Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Why did hashem create us if he knew the results?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 9:03 am
I sure this isn't a new question. Yes, we have bechira. But who are we fooling? From the moment we enter the world, hashem knows exactly how the next 120 years will play out. All of our mitzos and sins are known to him. Why go thru this seemingly unnecessary process of "let's see how you do" so that hashem can reward us, when he knows all along exactly how we will do. This is especially a question with rishaim who are destined for gehenim. Why did hashem create them knowing they will sin and then punish them for there evil that he knew would happen?

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 9:18 am
There are kabbalistic answers to this, and I can't give them over very eloquently.

Basically, it's a tikkun for our neshamas, so that in each life we move to a higher level. Think of each life as a classroom. We learn our lessons so that we can graduate and learn more in the next class.

I told DD that each life was like a video game. We learn skills, but if we don't level-up, we'd be really bored. That seemed to make sense to her.

It's said that great tzaddakim choose to come down in the bodies of children who will have disabilities or short lives, both as a final tikkun for themselves, and to help the parents reach a great level as well. There is a story about a rabbi who would stand every time a disabled person entered a room, in honor of the tzaddik within them.

seeker

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 10:11 am
I've spent countless hours with many people over variations of the why question, and it's always circular or flawed. My conclusion is that just as G-d himself is impossible to comprehend, we will never know the answer to this one. My general approach to huge questions is that if I have reasonable enough answers to enough of them, then I can accept my inherent human smallness preventing me from answering the rest, without shaking up the foundations of my faith.

leah233

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 10:29 am
This questions boils down to "why is there bechira?"

Hashem knowing the outcome does not influence anyone's course of action. Just like someone knowing that it will gets hotter in the summer doesn't make them have any influence on the temperature .

So the question really is if Hashem know someone will use their bechira to do bad why create that person?

Which in is essence the same question as why is there bechira to begin with? Why is anyone given the opportunity to do bad if Hashem doesn't want it and can prevent it?

A comprehensive answer to that is beyond the scope of imamother.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 10:44 am
All the answers are already in the Torah:

Exodus 33:17 Moses said, “Now show me your glory.”

19 And the Lord said, “I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the Lord, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. 20 But,” he said, “you cannot see my face, for no one may seem me and live.”

21 Then the Lord said, “There is a place near me where you may stand on a rock. 22 When my glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft in the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed by. 23 Then I will remove my hand and you will see my back; but my face must not be seen.”

Ecclesiastes 8:17
I beheld all the work of God, that a man cannot find out the work that is done under the sun: because though a man labors to seek it out, yet he shall not find it; yea moreover; though a wise man thinks to know it, yet shall he not be able to find it.

bluebaker

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 12:12 pm
There are so many dimensions and so many answers, but one I can say with certainty is about purification of the soul. As we elevate the denser matter of this world through our mitzvot, the soul is purified and is elevated. This is the methodology.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 12:20 pm
leah233 wrote:

A comprehensive answer to that is beyond the scope of imamother.

That’s for sure-even though many mothers here (think they’re equipped to) tend to regularly pasken shailos!

dankbar

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 1:30 pm
Just like you give your child a choice if red or blue lollypop. She always picks the red. Even before she piks the red you know she will pick out the red one, but you are still giving her a choice. Well this time she might surprise you & pick the blue. Just because you know which one she favors, doesn't take away from her choice

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 1:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I sure this isn't a new question. Yes, we have bechira. But who are we fooling? From the moment we enter the world, hashem knows exactly how the next 120 years will play out. All of our mitzos and sins are known to him. Why go thru this seemingly unnecessary process of "let's see how you do" so that hashem can reward us, when he knows all along exactly how we will do. This is especially a question with rishaim who are destined for gehenim. Why did hashem create them knowing they will sin and then punish them for there evil that he knew would happen?

Why did Hashem create us at all seems to be your question.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics