Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
If I was the king of the world
Previous  1  2  3

1untamedgirl

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 4:42 pm
I would make sure that everyone is born healthy with perfect minds and bodies so no more illness or diseases. I would also ensure that people get along regardless of race, religion, gender, etc. But I am not sure how people would survive in a perfect world without any conflict, what would they do with their time and money if they cant fight one another and destroy each other or even help each other in time of need. Maybe the world is perfect it is just human beings that are imperfect and have to work to get along instead of fighting one another for every little thing.

WitchKitty

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 5:17 pm
ectomorph wrote:
I'm confused, but that's ok.

She meant me.
And I'm proud of being a witch, it's okay.

Laiya

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 5:21 pm
I would make English spelling funettic, also, semi-colons would be illegal.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 5:22 pm
I'm really horrified at the number of supposedly frum people who approve of eugenics. It's like Fox says about money, plenty of frum people get their hashkafos from the secular world.

sequoia

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 5:25 pm
Laiya wrote:
I would make English spelling funettic, also, semi-colons would be illegal.

Nooooo!

I love semicolons!

Zehava

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 6:16 pm
WitchKitty wrote:
She meant me.
And I'm proud of being a witch, it's okay.

Yep I was you once
Still am sometimes TBH
I would get onto controversial type threads just to post an opinion that will rile everyone up, and make them yell at me. Just like in school when I’d misbehave to get yelled at.
My inner child confused yelling with love

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 7:03 pm
ectomorph wrote:
I'm really horrified at the number of supposedly frum people who approve of eugenics. It's like Fox says about money, plenty of frum people get their hashkafos from the secular world.

I think you misunderstood the OP.

"What completely illiberal law with possibly terrible unintended consequences would you want to enact"

The point of the intellectual exercise is to come up with something that looks good on paper, but would be horrible in real life. Like communism or completely unregulated capitalism.

If you wanted to pass a law that intended to make sure that no child is ever born into poverty, or abused by unstable parents, then they would have to go through a vetting process. This might be able to prevent some cases of neglect or abuse, but at what cost?

yerushamama

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 10:28 pm
Require everyone with strong opinions to research the opposite side before saying anything about it - at least the arguments would be better informed!

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 6:34 am
yerushamama wrote:
Require everyone with strong opinions to research the opposite side before saying anything about it - at least the arguments would be better informed!

THIS. DD is a very idealistic teen, and I taught her to check her sources, look for opposite opinions, and try to find a neutral analysis (harder than you would think in these polarized times.)

She's a very black and white thinker, and things are either 100% good, or evil. By teaching her to do her research, she's become much deeper and more thoughtful.

Ravenclaw

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 8:35 am
Ok, so I have a huge issue with war. Yeah, I get it, we all do. But seriously, think about it--we can't decide who is right, so we each get a group of guys to start killing each other and whoever kills more guys first is right? It is so illogical.

I would decree that globally we work out foreign disputes through a war of the mind. War would be turned into some major strategical logic game show. It would be amazing. Kind of like trivia, but testing critical thinking skills instead of general knowledge. Whoever wins the game has proven they have superior intellect and therefore wins the war, since they must be right is they are so smart.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 11:24 am
Ravenclaw wrote:
Ok, so I have a huge issue with war. Yeah, I get it, we all do. But seriously, think about it--we can't decide who is right, so we each get a group of guys to start killing each other and whoever kills more guys first is right? It is so illogical.

I would decree that globally we work out foreign disputes through a war of the mind. War would be turned into some major strategical logic game show. It would be amazing. Kind of like trivia, but testing critical thinking skills instead of general knowledge. Whoever wins the game has proven they have superior intellect and therefore wins the war, since they must be right is they are so smart.

You would be replaced as monarch by someone smarter.

DrMom

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 11:44 am
Zehava wrote:

WitchKitty wrote:
Quote:
In Words of Radiance, by Brandon Sanderson:

"He’d drafted a law requiring that all people of less than average intellect be required to commit suicide for the good of the city. It had seemed reasonable. He had considered they might resist, but thought that the brilliance of the argument would sway them."

I had always wished there would be such a law.

No kidding
Guys we have our literal hitler

It was pretty obvious WitchKitty was being satirical.

Plus, the process is problematic because once all the below-average people have committed suicide, we'd need to recalculate the average using the surviving population, and then ~1/2 of them would need to commit suicide, etc. etc. until there was only 1 person left.

shanie5

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 7:56 pm
Only problem with that law is that MOST people think they are of above average intelligence. And as those of lesser intelligence would have to commit suicide (as opposed to being shot by a firing squad) very few would think they would qualify to have to kill themselves. Me included. And probably every poster on this thread too!

Ravenclaw

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 8:37 pm
DrMom wrote:
It was pretty obvious WitchKitty was being satirical.

Plus, the process is problematic because once all the below-average people have committed suicide, we'd need to recalculate the average using the surviving population, and then ~1/2 of them would need to commit suicide, etc. etc. until there was only 1 person left.

You win.
All hail the new king.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics