Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Yona for a girl?
1  2  3  Next

sunflower416

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 1:37 pm
Thoughts on Yona for a girl? I’m seeing online forums saying it means “dove” but was recently told it’s the name of a teffilah on YK which would be great as baby is due around then. Not as into other girls names associated with RH/YK. On the other hand do you just think of boy’s name Yonah/Jonah when you hear it? (Which is also topical for a YK baby but I’m trying to pick girl options). Thanks for input!

singleagain

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 1:39 pm
I would think Yona is a boy.... But I could see it for a girl

Is Yonina the same name? Cause that is a girls name no question to me

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 1:39 pm
Not a fan. I don't like gender neutral names in today's day and age.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 1:41 pm
sunflower416 wrote:
Thoughts on Yona for a girl? I’m seeing online forums saying it means “dove” but was recently told it’s the name of a teffilah on YK which would be great as baby is due around then. Not as into other girls names associated with RH/YK. On the other hand do you just think of boy’s name Yonah/Jonah when you hear it? (Which is also topical for a YK baby but I’m trying to pick girl options). Thanks for input!

Not a Tefillah, but actually, Yona (as in the Navi) is read on Y"K at Mincha. But that has a male connotation.

DD has a friend named Yona (emphasis on the last syllable). I think it's a beautiful name. Her friend is Sephardi, if it makes any difference.

trixx

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 1:41 pm
Jonah is a girl's name but I think of yona as a boys name unless Israelis will weigh in otherwise?
What about other names like tehila, rachama etc related to the time

pesek zman

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 1:42 pm
I love it. I like it better for a girl than a boy

amother
Black

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 1:44 pm
I know two female Yonahs. And it does mean dove. But it is the name of a person in Tanach who was a man. The book of Yonah is the haftorah for mincha on Yom Kippur, so that's why the name is associated with it. Depending on your community it may be acceptable as a girl's name, but it is first and foremost a boy's name, because the Biblical figure who had that name was a man.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 1:45 pm
I know a female named yona. I think it’s a cute name.

sbk

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 1:48 pm
Yonah is an Ashkenazi boy's name & a Sefaradi girl's name. With the name Simcha it's exactly the opposite.

BatyaEsther

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 1:49 pm
Yona is a girl
Yonah is a boy

blessedjmom

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 1:55 pm
I have a friend Yona. (Yemenite)

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:03 pm
In my community it is a completely gender-neutral name. I know both females and males with this name and they are both ashkenazim. I do agree with the poster above that for a girl I would spell it without the "h" at the end.

sunflower416

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:05 pm
Ladies thank you for the lighting fast replies! Wow. I’m new to the site and I can see why ppl say it’s addictive lol. Agree w/those who are not so into unisex names so may need to keep searching. On the other hand my DH is Sephardic so it kinda works as a girl’s name in that respect, and I think it sounds so pretty. Will have to ask MIL what she was talking about with regards to teffilah because she definitely didn’t mean sefer yonah. Hmm!

Last edited by sunflower416 on Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

essie14

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:07 pm
I know many female Yona's. Some are called Yoni.
I also know many males named Yona who are also called Yoni. It's very gender neutral.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:09 pm
ectomorph wrote:

Agree with you BUT there are two names who actually are used even in chareidi circles: Yona/h and Simcha. For some unknown reason they are considered acceptable.

Rappel

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:09 pm
In Israel, DL, I only know female Yonas. I also knew an Ashkenazic woman in Brooklyn named Yona, and no one batted an eyelash.

Go with what you love.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:18 pm
Gender-neutral. I associate Yona as a girls' name among Sephardim.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:18 pm
I have a cousin ( female ) named Yona, and called Yoni. Her mil didn't like the idea of Yoni for a girl, and calls her Yonit.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:20 pm
I know a couple of ladies named Yonah. One married a Yonah.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:21 pm
ectomorph wrote:

Agree. Don’t saddle a child with a name she’ll be made fun of in school....
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names