Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Rejected from teaching position

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 10:55 pm
I worked as an assistant for a school and did a model lesson to be a teacher. Unfortunately, the principal did not feel like I was confident enough and rejected me for this year. I’m feeling very down and disappointed. Should I look for teaching jobs in other schools or stay in my school in hopes that In the future I’ll get a position?

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 10:57 pm
Do you agree with the principal? Do you think you need more time as an assistant? If not - move on and apply elsewhere.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 11:03 pm
I think it would help me be a better teacher in the future but there’s no way knowing if I would get a position in the school I’m currently in

unexpected

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 11:08 pm
If you are a very good assistant, the principal might feel that it is more of a priority to keep you as an assistant. If I were you, I would do a model lesson somewhere else just to hear an objective opinion.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 11:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I think it would help me be a better teacher in the future but there’s no way knowing if I would get a position in the school I’m currently in

If you think being an assistant for another year will be value to you - and your finances allow for it - I'd recommend doing it again for a year. You may not be hired back - but you can apply elsewhere.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 11:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I worked as an assistant for a school and did a model lesson to be a teacher. Unfortunately, the principal did not feel like I was confident enough and rejected me for this year. I’m feeling very down and disappointed. Should I look for teaching jobs in other schools or stay in my school in hopes that In the future I’ll get a position?

I feel your pain. For years, I stayed in a school in a low position hoping for the day to be a teacher. I gave a model lesson every year, did long-term substituting etc. Eventually, the principal told me straight out that I'm too quiet and she is looking for more confident personalities and my nature works better in a more assistive role. I was devastated as I'd been at this school for years. I applied to other schools, got a job in a newer school that hired anyone. Taught for a couple years, had a very difficult time controlling class. Left teaching and I'm in an entirely different field which suits me much better and which I truly love.
I thought I wanted to be a teacher and killed myself for years to achieve this elusive goal. That was all I wanted. I thought I would be the best teacher if only I was given the chance. The truth is it isn't my personality - it is emotionally challenging and draining to control kids, plan lessons, etc.

My advice is apply everywhere and try to get teaching experience. Don't be an assistant for years. They hire plenty of teachers with no experience. They either hire you right away or never at all. Don't waste your time. If you are sure that the only thing you want as a career is to teach, see what you can do achieve that goal.

Queen18

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 11:49 pm
I wouldn’t stay in the current school. If your goal is to be a teacher then apply everywhere until someone hires you. You would be well off to take a position in a smaller or kiruv type school (or even a school with a rep of being unable to make payroll). At least you’ll know if you are in the right profession. Additionally if you are good, you will be able to parlay that position to a teaching position in the school of your choice much faster than you would be able if you stay an assistant.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 11:54 pm
I would just love to stay in the school I’m in... it has a really good rep better than the other schools around

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 11:55 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
I feel your pain. For years, I stayed in a school in a low position hoping for the day to be a teacher. I gave a model lesson every year, did long-term substituting etc. Eventually, the principal told me straight out that I'm too quiet and she is looking for more confident personalities and my nature works better in a more assistive role. I was devastated as I'd been at this school for years. I applied to other schools, got a job in a newer school that hired anyone. Taught for a couple years, had a very difficult time controlling class. Left teaching and I'm in an entirely different field which suits me much better and which I truly love.
I thought I wanted to be a teacher and killed myself for years to achieve this elusive goal. That was all I wanted. I thought I would be the best teacher if only I was given the chance. The truth is it isn't my personality - it is emotionally challenging and draining to control kids, plan lessons, etc.

My advice is apply everywhere and try to get teaching experience. Don't be an assistant for years. They hire plenty of teachers with no experience. They either hire you right away or never at all. Don't waste your time. If you are sure that the only thing you want as a career is to teach, see what you can do achieve that goal.

That’s really upsetting. If only your principal would have told you earlier

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 12:11 am
Agree, that was unkind and unprofessional of the principal. Anyway, I find different schools value different qualities in a teacher. At my school, the current principal likes the loud, showy, and cutesy teachers. The previous principal liked the low key, good at classroom management, structured type of teacher. It's an individual preference and not a guarantee of stellar teaching skills, either way.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 12:13 am
I'm a quiet personality on the outside and I think people who knew me thought I wouldn't make a good teacher. They were wrong I've been a very successful teacher for ten years. It's not so much being outgoing that helps but you need to have confidence that you are good and in charge. Give it a try somewhere else, but also watch good teachers and range note of what makes them good. It's often very subtle.

ssspectacular

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 5:47 am
There is an excellent book (comes with DVD) Teach Like a Champion. It really helped me become a stronger teacher.

imasinger

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 6:02 am
Being an assistant at a school with a great reputation is a fine choice, if you view it as job training. If by watching experts, your own skills are improving, great.

But if you think that working at the best school in town as an assistant will get you farther than working at another school as a lead teacher, you may be mistaken. One way to find out is to see how many people were in your situation and then were offered a teaching position after 2 or 3 years at that school.

And if you don't love teaching, it might be wise to try something else.

Whatever you do, choose with purpose and clarity, with your personal goals in mind. Taking risks is part of life.

It should be with hatzlacha.

watergirl

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 6:39 am
Queen18 wrote:
I wouldn’t stay in the current school. If your goal is to be a teacher then apply everywhere until someone hires you. You would be well off to take a position in a smaller or kiruv type school (or even a school with a rep of being unable to make payroll). At least you’ll know if you are in the right profession. Additionally if you are good, you will be able to parlay that position to a teaching position in the school of your choice much faster than you would be able if you stay an assistant.

Re: the bold - why a kiruv school? They need the BEST and strongest teachers, not the opposite. Not the ones who are hoping to get hired without real training.

OP, I’m surprised no one suggested this yet - keep your assistant job and take classes at night towards a teaching degree. There are many online colleges, and when its time for observations and student teaching, you will see how different your skills are, once you have the methodology and solid footing. And then you can take your shiny new degree and get a job in a whole different strata.

Signed, been there, done that! I spent more than 10 years as an assistant and THEN did night school for my degree!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 7:41 am
In my experience, it can be hard to get hired from within, particularly if the administration already has a certain impression of you (that may very well be wrong--how much time do they spend observing you anyway, and how many chances have you had to show what you're capable of?) I know that people often think that being a leave replacement or a para in my school gives them an "in" for a full time position, but the truth is that that my administration often them as a good leave replacement (which are hard to come by) and hires from outside anyway. It's not fair, but it's definitely how it works in some places.

I would definitely apply to other places, but not to get a second opinion--please don't let others' opinions of you determine your worth! Better reasons: it will give you more experience interviewing, you may get hired for a job that's not your first choice school, but that will help you get experience, and you will get to see what else is out there. As others have said, it may also be helpful to earn some teaching credentials as well, but as someone with an advanced education degree, there is no substitute for real experience.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 8:16 am
Hashem saved you from working in the wrong school. The principal was just the shaliach.

Take this as a learning opportunity. Ask the principal what he was looking for. He knows his kids. Maybe they are an extra rowdy bunch who need a firm hand. Maybe there is a lot of ADD in that class, and the kids need someone dynamic who can hold their attention. It may have nothing to do with you at all, and just a bad fit with his students.

If you feel confident, by all means keep searching for other positions. Otherwise, give yourself another year as an assistant and keep honing your skills.

IYH you should find yourself exactly where you are supposed to be, and you and your class will thrive.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 10:18 am
I wouldn't say no to another year of being an assistant yet. It's going to be hard to find a teaching job at this time of year. Most schools like to be set for the coming year's teachers before the end of the current school year. I would hold on to this assistant job for another year and really work on getting the most out of the experience. When it comes time to start interviewing for teaching jobs, you can try again at the current school, but make sure to also line up interviews/model lessons at other schools so you don't have all your eggs in one basket.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 10:58 am
I think the timing is very telling. I think its difficult to find teaching positions at this point in mid-June. I don't think the principal really acted with your best interests in mind. If you don't make the cut there, you weren't really afforded a lot of time to look elsewhere. I think in any job there can't be a blatant lookout for only one person's benefit. It has to be a two-way street, and I feel like they won't really give you more opportunities later. Its like they said, they see you in one way only and that suits them. It will be hard, but if you are really committed to teaching, find a better springboard for success. I don't think this place will be it.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 11:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Isnt this an easy answer?

In the school youre in, have other asst teachers gotten rejected once after their first model lesson, and then the next time they tried, got accepted (then you also have a chance of getting a teaching job), or once an asst teacher is rejected, they dont accept after another try?

oneofakind

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 4:00 pm
I wouldn't stay in this school unless you would start taking classes towards a degree. You might become a wonderful SEIT teacher who works well with individuals and small groups.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics