Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
NAILS

STRONGMOM

Post Mon, Aug 22 2005, 10:38 am
For the past few weeks, I have to 'fight'with my baby to cut his nails. Hes 10 months old and he doesnt let me touch his nails!!! I hate long nails on children. I tried to do it when he was sleeping (something advised me so) but no success.
Any advice???

RedVines

Post Mon, Aug 22 2005, 10:40 am
I just hold them on my lap, very firm, so they can tkick their legs and the other hand is out of the way, my daughter is the same was she screams and screams, but it has to get done.

I usually wait until right after a bath, she is calmer and the nails are softer!

buba123

Post Mon, Aug 22 2005, 10:45 am
My dd is 8 months old. I give her a special small toy to hold in her hand - I then cut the other hands' nails. It's still a bit tricky bec. she squirms Wink

Tefila

Post Mon, Aug 22 2005, 11:50 am
mommyoftwo ditto 8)
except I won't cut after the bath coz then they r so soft I can cut their fingers, which I once did shock ... I cut my daughter pinky the tip thinking it was the nail poor baby Rolling Eyes Crying embarrassed

buba123

Post Mon, Aug 22 2005, 5:41 pm
freilich - happens to all of us, unfortunately! You know what's the biggest fight in my house - not when I cut my dd's nails, nor my 3 year old sons' nails - but when I cut my 5 year old sons' toenails...I have him sing the ABC song while doing it. He's so busy concentrating not to mix up the alphabet that it's not that huge a struggle! I also have my younger son sing that song - he knew the alphabet at such a young age! Smile
BTW - like your new pic!

lucy

Post Mon, Aug 22 2005, 11:22 pm
I think the older they are the worse it gets to cut their nails! I need my DH to hold them down, it's become a crazed struggle. Is this normal?

baby's mom

Post Tue, Aug 23 2005, 12:46 am
buba123 wrote:
My dd is 8 months old. I give her a special small toy to hold in her hand - I then cut the other hands' nails. It's still a bit tricky bec. she squirms Wink

my dd also 8 months needs to be distracted, however when she plays with a toy she needs both hands, so it is a little tricky. I think the trick is to hold the finger firmly, and do it carefully and quickly.

nechamashifra

Post Tue, Aug 23 2005, 11:19 am
If you cut their nails within the first hour or so when they fall asleep it usually works because they're in a really deep sleep at that time.

shira

Post Tue, Aug 23 2005, 11:27 am
I cut my 15 mo old's nails WHILE I'm nursing him embarrassed. Hey, it works!

Rivka

Post Wed, Aug 24 2005, 2:51 pm
Try to distract your child with stuff, like point at things and marvel about how amazing they are and go on forever, your child may really look or wonder how long his mother can actually drone on and on for...quite fascinating really.
I used to let my son hold the case for the scissors while I cute them and I told him he has to hold it with one hand.
Or sometimes I would tell him how long his nails are and go on and on about how dangerous they are and how they hurt everyone....one long story basically and he was only about 10 months...I think he was fascinated by how much rubbish could come out of my mouth in such a short amount of time. Tongue Out

1stimer

Post Thu, Aug 25 2005, 1:07 pm
Oh yeh! It's such a struggle to cut his nails, every week I have to dream up some devious plan to try and get him to co-operate and it rarely works. I do it as fast as possible, make as much noise as I can (so he can't make noise!!) and when it's over, horray over ... till next week!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics