Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Chicken soup recipe from chasidish or heimish homes?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

giselle

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 10:48 pm
crust wrote:
I used to love it but the checking became too much of a task.

You can put it in a special bag (I think bodek makes them). They also sell bug free fresh herbs.

Laiya

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 10:57 pm
In addition to the vegetables, chicken, salt and pepper, I add a generous amount of paprika. Once, I mistakenly used hot paprika, and my very picky eaters loved it! So now I also use both hot and sweet paprika.

oneofakind

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 12:01 am
The Hungarian traditional chicken soup had onion, carrots, parsnip, parsnip and chicken bones, salt and pepper. No zuchinni. A lot of chicken bones makes for a rich soup.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 2:17 am
I was avoiding this thread because, although I am a chicken soup expert, I am neither chassidish nor heimish. But I couldn’t resist, and I see other non-chassidim posting, so I’ll join.

Why don’t chassidim put actual chicken in their chicken soup? Why just bones? Chicken meat and skin add a lot of flavor. They add fat too, but you can always let that rise to the top and take it off.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 2:19 am
Ruchel wrote:
each family is different
zucchini I've never seen

I know, right? As my father z”l would have said, “We didn’t have that in Europe!”

smile12345

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 9:10 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
I was avoiding this thread because, although I am a chicken soup expert, I am neither chassidish nor heimish. But I couldn’t resist, and I see other non-chassidim posting, so I’ll join.

Why don’t chassidim put actual chicken in their chicken soup? Why just bones? Chicken meat and skin add a lot of flavor. They add fat too, but you can always let that rise to the top and take it off.

What parts of the chicken do you put in?

Notsobusy

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 9:15 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:

We aren't chassidish, but my mother always used bones because they're cheaper. We used to go to a butcher who would give away the bones for free, I think that's when she started using bones instead of actual chicken.

geshmak

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 9:23 am
I use bones and wings, then take apart the wings and make chicken salad with it. (Sauted with garlic etc)
The more chicken, whichever parts you choose to use, the richer the soup.
Lots of veggies. Cook for several hours.

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 9:24 am
I boil chicken (not bones) for at least two hours to get the scum out before I add vegtables. I add lots of carrots, celery, parsley, dill, a large onion, pepper balls. Saffron is the key to the gorgeous yellow color and a delicious taste.

I strain everything out and add carrots, noodles, and a matzo ball to serve.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 9:30 am
smile12345 wrote:

I often use a whole chicken. Sometimes I'll cut off the drumsticks for other uses. I make chicken salad with the simmered chicken. (I try not to let it actually boil.)

Sometimes I'll use a cut-up chicken. That makes it a lot easier to set aside some parts. When I use a cut-up chicken for other purposes, I often reserve the wings and neck and put them in the freezer. Then, when I have enough wings and necks, I make chicken soup out of them. But we don't eat the necks, and I don't particularly like a chicken salad made out of wings.

Last edited by JoyInTheMorning on Wed, Jun 19 2019, 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Littlemiracles

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 9:33 am
crust wrote:
I used to love it but the checking became too much of a task.

My mother a"h used to put the herbs in a cloth and that way there was no problem with checking it. Her soup was always delicious.

Teomima

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 10:52 am
smile12345 wrote:

No one in my house really loves the wings, so I save those, necks and backs in a bag in the freezer to be used for soup.

doodlesmom

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 6:59 pm
I don't like putting herbs
I put in 3 chicken bottoms, carrots parsnip sweet potato squashad celery ( a small beet gives a beautiful golden color once cooked).
I season with salt only.
I boil it and then lower the flame and let it cook for hours.
Chicken bottoms make a cleaner soup than bones.
Putting in the chicken once the water is boiling makes a cleaner soup as well ur I usually don't bother.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 7:48 pm
I use bones because nobody wants to eat the cooked chicken and I don't want to waste perfectly good food. The bones give off just enough shredded chicken for me to enjoy, since I'm the only one who will eat it. I use 3 lbs of bones for an 8 quart pot of soup and it gives incredible flavor. My relative who is chassidish uses complete chicken pieces, not bones.

DREAMING

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 7:49 pm
I use 4 chicken bottoms and a pack of bones to my soup (about 12-15 cups water — depending on the lb of chicken\bones)

1/2 sml celery knob
2 large loose carrots
Small Parsley root
Small Parsnip

Boil, cook 1 1/2 hours. I prefer to strain the soup before serving or freezing.

PeanutMama

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 9:22 am
Hi everyone.
So this is what I do
I put a pack of bones, then I add chicken drumsticks in and add salt then boil
Take off the gunk
Add veggies (4 carrots 1 onion and 3 pieces celery) 2 cubes crushed garlic and more salt
Cook for like 3-5 hours depending on candlelighting lol

It doesn’t have much flavor tho even with salt
So I brought a celery root (that gnarly looking white ball with brown bumps and lines) and I’d like to know what else I can put in to make it flavorful!

It’s my first time touching a celery root so I’d need directions on how to add to the soup lol. Do I cut it peel it etc....?

I’ve seen zucchini on here, I don’t know how many veggies my pot can handle but I guess I’ll cut it up but first peel.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 9:26 am
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Hi everyone.
So this is what I do
Take off the gunk
Add veggies (4 carrots 1 onion and 3 pieces celery) 2 cubes crushed garlic and more salt

So I brought a celery root (that gnarly looking white ball with brown bumps and lines) and I’d like to know what else I can put in to make it flavorful!

It’s my first time touching a celery root so I’d need directions on how to add to the soup lol. Do I cut it peel it etc....?

I’ve seen zucchini on here, I don’t know how many veggies my pot can handle but I guess I’ll cut it up but first peel.

What size pot? It needs lots of veggies for all that flavor you're looking for. Yes that means less broth, but delicious broth.

A 6 quart pot needs 5 jumbo loose carrots (not from those puny 1 pound bags lol), 1 large parsnip, 1 medium zucchini, 1 small sweet potato yam, 3/4 ounce fresh dill, 3/4 head of garlic, peeled but intact.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 9:31 am
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Hi everyone.
So this is what I do
Take off the gunk

Add a parsnip and some turnip cut up. That adds flavor .
Also peel the celery root and cut it up into big chunks . Same with the parsnip and turnip .

PeanutMama

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 9:38 am
Since it’s gonna be Yom Tov I’m thinking of using an 8qrt pot but then I won’t have enough space on the griddle for that.. :/

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Oct 01 2020, 9:50 am
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:
Since it’s gonna be Yom Tov I’m thinking of using an 8qrt pot but then I won’t have enough space on the griddle for that.. :/

I cook my soup in a large pot. Then I remove the vegetables besides for carrots. I strain my soup and pour it into containers , add carrot and freeze or refrigerate . Then in a smaller pot I rewarm the amount of soup I need for one meal.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus