Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Less uncovered Sheitels more covered Sheitels in Boro Park.
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 1:37 pm
Over the last few years, Im seeing less uncovered Sheitels, and more covered Sheitels in Boro Park.

Are BP people moving to the right (becoming frummer), or are the non-covered Sheitel wearers moving elsewhere.

I also used to see way more "Hot Chanis" in BP. As time goes on, I see less and less.

Where are the Tzniusdik women wearing uncovered Sheitels and the "Hot Chanis" (a little less Tzniusdik, with very long Sheitels, very high heels, snug clothing) moving to?

pesek zman

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 1:44 pm
Respectfully (as a non chassid who wears a full Shaitel) I don’t think they covered Shaitel’s are frummer, or more tsniusdik. It’s just their family’s tradition.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:01 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Respectfully (as a non chassid who wears a full Shaitel) I don’t think they covered Shaitel’s are frummer, or more tsniusdik. It’s just their family’s tradition.

That may be somewhat true, although covered Sheitels generally go with seamed stockings, and generally their level of Tznius (less snug fit, longer skirts, less trendy) is a notch above women who wear non seamed stockings' way of dress.

In any case, whether its a gauge of anything or not, Im seeing way more covered Sheitels and less uncovered Sheitels in BP, as time goes on.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:03 pm
They moved to Toms River/ Lakewood . I know few such people that moved there

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:04 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
They moved to Toms River/ Lakewood . I know few such people that moved there

They drive?

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:05 pm
I don't know the answer, but as a covered shaitel, non seamed stockings wearer, I just want to let you know that seamed stockings is a Satmar "invention" and followed by chassidim of Satmar (or other "Satmar geshtimt" chassidus) and Viznitz Monsey because the Rebbe was a Satmar talmid.

tweety1

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That may be somewhat true, although covered Sheitels generally go with seamed stockings, and generally their level of Tznius (less snug fit, longer skirts, less trendy) is a notch above women who wear non seamed stockings' way of dress.

In any case, whether its a gauge of anything or not, Im seeing way more covered Sheitels and less uncovered Sheitels in BP, as time goes on.

What you're saying abt covered sheitels used to be true. Unfortunately these days not anymore. The covered sheitels has become a trend today just like the "veisa zuken". Sad but true.

aliavi

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:10 pm
Why are you asking? What use is this information? “Hot Chani” is a very deragatory term. Is this proper speech?

Last edited by aliavi on Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:10 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
I don't know the answer, but as a covered shaitel, non seamed stockings wearer, I just want to let you know that seamed stockings is a Satmar "invention" and followed by chassidim of Satmar (or other "Satmar geshtimt" chassidus) and Viznitz Monsey because the Rebbe was a Satmar talmid.

Huh?? Viznitz monsey is not a satmar talmid. Viznitz and satmar never went together and never will. Viznitz and satmar is like saying furniture and groceries you can buy in the same shop.
It's true that the satmar rebbe invented seams. But as I far as I know Viznitz yrs ago probably our mothers ages did not wear seams.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:11 pm
tweety1 wrote:
What you're saying abt covered sheitels used to be true. Unfortunately these days not anymore. The covered sheitels has become a trend today just like the "veisa zuken". Sad but true.

It's a "competition" of who can look "holier". In Bobov for example, my parents generation did not cover their sheitels , besides Friday night with a white tichel. Now the people my age or younger wear hats and bands on their sheitels. I can tell you that their parents were more genuine and ehrlich even without the double covering. Uh huh. Sad but true.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:14 pm
I'm seeing both exremes.

More chasidish women wearing very long sheitels.

And more covered sheitels than previously.

I know someone who doesn't wear a covered sheitel and all her married daughters wear covered.

She only chooses DIL's whose mother covers or who will be in agreement to covering even though their mother doesn't.

tweety1

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:17 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
It's a "competition" of who can look "holier". In Bobov for example, my parents generation did not cover their sheitels , besides Friday night with a white tichel. Now the people my age or younger wear hats and bands on their sheitels. I can tell you that their parents were more genuine and ehrlich even without the double covering. Uh huh. Sad but true.

That's why I said it's a trend. It became a whl "shtick". Even though our mothers wore plain sheitels they were way more tzniusdig and eidel than today's covered. I don't admire a covered sheitel any more than I admire a plain one. It all has to do how it's worn.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:19 pm
The crowd is different. Times have changed.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:23 pm
thunderstorm wrote:

What’s sad is negatively categorizing any group of Jews like saying they’re competing for holiness, you have no idea what’s in people’s minds or what motivates them or what their minhagim are. Not nice.

dankbar

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:38 pm
There are plenty uncovered sheitels who are very eidel & tsniusdig. There also plenty covered with hats or bands that are shticky. So no blanket statements please.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:42 pm
aliavi wrote:
Why are you asking? What use is this information? “Hot Chani” is a very deragatory term. Is this proper speech?

What else would you call a Hot Chani?

little neshamala

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:43 pm
aliavi wrote:

"Hot Chani" has basically become a new vocabulary word. Doesnt really shock me when I hear it used

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 3:02 pm
tweety1 wrote:
That's why I said it's a trend. It became a whl "shtick". Even though our mothers wore plain sheitels they were way more tzniusdig and eidel than today's covered. I don't admire a covered sheitel any more than I admire a plain one. It all has to do how it's worn.

I don’t wear a covered sheitel (not my minhag) and my sheitel is probably longer than it should ideally be but to play devil’s advocate years ago sheitels did not look as natural as they do nowadays and was unlikely to be mistaken for hair.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 3:06 pm
Op to answer your question neighborhoods change. BP used to have non Chassidim as well.

People move.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 3:10 pm
little neshamala wrote:
"Hot Chani" has basically become a new vocabulary word. Doesnt really shock me when I hear it used

Its a phrase, not a word - and its still derogatory even if you've lost your sensitivity to it.
Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics