Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Speech Therapy burn out
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 2:12 pm
Hi everyone,
Figured I'd ask some advice.
I pursued speech therapy as a career because of the $ benefits and the flexibility to raise a family. At least thats what my bais yaakov academic advisors kept telling me.
I enjoyed my undergraduate studies but when it came to masters, I did not enjoy it. Dyspaghia classes made me a little queasy as did watching FEES/MBS and dealing with geriatrics. I hope I am not offending anyone.

I thought it would get better when I started externship as I would be able to work with older patients/cognitive disorders but I just found it all boring and not motivated. When I first came back from seminary I taught navi for middle school and loved it. But after awhile I also found that a bit repetitive. Im already burned out from the job, and I havent even been doing it for long!!!! I dont enjoy the meetings, the endless parperwork (they dont tell you that before!!!!) and the repetitiveness.

Do any SLPs here work in a hospital setting? I was working in a headstart but maybe if I branch out I'll enjoy it more.

I do miss teaching and I found it so inspiring, but my husband is also learning still BH and without parental support we are relying on my paycheck alone. Do I just "suck it up" and stay with speech and I know this makes a good salary?

Anon as I wish to remain undetected....
Just looking for some chizuk I guess.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 2:30 pm
No advice, OP, just sympathy. I've also been suffering from terrible burnout.

It's especially hard when your DH is learning and you have no way of exploring other career options since you're the sole breadwinner...

Last edited by amother on Fri, Jul 05 2019, 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

pesek zman

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 2:34 pm
Doesn’t sound like you’re burned out. It sounds like you never liked it much, even in school. If the pay and benefits are good you may have to suck it up until your husbands earning power allows you to pursue other options

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 2:35 pm
Me too me too me too! My dream was to become either a makeup artist or an ASL interpreter. I took courses for both just out of curiosity. My mother (BPD, extremely manipulative) basically forced me to go for speech right out of sem.
I hate it. It's soooo not for me. I got burnt out halfway through my CFY.
Honestly dont know what to tell you! I just grin and bear it, and I look forward to retirement!

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 8:38 pm
Another burnt out speech therapist here Sad

I became a speech therapist because it was the "in" thing to do. I enjoyed school because I'm the studious type, but I really don't enjoy the clinical work anymore. I am more introverted and it's really hard for me to be working with children a whole day. I would love to do office work, but I can't afford a career change right now.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 8:42 pm
Wave

I don’t particularly like the job, either. But the worst part is, I’ve never had success making much money with it. If it were at least lucrative I would tell myself to suck it up and live with it. But I’ve never found a job that pays decently.

Sigh...

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 9:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi everyone,
I pursued speech therapy as a career because of the $ benefits and the flexibility to raise a family. At least thats what my bais yaakov academic advisors kept telling me.
I enjoyed my undergraduate studies but when it came to masters, I did not enjoy it. Dyspaghia classes made me a little queasy as did watching FEES/MBS and dealing with geriatrics. I hope I am not offending anyone.

I thought it would get better when I started externship as I would be able to work with older patients/cognitive disorders but I just found it all boring and not motivated. When I first came back from seminary I taught navi for middle school and loved it. But after awhile I also found that a bit repetitive. Im already burned out from the job, and I havent even been doing it for long!!!! I dont enjoy the meetings, the endless parperwork (they dont tell you that before!!!!) and the repetitiveness.

Do any SLPs here work in a hospital setting? I was working in a headstart but maybe if I branch out I'll enjoy it more.

I do miss teaching and I found it so inspiring, but my husband is also learning still BH and without parental support we are relying on my paycheck alone. Do I just "suck it up" and stay with speech and I know this makes a good salary?

You are working in an educational setting, correct? From your post it seems like medical speech pathology isn’t for you.
Maybe you’d enjoy your job more if you worked with different age kids? I switched from preschool to school age (K-8) this year and it’s a nice change!
You can work in a clinic and specialize in a niche area - voice, fluency etc - which may be more interesting
I can definitely commiserate with the paperwork aspect - it’s really not fun.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 10:01 pm
Im the anon from above. So I did my CF in a school and I did some clinical externship at an outpatient rehab facility for stroke patients/TBI etc. I don't really know any frum SLPs that work in the medical field though. I could do that instead of dysphagia and feeding. I like the idea of newborn feeding.... I dunno! I wish I could leave the job and be a teacher. Is it normal to be upset with career of choice? Do you ladies believe you need to love what you do?I just view it as a job...

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 10:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Im the anon from above. So I did my CF in a school and I did some clinical externship at an outpatient rehab facility for stroke patients/TBI etc. I don't really know any frum SLPs that work in the medical field though. I could do that instead of dysphagia and feeding. I like the idea of newborn feeding.... I dunno! I wish I could leave the job and be a teacher. Is it normal to be upset with career of choice? Do you ladies believe you need to love what you do?I just view it as a job...

It's very normal for people to seek a career change.

You don't necessarily need to love what you do. Some people need that more than others. I know that I struggle very much with disliking my job. I'm trying to figure things out now. Some people are okay and just get through it, as I've seen my parents do.

Last edited by amother on Fri, Jul 05 2019, 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

mig100

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 1:26 am
[quote="amother [ OP ]"Is it normal to be upset with career of choice? Do you ladies believe you need to love what you do?I just view it as a job...[/quote]

I.understand ur thoughts and have struggled with this a,lot.

The truth is like everything in life- everyone's different. Some r satisfied to just have a stable job. Others need a lot more.

I'd say no job is perfect. Yet when the job begins to drain ur emotional health and destroy ur overall quality of life- its time for change.

imorethanamother

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi everyone,

Question: Why do you think you love teaching, but dislike speech therapy? Aren't they similar, when you really think about it?

amother
Green

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 7:40 am
I am with you...
One thing I could suggest is to read some books about the science of what you are doing and put some intellect into it

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 10:50 am
It's a balancing act of different priorities.
If it truly makes you miserable, it's probably time to leave (even if you do something/train for something at night until you can make the switch). Use the time to figure what else you like. It sounds like you also didn't find teaching ideal so I wouldn't recommend going back to that.
If you think about your lifestyle and find that on balance the pluses ( good salary flexibility) outweigh the boredom, it may be worth staying. Or at least considering another job within speech. Or keeping the job, but finding some kind of side outlet that can make you happy.
No job is perfect. Plenty of people are burned out, but being completely miserable is not worth it.

I completely sympathize. I'm burned out at my job as well. But the pluses (work from home, decent salary, and flexible hours) outweigh the boredom and deadendness of it. I'm also a longtime Kollel wife so I understand the financial need to keep working.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 10:55 am
Are you in nyc? I know a speech therapist that is part time a seit. She said that she did not need additional schooling or certificate to do seit. She said that a speech therapist could also legally be a seit. (She also said that a seit could not be a speech therapist )
Good Luck

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 11:24 am
I am not a speech therapist but in a similar field and very unhappy. I used to be ok with my job because of the pay and benefits but now that job is finished so I am barely making anything and I absolutely hate what I am doing every day. anyone have any other ideas?

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 12:23 pm
I wouldn't say I'm burnt, only because I never liked it in the first place. I'm a speech therapist in an elementary school setting. Back when I was doing my externship everyone assured me that when I wrote be settled in a real job with a real paycheck I would like it more but sadly that hasv not proven to be the case. I also feel like I have never gained a full confidence in my therapy skills and feel like in just bluffing my way through sessions.. Which makes me feel dishonest for taking money for doing a mediocre job.. but I feel tired down to the schedule. Money wise it's not too great either unfortunately. Wish I had a better option..

Mevater

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 12:26 pm
Which careers are non-repetitive, exciting careers?

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 12:28 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
I wouldn't say I'm burnt, only because I never liked it in the first place. I'm a speech therapist in an elementary school setting. Back when I was doing my externship everyone assured me that when I wrote be settled in a real job with a real paycheck I would like it more but sadly that hasv not proven to be the case. I also feel like I have never gained a full confidence in my therapy skills and feel like in just bluffing my way through sessions.. Which makes me feel dishonest for taking money for doing a mediocre job.. but I feel tired down to the schedule. Money wise it's not too great either unfortunately. Wish I had a better option..

Totally feel you. This is exactly my situation.

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 12:49 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:

In that case can you take continuing education courses to improve your skills? The other options are going back to school or transitioning to another field if you can without additional schooling.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 1:10 pm
Can you try to mix it up. For example still do the speech but get a job teaching Navi for one period in a school?

I know someone who is a social worker for parnassah but teaches a few high school classes a week but that is what gives her joy.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics