Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Mishpacha Magazine had photos of women in Shavuos issue
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 9:51 pm
I'm surprised that this has not yet been mentioned on Imamother!

It was in that article about an organization, I think Zichron Menachem, that helps families with children who have illnesses.

I can't find my magazine now; I'll have to leave a message for DS in yeshiva about where he hid it, or someone else can find it and post a photo!

I'm so glad that they're headed in this direction! And it's in the main magazine, not even the Family First!

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 10:21 pm
Well, I think it's terrible that liberalism and feminism has made inroads in our community. I'm glad that I refuse to read mishpacha.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 10:26 pm
ectomorph wrote:
Well, I think it's terrible that liberalism and feminism has made inroads in our community. I'm glad that I refuse to read mishpacha.

Photos of women predated feminism.

What it did produce was self-employed female photographers Smile

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 10:27 pm
Yuck. Mishpacha was the one who started this in the first place.
And the pictures were so subtle. Crowds. Doubt they'll go with individual pictures of specific people they're writing about.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 10:32 pm
Maybe they're testing the waters.

Good for them!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 10:32 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Yuck. Mishpacha was the one who started this in the first place.
And the pictures were so subtle. Crowds. Doubt they'll go with individual pictures of specific people they're writing about.

Hopefully it was a trial balloon.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 10:37 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Photos of women predated feminism.

What it did produce was self-employed female photographers Smile

That's me! A self employed female photographeršŸ˜Š

It was a photo of 3 teen girls. One obviously had cancer and no hair. It wasn't a photo of a crowd, unless 3's a crowd!

Orchid

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 10:40 pm
ectomorph wrote:

I know, right? I'm glad I never read Jewish Observer and all the other Artscroll books that used to have women in them (ex-Lt. Birnbaum) because they were just so feminist and liberal back in the 1970s! I mean every single posek holds it's totally assur to ever post a picture of an elderly rebbetzin or a 5 year old girl, so I'm glad I also don't read such pritzus!

tweek

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 10:41 pm
I noticed it as well!

I also noticed that ami had the exact same article, minus the picture.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 10:42 pm
TranquilityAndPeace wrote:
That's me! A self employed female photographeršŸ˜Š

It was a photo of 3 teen girls. One obviously had cancer and no hair. It wasn't a photo of a crowd, unless 3's a crowd!

I thought I was rather clever with that ... with you being the OP and all Smile

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 10:46 pm
Orchid, all those books + The Jewish Observer had pics of women well into the 90s....So it's not even that long ago.
Funny coincidence, I just reread Lt. Birnbaum this past Shabbos, I probably hadn't read it in close to 20 years. The pictures added so much to his amazing story, including those of his amazing mother as a young woman and also when she was older.

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 10:52 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Orchid, all those books + The Jewish Observer had pics of women well into the 90s....So it's not even that long ago.
Funny coincidence, I just reread Lt. Birnbaum this past Shabbos, I probably hadn't read it in close to 20 years. The pictures added so much to his amazing story, including those of his amazing mother as a young woman and also when she was older.

Artscroll just recently published a biography of Rav Shteinman with pictures of women.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 11:00 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Artscroll just recently published a biography of Rav Shteinman with pictures of women.

All the books have. Rebbetzin Kanievsky, rav nosson Tzvi ...

Although I do see why a magazine is much more complicated. Especially the advertisement part. Personally Iā€™d prefer they not go that route.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 11:13 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
I thought I was rather clever with that ... with you being the OP and all Smile

Oh, you're funny! I'd thought it was a coincidence!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 11:39 pm
I read the article and didn't realize a picture of women...I always "chalish" to have at least a small headphoto of all Choshuva women featured!!!

STMommy

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 8:32 am
I'm glad.
Hopefully it was not an "error" that gets retracted.
I got prematurely excited when a certain publication had a picture of woman in it a couple of weeks ago. The following week they published a disgustingly pandering apology Twisted Evil

#frumwomenhavefaces

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 8:36 am
The deliberate omission of womens' and girls' photos is generally disturbing.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 8:41 am
I really wish that Imamother would come up with a /sarcasm font.

I can't even tell who's joking anymore. Confused

Orchid

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 9:30 am
Mommyg8 wrote:

No doubt, due to the influence of feminism. I mean there cannot be any other reason that showing a grainy black and white picture of a woman in a book is anything other than feminism.

(FF, this is for you: SARCASM! Very Happy)

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 9:45 am
I believe that pictures of women should not be in a magazine - for the following reason:
Yes, it starts off with a picture of a women properly dressed, modest etc. but as time goes on those lines may get blurred and slowly it's hard to draw the line. Ex: they put in a picture of a chushuv rebbetzin on her yartzeit, but then when someone else who was not properly dressed has a yartzeit, the family will feel insulted if her picture isn't included and so the magazine is pressured. Or a company that is a regular advertiser wants to put in a picture of a model that isn't so ok, the magazine may not be able to say no.
Yes, it would be nice to be able to only include proper pictures, but this world is very political and over time you can be sure that the standards will be lowered.
It is a lot safer to make a blanket rule of "no women" then to get into these issues.
Page 1 of 9   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room