Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Spinoff - Checking Children's Privates
Previous  1  2

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 11:14 pm
My children's pediatrician checks very briefly at each well-visit, but he warns the older (preschool aged) kids, reminds them of personal privacy/safety each time, and asked me if we've discussed this at home. When I replied that we had not, he strongly encouraged me to start the discussion, and recommended getting the Bracha Goetz book on it (he's frum) - which we did Smile It was a great springboard for discussion, and while my children are still young (see above), I can tell my oldest gets many of the concepts, and I feel more comfortable and secure with him understanding what's appropriate and what's not. He caught me off guard during bath-time, starting to ask about his anatomy, and the function of specific organs. I said that they'll help him when he's married to have children. B"H he was satisfied Smile

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 5:37 am
I just remembered this one time when I was like 12 and my doctor checked me down there and looked disturbed. He asked if I’d been shaving. I had been, and was so embarrassed to have my mom hear about it!

Do most kids shave their pubic hair? I remember feeling like I’d done something wrong.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 5:42 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
I just remembered this one time when I was like 12 and my doctor checked me down there and looked disturbed. He asked if I’d been shaving. I had been, and was so embarrassed to have my mom hear about it!

Do most kids shave their pubic hair? I remember feeling like I’d done something wrong.

Most kids don’t shave pubic hair at that age. It starts later on.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 5:44 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
My children's pediatrician checks very briefly at each well-visit, but he warns the older (preschool aged) kids, reminds them of personal privacy/safety each time, and asked me if we've discussed this at home. When I replied that we had not, he strongly encouraged me to start the discussion, and recommended getting the Bracha Goetz book on it (he's frum) - which we did Smile It was a great springboard for discussion, and while my children are still young (see above), I can tell my oldest gets many of the concepts, and I feel more comfortable and secure with him understanding what's appropriate and what's not. He caught me off guard during bath-time, starting to ask about his anatomy, and the function of specific organs. I said that they'll help him when he's married to have children. B"H he was satisfied Smile

I do discuss this with my kids. And when we went to the pediatrician my 5 year old was holding his undies and I told him mommy is hearand the doctor needs to look to make sure all looks ok and he didn’t leave go till then. But my doctor also talks to them while she doing it and before she tells them she’s only taking a peak

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 6:19 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
I was wondering if someone can tell me if this is normal or not...I will ask the ped but till I get to ask...I undressed my son to bathe him, he was animatedly telling me a story and I realized that every time he spoke one of his testes sort of disappeared. Is this normal? Maybe I should really start a spinoff sorry OP

Sounds like a retractile testes. Can be normal as long as it doesn't permanently ascend. Bring it up with your pediatrician, usually by the time he will enter puberty it will stop retracting upwards, but he should be monitored.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics