketosis, and ppl say one will feel exhausted until the body gets into ketosis. Now, bec I started keto and my body never went into ketosis, I gained a few pounds from keto diet, and I need to work hard to lose it. In general, I always ate healthy, tried to eat low carb, healthier foods, hardly any sugar....I regret starting keto...I had no energy on it, and gained few pounds.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 10:33 am
Generally speaking exhaustion indicates low sodium. Many ultra athletes do ketosis based diets because then they never run out of fuel or hit a wall when they run out of glycogen.

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 10:42 am
Rappel wrote:

You can do cyclical keto, where you eat slightly higher carb on the day you're going on a hike. Actually, many elite athletes do this. Once the carbs are burnt, there's a whole store of ketones in your system to help maintain your energy. The army is actually researching keto to help soldiers have more endurance for this reason.

I do intense exercise, so on those days, I eat grapefruit and maybe some almonds for breakfast, with a coffee that contains heavy cream and MCT oil.

Then I eat my normal keto diet the rest of the day. So on workout days, I might have 35 grams of carbs, and on regular days, it's under 20.

I maintain high levels of ketosis (I have a blood meter and I monitor it), even on days that I eat the higher carbs (but I don't think I would if I didn't exercise intensively on those days)

I find my endurance is BETTER. I do find that my post-workout fatigue is a bit worse, until I eat.

marina

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 12:43 pm
just started running in the mornings
feel fabulous
haven’t had carbs since 2016

hypothyroidism- would not recommend keto unless your dr advises differently.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 1:11 pm
marina wrote:
just started running in the mornings
feel fabulous
haven’t had carbs since 2016

Haven't had starches or haven't hard carbs? It's easy to avoid starches. really hard to avoid carbs. It would mean you haven't had a vegetable or fruit since 2016.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 3:53 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Dh did some research on keto. Apparently it’s very effective for men and post-menopausal women. So it looks like it’s worth attempting for me in about 15 years.

Are you pre-menopausal and successful on it?

My 23 year old son is so keto he is almost carnivore and it works for myriad things for him. Not just weight loss.

20 year old daughter goes very low carb while is school because it really helps her ADD.

My husband is on it.

I am on it. Working for all of us!

marina

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 4:02 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Haven't had starches or haven't hard carbs? It's easy to avoid starches. really hard to avoid carbs. It would mean you haven't had a vegetable or fruit since 2016.

haven’t had real carbs like bread or grapes or potatoes. I have carbs from lettuce and broccoli all the time but don’t really count those as much as I should

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 4:52 pm
marina wrote:
haven’t had real carbs like bread or grapes or potatoes. I have carbs from lettuce and broccoli all the time but don’t really count those as much as I should

I get it. I have also heard that people count net carbs, where you subtract fiber and sugar alcohols. I think lettuce and broccoli have enough fiber and few enough carbs that they qualify as zero carb.

Are you planning to do this for life? It must be hard.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 7:03 pm
[quote="JoyInTheMorning”

Are you planning to do this for life? It must be hard.[/quote]

I have been doing this for over two years. I intend to do it for life. I don’t find it difficult. Any possible inconvenience has been settled by intermittent fasting, good planning and the yummy food I eat ( enjoying a pre Shabbat snack of greben right now)

Re: carbs in low carb veg, it really depends on the person. I eat minimal vegetation because it affects Me negatively. I don’t count my macros. I eat real food. I eat until I
Am full and I take my time eating so that I actually know when I am full and don’t overeat.

There’s a difference between ‘keto’ and ketosis based ways of eating. Some people can eat 50 or 70 g of carbs and still be in ketosis and not experience cravings. Personally, I need to be closest to zero possible not to experience cravings. I also avoid nuts and too much cheese. They make me snacky. That’s me. I do what works for me. This isn’t weight watchers. No one ‘lets’ Me do or not do. I choose what I eat based on its affects, my choice to remain recovered from type 2 diabetes and avoid retinopathy.

Others base it on weight or inflammatory issues.

You start somewhere and then you fix what you need personally as you go. Be honest. Do what works for you.

Rappel

Post Sat, Jun 22 2019, 3:18 pm
marina wrote:

Why?

Greenbelle

Post Fri, Jan 29 2021, 9:49 am
Is someone here willing to mentor me a little? My greatest issue is the morning cake with coffee. Is there something I can substitute? I don't have time for too much baking or meal prep. But my knees are already starting to hurt and I'm way too young for that... 😢
If anyone is willing to PM contact number, I would appreciate that.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise