Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Fever after shots

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 7:45 pm
My 22 month old got the mmrv and previnar (don't know the spelling) last week Wednesday. My Dr said to expect fever a week later which means this week Wednesday. He came down with fever today. 101.2. Should I be concerned it's something unrelated to the shots or its probably coming from the shots?

smss

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 7:47 pm
Very likely the shots. If it lasts more than 24 hours maybe take him to the doctor just to be sure. In the meantime you can give Tylenol if he's kvetchy. No need if he's not.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 7:48 pm
smss wrote:
Very likely the shots. If it lasts more than 24 hours maybe take him to the doctor just to be sure. In the meantime you can give Tylenol if he's kvetchy. No need if he's not.

I gave him tylenol. He's very ketchy. Didnt eat normally either today.
Eta: that's why I'm asking on here. The fact that he's not eating is bothering me but maybe it's normal.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 7:51 pm
My 3 and a half year old got the MMR shot recently (was told to it was recommended to give early due to outbreak) and came down with a fever a few hours after the injection.

It lasted for two days.
I gave Motrin which worked wonders BH.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 8:00 pm
I don't think it's anything to get worried about. This is the way vaccines are supposed to work. Kids get a little sick now instead of ch"v becoming very sick later.

I hope he feels better soon!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 8:11 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
My 3 and a half year old got the MMR shot recently (was told to it was recommended to give early due to outbreak) and came down with a fever a few hours after the injection.

It lasted for two days.
I gave Motrin which worked wonders BH.

I know that. I was told within 24 hrs or a week later. It's non so I became concerned.
I also gave early. The official guidelines is at 2 and 4. I gave now 2 months earlier for both 22 months and 3.10.
Tnx everybody for your replies. I'll see how the next 24 hrs go. Hopefully it'll pass quickly.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 8:28 pm
It's normal to get a fever from shots till up to 10 days later. Keep alternating between tylenol and motrin.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 8:34 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
It's normal to get a fever from shots till up to 10 days later. Keep alternating between tylenol and motrin.

From and till upto 10 days? Didnt know that. Tnx for replying. I'm feeling calmer now. tnx.

pizza4

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 8:40 pm
Yes normal. Just keep monitoring to make sure the fever doesn't get higher. I wouldn't advise to give so much tylenol and motrin, only as necessary. Mainly keep the child hydrated, it's normal to have decreased appetite with fever.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 8:48 pm
pizza4 wrote:
Yes normal. Just keep monitoring to make sure the fever doesn't get higher. I wouldn't advise to give so much tylenol and motrin, only as necessary. Mainly keep the child hydrated, it's normal to have decreased appetite with fever.

I have a fear of fever. My niece had a seizure from 101. Besides the fact, he's so kvetchy, why not make him feel better? I used to think the same way but then I started feeling like I'm torturing the kid; if I can do something to make him feel less miserable why shouldn't I? My soft mothery heart doesn't let me not to give tylenol. Poor kid.

smss

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 8:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know that. I was told within 24 hrs or a week later. It's non so I became concerned.
I also gave early. The official guidelines is at 2 and 4. I gave now 2 months earlier for both 22 months and 3.10.
Tnx everybody for your replies. I'll see how the next 24 hrs go. Hopefully it'll pass quickly.

Nah it's not exact. Also don't know where you live but in both the US and Israel it's given at 12 months and 4 years. If this is his first dose you're not early. My DD had fever and a rash around a week after she got the MMR. She was totally fine bH.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 8:54 pm
smss wrote:
Nah it's not exact. Also don't know where you live but in both the US and Israel it's given at 12 months and 4 years. If this is his first dose you're not early. My DD had fever and a rash around a week after she got the MMR. She was totally fine bH.

I'm in the US/brooklyn. My Dr told me they changed their guidlines since the measels outbreak. New guidlines is: 6 months, 1yr, and 2yrs. The three year olds are getting it now instead of waiting till 4. Theyre aiming for mandatory 1 year and 2yrs instead of 2yrs and 4yrs. From what I understood the 6 months is optional so far.
If really interested I use Dr diamonds office. If anybody want to verify my credibility. Lol.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics