Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Getting diagnosed as autistic
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 2:36 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
But there is no data that floortime works. Why would you want to do something that has no data behind it?

A research review was published last month that compiles the results of many studies. There actually is lots of data that shows DIR Floortime is effective, but it wasn’t published in this comprehensive manner until now. You can find the review on the website for the PLAY Project. And yes, some states are now funding this via early intervention given the solid evidence for its efficacy. Floortime isn’t just playing on the floor - there are specific skills addressed in therapy. Like with all therapies, some therapists are more skilled than others, and some click better with some clients than others. Many people say they do Floortime but if you’re interested in this you need to find a certified therapist. Look on the ICDL or Profectum websites for a therapist. Progress is often slower or looks different than with ABA, as the foundational skills being addressed differ. However this progress is also often generalized to other environments and built upon to reach higher skills.

aricelli

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 2:41 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
A research review was published last month that compiles the results of many studies. There actually is lots of data that shows DIR Floortime is effective, but it wasn’t published in this comprehensive manner until now. You can find the review on the website for the PLAY Project. And yes, some states are now funding this via early intervention given the solid evidence for its efficacy. Floortime isn’t just playing on the floor - there are specific skills addressed in therapy. Like with all therapies, some therapists are more skilled than others, and some click better with some clients than others. Many people say they do Floortime but if you’re interested in this you need to find a certified therapist. Look on the ICDL or Profectum websites for a therapist. Progress is often slower or looks different than with ABA, as the foundational skills being addressed differ. However this progress is also often generalized to other environments and built upon to reach higher skills.

Amen! If I havent spoken to you yet- do you have any leads to floortime therapists- may want to switch for next year. Any leads to floortime trainings that I can “audit” as a parent?

aricelli

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 3:31 pm
So- if anyone has recommendations for a floortime therapist that they personally have experience with please pm me with some info! Icdl website is nice but doesnt tell me about how the therapist interacts with parents and children and what their strengths are- each ones different!
I’m in the tristate area but would travel if need!

cbsp

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 5:24 pm
aricelli wrote:
So- if anyone has recommendations for a floortime therapist that they personally have experience with please pm me with some info! Icdl website is nice but doesnt tell me about how the therapist interacts with parents and children and what their strengths are- each ones different!
I’m in the tristate area but would travel if need!

The program at Montclair State University

https://www.montclair.edu/cehs.....ices/

https://www.montclair.edu/cent.....ices/

Contact
Referrals: Kaitlin Mulcahy, MA, LPC, Associate Director
973-655-6692; caecmh@montclair.edu

Questions: Daniela Montecinos, Office Assistant
973-655-6685; caecmh@montclair.edu

The Center for Clinical Services is located at 147 Clove Road in Little Falls, just off Routes 46 and 3 East (across from New Jersey Transit’s Montclair State University Station). The GPS address is 35 Clove Road, Little Falls.

Appointments are required. To make an appointment, call 973-655-3600. The Center is open 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday-Thursday and 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Friday.

They don't necessarily take insurance but will work on a sliding scale depending on the financial situation.

aricelli

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 5:34 pm
Thanks! But I’d love a personal referral from someone who actually has experience with a particular therapist

cbsp

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 5:48 pm
aricelli wrote:
Thanks! But I’d love a personal referral from someone who actually has experience with a particular therapist

My kid(s) go there (it's one kid but they work with the family unit)

aricelli

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 5:49 pm
cbsp wrote:
My kid(s) go there (it's one kid but they work with the family unit)

Oh! Thanks! Anyone in particular you can recommend? Any males?

cbsp

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 6:01 pm
aricelli wrote:
Oh! Thanks! Anyone in particular you can recommend? Any males?

I don't know. They're a university so they'll also have graduate level students working along with the main therapist. We've had male students (our main therapist is a female, but then again, DS is only 7).

I would schedule an appointment for an intake (IIRC it's done without the child in question) so you can get a feel for the place and they can see if they'd be a good fit for you.

I find it super helpful for me as a parent to have them as a resource.

Hatzlachah!

aricelli

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 6:08 pm
cbsp wrote:
I don't know. They're a university so they'll also have graduate level students working along with the main therapist. We've had male students (our main therapist is a female, but then again, DS is only 7).

I would schedule an appointment for an intake (IIRC it's done without the child in question) so you can get a feel for the place and they can see if they'd be a good fit for you.

I find it super helpful for me as a parent to have them as a resource.

Hatzlachah!

Wow! Thanks. My ds is seven as well but somehow does better with the men.

aricelli

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 6:10 pm
Cbsp: sorry to bother again- I looked up the clinic- do they do floortime as well?

cbsp

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 6:56 pm
aricelli wrote:
Cbsp: sorry to bother again- I looked up the clinic- do they do floortime as well?

Yes, DIR /floor time is the model used. The supervisor /therapist we see is Jennifer Faasse.

aricelli

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 7:02 pm
Beautiful. Thanks again- will definately look into it.
In the meantime- anyone will floortime therapists in brookkyn?
Anyone personally used serena weider? she has a private practice in nyc and is supposed to be top in the upper levels (my son is currently level four)

aricelli

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 7:13 pm
Hey- sorry OP!!! Just realized I’m derailing your thread.
... back to you now!
Hatzlochah!!!

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 11:41 pm
aricelli wrote:
Amen! If I havent spoken to you yet- do you have any leads to floortime therapists- may want to switch for next year. Any leads to floortime trainings that I can “audit” as a parent?

Unfortunately I don’t. I’m a professional in the field, not a parent, and I live out west. I’d recommend calling one of the Floortime schools (Rebecca School in the city or Celebrate the Children in NJ) and asking if any of their staff work privately. Many likely do. Depending on your child’s current skills it may be beneficial to specifically use an OT or SLP. An OT is great for kids who have difficulty with motor planning, regulation, or any motor skills.

aricelli

Post Wed, Jun 26 2019, 11:45 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Unfortunately I don’t. I’m a professional in the field, not a parent, and I live out west. I’d recommend calling one of the Floortime schools (Rebecca School in the city or Celebrate the Children in NJ) and asking if any of their staff work privately. Many likely do. Depending on your child’s current skills it may be beneficial to specifically use an OT or SLP. An OT is great for kids who have difficulty with motor planning, regulation, or any motor skills.

Theres nothing like getting a recommendation directly from a parent! OT’s awesome but boy is it hard finding a floortime OT!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics