Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Swing set policy for neighbors
Previous  1  2

sarahmalka

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 1:03 pm
I was just thinking about this for us. We let anyone use it on our street, but it is a very small street.I recently started wondering about liability though... technically my wonderful neighbors own the equipment but it's half on our property and we both maintain it. I wonder who is liable, both of us?
I'd say the only thing that bothers me is when people leave trash. It's not much but it's still disrespectful.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 1:03 pm
krembo wrote:
I'm fine with any kids using ours as long as they follow our rules about taking fair turns and playing safely. B"H we have a warm friendly neighborhood and everyone's in and out of each other's yards but not in an intrusive way. I like looking out my window and seeing kids enjoying. Smile

Sounds lovely when you put it that way.
Thing is there are literally 100 young children within my block. It wouldn't be peaceful kids playing; it would probably be a zoo, with garbage from their snacks, if I don't set boundaries.

I think I'll let my next door neighbors if their moms are watching , and for everyone else I will have to say no for liability reasons.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 1:12 pm
sarahmalka wrote:
I was just thinking about this for us. We let anyone use it on our street, but it is a very small street.I recently started wondering about liability though... technically my wonderful neighbors own the equipment but it's half on our property and we both maintain it. I wonder who is liable, both of us?
I'd say the only thing that bothers me is when people leave trash. It's not much but it's still disrespectful.

Call your insurance agent.

As an educated guess, your property, your liability. But again, check with your homeowners agent.

rzab

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 1:12 pm
I think it's a really good idea to have a specific policy and stick with it. Someone on my block has a basketball net and she always makes it a point to tell everyone that they should feel free to come and use it anytime but then when kids come and use it without permission she flips out on them. Honestly, it's confusing for the kids and it's just not nice. Either have an open invitation or don't! My kid doesn't need to play there, he just did bc she said to "feel free to come and use it anytime"

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 1:57 pm
I let neighborhood kids use it all the time. They never asked and it never crossed my mind to not let them! I'm happy to share!
I would hope nobody would sue me if they got hurt!
What drives me nuts is picking up the neighbors kid's garbage!! I have enough cleaning up after my own children I can't and don't want to clean up after everyone else's!! And the wrappers on the grass really really bother me!!! Banging head

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 2:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If you have a swing set in your yard, what's your policy with regard to letting neighbors use it (obviously not when they're playing with your kids- in talking when they aren't your kids friends/your kids aren't outside but they would like to use it)?
I'm worried about liability as well as wear and tear to the set.
Do you have any rules/boundaries?

Put a lock on your fence (if u don’t have a fence make one) and make sure they have to ask each time. When u want to say no say no.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 2:35 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
I let neighborhood kids use it all the time. They never asked and it never crossed my mind to not let them! I'm happy to share!
I would hope nobody would sue me if they got hurt!
What drives me nuts is picking up the neighbors kid's garbage!! I have enough cleaning up after my own children I can't and don't want to clean up after everyone else's!! And the wrappers on the grass really really bother me!!! Banging head

Tell them they can't use it if they leave trash.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 3:29 pm
I only allow when a parent is present. That cuts down on 90% of it. Also, have it gated so you can lock the gate sometimes

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 3:45 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Put a lock on your fence (if u don’t have a fence make one) and make sure they have to ask each time. When u want to say no say no.

My SIL did this and then all the neighborhood yentas spoke badly about her that she is so selfish and doesn't allow everyone's kids into her yard. So, warning....by taking care of yourself, your property and preventing a law suit, you may lose the "lovely" neighbors you thought you had. I watched how an entire block ganged up on her because she had the "audacity" to put up a six foot fence on her private property .
I lived between people like this as well, it's no fun .

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 4:11 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
I let ppl use mine. Most ppl have their own anyways so it's not like it's a ton of ppl. My trampoline net was ripped by a neighbor when we were away. I just replaced it and I am a bit stricter than I used to be but basically let ppl use it.

Don't mean to scare you, but lock up your trampoline for non-family.
Doctors are mad about trampolines. It is considered a no-no by the American Pediatrics Association. Some insurance companies drop you if you have a trampoline. It has caused
broken hips, bones and whatnot.
People laugh it off till it hits home.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette