Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
What can you tell me about hair extensions for girl

hanna2010

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 2:49 pm
My kallah age daughter has very thin hair. I was considering getting her extensions to add more body, not for length as she looks better in shorter hair.
I know absolutely zero about what this involves.
Please fill me in how it works? Cost? How long till they have to be replaced? And anything else important to know?
TIA

pesek zman

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 2:51 pm
Has she asked for this? Or are you wanting her to do it?

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 3:12 pm
On the cheaper end- a pack can be less than 100$ in the beauty supply store.
More expensive end 3-400$ plus ... custom made etc.
She needs to have them cut to the length of her hair and she can put them in and style them herself everyday..
The need to be replaced when they are thinning / splitting. If she wears them everyday maybe a year or so

Amarante

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 3:51 pm
There are semi permanent extensions and clip on extensions. You would go to a beauty salon and have the semi permanent ones put on and styled.

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Jun 14 2019, 4:06 pm
If you do it long term, it can cause the natural hair to thin/fall out.

hanna2010

Post Sat, Jun 15 2019, 11:11 pm
I brought it up with her because she’s very unhappy with her hair... rightfully so. She really needs something to help her look better. Please understand this is not a case of a girl who’s beautiful and put together and just wants to look glamourous. She wants and needs help in this area, and without going into details, she has some limitations.
She won’t be able to put on the extensions and figure it all out herself. I guess I’m thinking of semi permanent ones.
How does that work and to the poster that says it makes ones hair fall out... can you tell me more about that?

amother
Cyan

Post Sat, Jun 15 2019, 11:35 pm
I don't have specifics, because in my day, the only people who got them were wealthy celebs, not regular people. (I remember Britney Spears shaving her head to try to kick start hair growth when she lost so much due to her extensions, oh, about 15 years ago.)
It's not something heavily advertised, but there's a reason people mostly do the temporary shorter term kind....
If your daughter already has thin hair, I wouldn't advise it.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sat, Jun 15 2019, 11:36 pm
she should totally do something like this. Another option is a half shaitle piece that can be added to the back of the hair.

nnmom

Post Sat, Jun 15 2019, 11:45 pm
What about “Halo” extensions?

hanna2010

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 2:10 am
Amother chocolate... do you know anything about the claims that amother cyan said regarding hair thinning from it?
Also, I’m concerned my daughter won’t be able to put the hair extensions in easily on her own so that’s why I’m considering more permanent but I know zero about it or it’s costs and how often it needs replacement.
Instead of asking hairdressers who do this, I’m looking for non-partial feedback.

Nnmom, what are halos?

hanna2010

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 10:00 am
Bump

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 10:05 am
Everything you need to know is here. This website is a goldmine for hair issues:
https://www.headcovers.com/res.....ions/

Read the pros and cons about all the options with your daughter, and you can make an informed decision from there.

You are a good mama for wanting to help your daughter feel better about herself. Lady

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 10:08 am
Can't link because I'm on my phone, but just looked it up. The long term kind (glued or sewn in) at a salon begins at about $300 + $75 for each additional track of hair, average price quoted was between $800 and $1400. And the only kind guaranteed not to damage the natural hair is the clip on, temporary kind.
That's why you will see celebs doing it short term for a red carpet event, but not on a regular basis.
Listen, all you have to do is Google it, you can do the research quite easily.

nnmom

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 10:18 am
http://halocouture.com/couture-extensions/
Essentially it’s a row of extensions with a clear fishing wire around the crown.
I have it and it’s great

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 10:49 am
I have very thin hair and when I was kallah age, I used Couvre and Toppik.

She should try Toppik first - it really worked well.

A friend tried extensions and it made her hair thinner, so I wouldn't recommend them on a daily basis.

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 2:16 pm
Can you get your daughter a yamukah cap wig? They add fullness to hair in a natural looking way.

amother
White

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 2:23 pm
hanna2010 wrote:
Amother chocolate... do you know anything about the claims that amother cyan said regarding hair thinning from it?
Also, I’m concerned my daughter won’t be able to put the hair extensions in easily on her own so that’s why I’m considering more permanent but I know zero about it or it’s costs and how often it needs replacement.
Instead of asking hairdressers who do this, I’m looking for non-partial feedback.

Nnmom, what are halos?

It is super simple to add in the extensions on ur own no need to go to extremes and get the permanent ones- me and many of my friends wore when single (for reference, I cannot blowdry or style my own hair because I have two left hands).

You can buy some at Sally’s for under 100 I think or around that.

I had the person who usually does my hair cut them to length and style them. Whenever I got my hair done (once in a few months) she would restyle them again/ maybe wash them before also.

It was not a big investment and caused zero damage to my very delicate/ sensitive hair and was very easy to deal with.

Eta- if she’s a hard color you might need to go to a stylist to get extensions and that probably costs more. My friends that’s are brunettes had no issue finding and some blondes are also relatively easy.

hanna2010

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 2:50 pm
Thank you to everyone who responded. Very helpful!
I appreciate the website with the info as well as the all the different things to try.

Amother white, especially helpful as my daughter can’t really blow or style her own hair easily either.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics