Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Swing set policy for neighbors
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 10:30 am
If you have a swing set in your yard, what's your policy with regard to letting neighbors use it (obviously not when they're playing with your kids- in talking when they aren't your kids friends/your kids aren't outside but they would like to use it)?
I'm worried about liability as well as wear and tear to the set.
Do you have any rules/boundaries?

pesek zman

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 10:35 am
I wouldn’t let anyone else use the swing set outside of the time that my kids are on it

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 10:38 am
1 of my neighbors always let everyone use their swing set, this summer she doesn't allow anyone to use it anymore. Another neighbor doesn't let without permission, you have to ask first.
Afew of us neighbors put in a swingset together, we keep having random people that pass our house knock on my door and ask if their kids can play there. I find it so weird.

watergirl

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 10:39 am
Policy? What?

If they are at your house for a playdate, and everyone wants to play, they can play. Why else would they use it? No need to let people come over and use it any other time.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 10:43 am
I don't have a swingset and several of my neighbors do. I would never dream of asking them if we can use it. There's a local park we can visit for that.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 10:44 am
I know someone that for years had an open yard policy until one person ruined it. A kid fell and broke their hand and the neighbor sued saying I’m not suing you only your insurance anyway. That caused the insurance to go up. Since then the policy has changed.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 10:44 am
Thanks everyone!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 10:46 am
watergirl wrote:
Policy? What?

If they are at your house for a playdate, and everyone wants to play, they can play. Why else would they use it? No need to let people come over and use it any other time.

I'm sure my neighbors' kids will ask to use it and I want to know in advance what my policy will be (I don't want them to think it's hefker )

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 10:52 am
No one asks where I live. It is one gigantic free for all. They just go into the yards and play. More than several times, I have seen the homeowner's kids excluded. I have seen neighborhood kids bullying the homeowner's kids. Toys get used and left anywhere. We get kids from other blocks coming her to play like it's a public playground.

I never got a trampoline because of the boundary issues in this neighborhood. I had a big waterside which was enough of a magnet for that I took it down and said never again.

aricelli

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 10:54 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
No one asks where I live. It is one gigantic free for all. They just go into the yards and play. More than several times, I have seen the homeowner's kids excluded. I have seen neighborhood kids bullying the homeowner's kids. Toys get used and left anywhere. We get kids from other blocks coming her to play like it's a public playground.

I never got a trampoline because of the boundary issues in this neighborhood. I had a big waterside which was enough of a magnet for that I took it down and said never again.

Sounds just like my neighborhood!

watergirl

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 10:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm sure my neighbors' kids will ask to use it and I want to know in advance what my policy will be (I don't want them to think it's hefker )

I've seen this come up on imamother before but never encountered it in real life.

Sounds like you are not comfortable with people using it when you are not there, and you have the right to feel that way! You could be sued if someone gets hurt on your property. Yes, you risk that even when your kids have friends over on an invited play date and you are watching them, but why open yourself up to more?

You can and should be free to say, I'm sorry, we dont allow people to play on our set. The end.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 10:59 am

Good fences make good neighbors

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 11:02 am
I let ppl use mine. Most ppl have their own anyways so it's not like it's a ton of ppl. My trampoline net was ripped by a neighbor when we were away. I just replaced it and I am a bit stricter than I used to be but basically let ppl use it.

Simple1

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 11:12 am

I want to get a trampoline so badly too, but can't get one for this reason.

I always couldn't say no to outdoor equipment because I didn't want to be considered mean or unwelcoming.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 11:20 am
The only reason I wouldn't allow is because if someone would get hurt you can never know if the parent's would hold you responsible.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 11:24 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
The only reason I wouldn't allow is because if someone would get hurt you can never know if the parent's would hold you responsible.

I can think of lots of other reasons, from damage to the yard to not wanting to hear kids in your yard when your kids aren't out there.

Gate off the area and tell anyone who asks, "we'd love to have your Shlomo over for a playdate with our Plomi Almoni, and they can enjoy the swing set then. But we can't have kids in the yard unless invited." Lather, rinse, repeat.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 11:27 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Good fences make good neighbors

They go over fences - seriously. I watch my neighbor's trampoline. The kids go up and over. They help each other up. There's a shul nearby, so you have those kids also.

krembo

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 11:31 am
I'm fine with any kids using ours as long as they follow our rules about taking fair turns and playing safely. B"H we have a warm friendly neighborhood and everyone's in and out of each other's yards but not in an intrusive way. I like looking out my window and seeing kids enjoying. Smile

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 11:32 am
Insurance companies call these "attractive hazards". Like pools, ponds, and trampolines, these need to be behind tall, locked gates.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 12:07 pm
Similar question here...

There’s one neighbor who always comes while my kids are on our swingset. Or knocks and asks my kids to come play on the swingset.

I know he needs the company but honestly, when my kids have friends, they need extra supervision which I usually can’t provide. Thinking of telling the kid that he can only come if his mother comes along to supervise. I feel weird though because he’s past the age of being accompanied by his mom every time. And I feel like his mom will be hurt or offended; we’re friends.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette