Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Vaccine question
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

Maybe

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 4:41 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Also, regarding these allergies that went away with measles: Allergies go away sometimes. I was allergic to strawberries as a kid but outgrew it by the time I was 10 or 11. My kid had a nut allergy and outgrew it. (They say kids don't outgrow nut allergies, but I can show you one who did.) So who's to say that it's the measles that fixed the allergy problem?

Oh so 5 kids in 1 family had measles & coincidentally lost their dairy allergy , give me a break!!!

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 4:47 am
Hay fever, dyslexia, dandruff...
vs
Tetanus, diptheria, polio

Though choice isn't it?

JoyInTheMorning

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 6:41 am
Maybe wrote:
Oh so 5 kids in 1 family had measles & coincidentally lost their dairy allergy , give me a break!!!

I'm finding it hard to believe 5 kids in 1 family with a dairy allergy. The tendency to allergies runs in families, but not the specific allergy. A lot of these stories seem over the top to me.

In any case, as amother Vermilion pointed out, the "recovery" from allergy due to measles may only be temporary. Which would make sense, actually, as the immune system is known to be ravaged by measles. For several years after having measles, people are more apt to get all sorts of non-minor illnesses. You may think it's a worthwhile trade-off to get very sick several times over the course of a few years in order to be able to eat dairy during that time. Many others would not.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 7:58 am
I am not sure where anyone is getting statistics from but the hospital admission rate (including NICU and PICU) was significant for residents of Monsey and Brooklyn. Would those cases have been mortality cases in a less advanced country? I truly hope that none of the stricken infants and children are found to have serious repercussions down the line, chas v'sholem, because everyone is busy saying that the measles was no big deal and I truly hope that is correct.
Meanwhile, read Paul Offit's 2011 book, "Deadly Choices, How the Anti-Vaccine Movement Threatens Us All" and see for yourself what happens when some very serious VPDs get a foothold. If you need me to return the book to Finkelstein library so you can read it, please PM me.

Miri1

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 8:22 am
Maybe wrote:

Joy in the Morning was writing that kids can naturlally grow out of allergies, and therefore we can't attribute a recovery to measles. You were responding to Joy, but I think you meant to respond to someone else.

Last edited by Miri1 on Mon, Jun 17 2019, 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Miri1

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 8:32 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
vs

Though choice isn't it?

The person who wrote this was using these examples hypothetically, sheesh.
She was trying to say that even though we see overall safety with vaccines, some refined studies may point to certain "risks" or detractors that we'd say are worth it, and some may may show up risks that we decide may not be worth it... or we may see reason to go back to the drawing board with certain vaccines to come up with something EVEN SAFER.

Some people's posts are well thought out and nuanced and it's not all about being pro vax or anti vax! I'm reading a lot of knee jerk responses.

momsrus

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 8:57 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
I'm finding it hard to believe 5 kids in 1 family with a dairy allergy. The tendency to allergies runs in families, but not the specific allergy. A lot of these stories seem over the top to me.

In any case, as amother Vermilion pointed out, the "recovery" from allergy due to measles may only be temporary. Which would make sense, actually, as the immune system is known to be ravaged by measles. For several years after having measles, people are more apt to get all sorts of non-minor illnesses. You may think it's a worthwhile trade-off to get very sick several times over the course of a few years in order to be able to eat dairy during that time. Many others would not.

I just want to point out that it’s not that people think so it in order to eat dairy. I can tell you for me, I wish my children would outgrow their dairy allergy so that I wouldn’t have to worry about accidental ingestion anymore.

I would love to hear a doc tell me he’s seems an entire family cured from a sever dairy allergt from one day to the next.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 8:58 am
Miri1 wrote:
The person who wrote this was using these examples hypothetically, sheesh.
She was trying to say that even though we see overall safety with vaccines, some refined studies may point to certain "risks" or detractors that we'd say are worth it, and some may may show up risks that we decide may not be worth it... or we may see reason to go back to the drawing board with certain vaccines to come up with something EVEN SAFER.

Some people's posts are well thought out and nuanced and it's not all about being pro vax or anti vax! I'm reading a lot of knee jerk responses.

This. Yet there's nothing new with this.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 10:49 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
vs

Though choice isn't it?

Do you also like the hypothetical choice between polio and leukemia?

The problem is that we don't even know the question. Is it something mild like dandruff (which most of us will agree is an excellent tradeoff) or something more serious, where the decision is less clear-cut? (I'll take chickenpox over an increased chance of MS for example)

JoyInTheMorning

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 1:22 pm
I'm just finding the miraculous recovery from dairy allergy a bit hard to believe. I'm trying to envision this. A mom has five kids who are already somewhat fragile, since they all have a life-threatening allergy to milk (an allergy, by the way, that kids usually outgrow anyway. It's most common in children under 3.) Then they get the measles. That can't have been easy for them.

They're better now. So, first thing she does -- or anyway, something she does within months of them getting better -- is feed them milk, the thing that has previously threatened their lives.

What kind of mom does that?

Sebastian

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 1:31 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
I'm just finding the miraculous recovery from dairy allergy a bit hard to believe. I'm trying to envision this. A mom has five kids who are already somewhat fragile, since they all have a life-threatening allergy to milk (an allergy, by the way, that kids usually outgrow anyway. It's most common in children under 3.) Then they get the measles. That can't have been easy for them.

They're better now. So, first thing she does -- or anyway, something she does within months of them getting better -- is feed them milk, the thing that has previously threatened their lives.

the same kind of mom that purposely exposes her kids to a life threatening disease b/c it's inconvenient for her to keep them home from school.

If this story isn't embellished, which I doubt.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 1:36 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:

Omg. This cracked me up 😂

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 1:38 pm
Maybe wrote:

Your arguments and stories are reminiscent of life as a kindergartner.

“My daddy can hold a refrigerator in one hand.”

“Well my daddy can hold an oven!!”

“Well my daddy can hold a refrigerator and an oven!!!”
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics