Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Organizing on a budget

smss

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 9:04 pm
Looking for inexpensive options for:
-drawer inserts for junk drawer
-bins for pantry/linen closet
-mesh bins for produce

Any ideas?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 9:05 pm
smss wrote:
Looking for inexpensive options for:
-drawer inserts for junk drawer
-bins for pantry/linen closet
-mesh bins for produce

Any ideas?

Start your search at the Dollar Tree.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 9:32 pm
-dollar tree
-dollar tree
-dollar tree

SingALong

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 9:50 pm
Do you live near any amazing savings? I got great draw inserts from there for $1-2 each.

lucky14

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 9:54 pm
Honestly how much of a budget are you on? I find the stuff at the dollar store is very junky. I'd rather spend a little more and get something that lasts vs. having to replace after things start breaking. I'm also more motivated to keep things organized and tidy when the containers aren't cracking and falling apart.

meme6

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 9:55 pm
Amazing savings has great option and to max I used kitchen drawer organizers for junk drawer and bins for other stuff I also found cheap plastic bins in target

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 10:07 pm
I've found good organizers at Wal-Mart that were probably 1/4 of the price that Amazon has them listed at.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 10:10 pm
Any ideas for an organizer for my underwear / socks drawer?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 10:12 pm
I'd specifically recommend the white wash basin type things from dollar tree. I found them to be perfect for organizing my daughters dresser drawers, and separating underwear, socks, tights, etc...

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 10:14 pm
I found inexpensive plastic bins that fit into my drawers. One for panties, one for bras, etc. Probably from Target or Walmart. If you wait till July or August, they will have lots of those kinds of stuff because of back to school college students shopping for dorm rooms.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 10:28 pm
Any way I can order from Dollar tree online? Or I have to go into the store? I only see an option for ordering by the case

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 10:34 pm
Save your money. Start collecting boxes and containers of all kinds: shoe boxes, cereal cartons, pill containers, egg cartons, diaper cartons, margarine tubs, old Tupperware, you name it. Trim to fit. My kids have been toilet trained for 27 years and I still have their diaper cartons dividing my dresser drawers.

Don’t buy organizing stuff till you figure out where you want to store things. Once you plan out your storage and see what you have on hand that you can use, then, and ONLY then, if there are gaps you know you won’t be able to fill with readily-repurposed containers, buy items to fill the gaps. If looks are important to you, cover the visible parts of containers with Con-tact (TM), foil or gift wrap.

Your storage needs change as your family situation changes. It’s much easier on the wallet (and the conscience) to discard an old shoe box than to get rid of something you spent cold cash for.

chocolatecake

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 10:34 pm
I use shoeboxes for organizing my kids socks and underwear and hair accessories.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 10:39 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Save your money. Start collecting boxes and containers of all kinds: shoe boxes, cereal cartons, pill containers, egg cartons, diaper cartons, margarine tubs, old Tupperware, you name it. Trim to fit. My kids have been toilet trained for 27 years and I still have their diaper cartons dividing my dresser drawers.

Don’t buy organizing stuff till you figure out where you want to store things. Once you plan out your storage and see what you have on hand that you can use, then, and ONLY then, if there are gaps you know you won’t be able to fill with readily-repurposed containers, buy items to fill the gaps. If looks are important to you, cover the visible parts of containers with Con-tact (TM), foil or gift wrap.

Your storage needs change as your family situation changes. It’s much easier on the wallet (and the conscience) to discard an old shoe box than to get rid of something you spent cold cash for.

Lifesaver idea!!!! Thanks!!!

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 10:45 pm
Are you doing the Kon-mari method? Her website has lots of ideas.

Ikea has some great stuff in all shapes and sizes, at good prices.

smss

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 12:37 am
ra_mom wrote:
Start your search at the Dollar Tree.

Just checked there today, they had drawer inserts but with holes so I feel like the pencils/pens will slide through and also there was nowhere a label would stick which I feel like is key to maintenance...

I did see the wash basins there and think those might work for the pantry.

trixx

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 12:43 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
Any ideas for an organizer for my underwear / socks drawer?

Ikea drawer inserts, skubb I think
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics