Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Principals vs.full time working moms

fbcmom

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 11:12 pm
I work in a school setting and had a conversation recently with two principals about why someone would or would not accept The offer of becoming a principal . I listened to the back and forth and basically the convo turned into complete yet humble self-loathing about the chinuch aspect and spiritual influence and self fulfilling feelings that come along with it..... all these feelings should override any uncertainty about about doing such a job . I know that working in chinuch is special and the payback will be great only Hashem can repay...
But, when I came home I kept on thinking about the time and sacrifices that goes into juggling being a principal and raising a family at the same time . How in the world , or rather why in the world is it different than owning a business or working 15 hrs a day? I know how much time these principals give away ,how many things they don’t get to do because they are so busy . And somehow they are the most lofty individuals in our communities where their kids aren’t neglected, the kids don’t suffer any fallout from lack of quality time, their families have gourmet food.... huh? Fact is: every yes in life is a no to something else. If my community claims that full time working moms neglect their homes in some way, than why no judgement for others who give away even more hours of their private lives ?? Does the “ holiness of their position cover for any fallout ?

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 11:20 pm
OP, I'm having a hard time understanding your post. Can you clarify a bit?

Last edited by amother on Fri, Jul 05 2019, 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

unexpected

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 11:28 pm
I don't know what you are talking about. Where I live, the hebrew principal works from 9-2 (or 3) and the english principal works from 11-4. This is by no means a full time job. Yes, I get that there are meetings, and principals usually have to work on off days and through the summer but they are not putting in 15 hour days on a regular basis and they are not working 9-5 outside of the home. Also, their children are not immune to problems and some know how to cook and some don't. Also, it's rare to find a young principal with only young kids at home.

fbcmom

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 11:34 pm
The principal I work with has seven young kids. It was just the attitude of doing the most special job with the most rewarding feeling that ticked me off. I know she’s sleeping 4-5 hrs a night, works 4 hrs in the Morning from home and leaves to school till 5. By 8-9 she is on the phone already. What bothered me was that we don’t have the same attitude of ‘ what’s she sacrificing at home’ for principals than for anyone out there choosing to work just as many hours.

unexpected

Post Mon, Jun 17 2019, 11:37 pm
Honestly, I don't ever look at someone who works full time and ask myself "what's she sacrificing at home" I would guess that people who look at others like that also look at principals like that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics