Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
How many of you watched this?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

how many of you watched this?
I don't have access  
 15%  [ 8 ]
I am not interested/don't have time/ didn't watch  
 69%  [ 36 ]
I watched it and found it interesting  
 9%  [ 5 ]
I watched it and found it uninteresting  
 5%  [ 3 ]
I watched some of it and found it uninteresting  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 52

yksraya

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 2:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
my husband always says that America is Russia but with more paperwork

America is a malchus shel chessed. How dare you even compare!

(I have russian roots, my grandma told us stories and names of relatives killed by kgb)

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 2:05 pm
gamanit wrote:
Unless you are forming your own new religion you would need to show that you are part of a faction that considers this part of their belief system. If a chassidish guy is asked to be at work at the earlier zman he would get his rabbi to write him a letter verifying that he cannot work prior to the later zman. Is it so unfair to ask you to get a letter from your rabbi that your faction does not allow for vaccinations? I personally think that private schools should be allowed to accept religious exceptions but absolutely should not be forced to, and I would agree that they should have to include testimony from clergy member. Public schools are under the control of the state.

But this was not the law up until now in NYS.

gamanit

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 2:07 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
But this was not the law up until now in NYS.

I know that it was not written in the law but that's the spirit of the law. I'm just explaining why everyone is saying that religious exemptions were misused in this case. It is not accurate that this anti-vax belief stems from religion as far as our community is concerned.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 5:40 pm
gamanit wrote:
I know that it was not written in the law but that's the spirit of the law. I'm just explaining why everyone is saying that religious exemptions were misused in this case. It is not accurate that this anti-vax belief stems from religion as far as our community is concerned.

so you say,
in 2011 Ami had an article interviewing a woman in Monsey who fought this specifically in court AND WON

gamanit

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 11:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
so you say,
in 2011 Ami had an article interviewing a woman in Monsey who fought this specifically in court AND WON

Bully for her. It's probably her credit that they now banned religious exemptions altogether.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 11:35 pm
gamanit wrote:
Bully for her. It's probably her credit that they now banned religious exemptions altogether.

just clarifying that the article was in 2011 and the court ruling was more than thirty years ago and everything was just fine and dandy since then until now

gamanit

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 11:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
just clarifying that the article was in 2011 and the court ruling was more than thirty years ago and everything was just fine and dandy since then until now

Until the outbreak. Since the courts had already set a precedent by this woman that they will not define what constitutes a religious exemption, the legislation had no choice but to ban them altogether.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 1:08 am
southernbubby wrote:
Many people opt to wait for the Hepatitis B vaccine and unless the mother is infected, there is no harm in waiting.

There's no harm in waiting till when? Till a kid uses drugs, multiple partners???
Why do babies need it at 2 month.

Hepatitis b vaccine is not offered in hospitals it's given, unless a parent is more informed and refuses it.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 7:23 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
There's no harm in waiting till when? Till a kid uses drugs, multiple partners???
Why do babies need it at 2 month.

Hepatitis b vaccine is not offered in hospitals it's given, unless a parent is more informed and refuses it.

Many people that I know put it off with their doctor's acceptance of the decision and did it later in infancy or childhood. I think that most frum mothers delay it because hepatitis b is not an immediate threat to the baby. I do agree that it should be given during childhood because we don't know what the future holds.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 10:04 am
southernbubby wrote:
Many people that I know put it off with their doctor's acceptance of the decision and did it later in infancy or childhood. I think that most frum mothers delay it because hepatitis b is not an immediate threat to the baby. I do agree that it should be given during childhood because we don't know what the future holds.

I don't get this. Do you believe the CDC's explanation? Or not? If you decide to choose from its recommendations, why don't I get the same opportunity?

imasoftov

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 10:39 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
wait until the law is that if you want to do a Bris you must do it in the hospital under doctor's supervision
you can still do a bris
that is called coercion and it's against our constitution

I'd be interested to hear arguments for or against that.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 10:56 am
gamanit wrote:
Unless you are forming your own new religion you would need to show that you are part of a faction that considers this part of their belief system. If a chassidish guy is asked to be at work at the earlier zman he would get his rabbi to write him a letter verifying that he cannot work prior to the later zman. Is it so unfair to ask you to get a letter from your rabbi that your faction does not allow for vaccinations? I personally think that private schools should be allowed to accept religious exceptions but absolutely should not be forced to, and I would agree that they should have to include testimony from clergy member. Public schools are under the control of the state.

That perhaps only moves the question to "what is a recognized faction?". Or maybe "who is a member of clergy?" And what if someone doesn't want to show up to work after a long melaveh malka that is prepared from scratch after the kosher stores open and can find a rabbi to write a letter? Or in communities where many of not most men have semicha? Might a "letter from a rabbi" standard result in "every citizen to become a law unto himself"? That quote is from Reynolds v. United States, 98 U.S. 145 (1878) although not being a constitutional lawyer (or any other sort) I don't know if there have been any subsequent rulings about that.

I don't have an answer to the question myself.

Reynolds was about a polygamous Mormon. I wonder, in cases of a Heter Meah Rabbonim without a secular divorce, could there be similar issues? And why go that far, what about a Get without a secular divorce?

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Dec 26 2021, 4:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFTsd042M3o
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics