Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Traveling to toronto

mra01385

Post Sun, Jun 16 2019, 11:55 pm
Looking for ideas on how to keep my boys ages 9 and 7 occupied and entertained during the long ride to Toronto. First time driving so far with them. Currently dont have DVD player or tablet.

jkw

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 12:09 am
I brought a ball along and and every stop they ran around with it. Also gave them maps so they could follow the route.
Little games/ puzzles bag that they can pick one of with eyes closed. Do this every hour.
Books on tape! Look out in advance for state parks along the way. If you are going up the Thruway to 81 through Syracuse to cross at Thousand Islands there is Wellesley Island State Park.
PLEASE make sure to check the latest information on documents needed for children to cross the border.
DO NOT bring ANY citrus fruit.
Enjoy!

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 12:33 am
My 8 and 9 year olds really enjoy the Boxcar Children series on CD and Roald Dahl’s books too.

Also, Mad Libs.

Frumwithallergies

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 12:39 am
I recently succumbed to letting dc watch dvds on an old laptop; I even bought a car-charger power bar to charge the laptop for very long rides..... just an idea. But for us, colouring pencils and books weren't enough. Kids are under 12 years old.

sky

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 1:23 am
We do the drive at least once a year.

Magnetic board games - can get them really cheap
Car games - can print online. Like license bingo. Or highway signs.
Games like sing songs in ABC order or continue to tell the story
We have a snack schedule. Like every hour is a snack alternating between healthy and unhealthy. I bring a ton of food along.
New cd for the drive.
I give everyone own box of gum and small water bottle.
Bring Dramamine if you think may need.
Pkg of wipes and paper towels.
Even though we have zero extra space in the car we pack a blanket for each child. I find it helps them relax. (I no longer allow pillows because we have no space. But they like pillows a lot too).
If you have AAA you can get books and maps for the way. If not you can print out info on your own like interesting facts of city driving through.

Really whenever we go we take super quick bathroom and davening breaks and speed along and while it seems never ending it somehow does end.

There are some fantastic parks to visit on the way and more scenic routes. (Who doesn’t love driving through Warsaw ny). But it depends on how much time you have.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics