Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Shabbat light for closet without outlet

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 1:56 pm
The closet in our master bedroom is very dark. Normally that’s not an issue as there’s a light switch on the outside. The problem is Shabbat. We can’t leave that light on all day.
The closet itself does not have an outlet nearby. Other than calling an electrician to install an outlet in the closet (and we could put a Shabbat lamp) or putting a timer on the outside light switch, is there any solution that anyone can think of?

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The closet in our master bedroom is very dark. Normally that’s not an issue as there’s a light switch on the outside. The problem is Shabbat. We can’t leave that light on all day.
The closet itself does not have an outlet nearby. Other than calling an electrician to install an outlet in the closet (and we could put a Shabbat lamp) or putting a timer on the outside light switch, is there any solution that anyone can think of?

Why can’t u leave it on all day? Because of the cost of electricity? That would be minimal.

teachkids

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:01 pm
I bought small battery powered LED lights and rechargable batteries. They last till shabbos day and I recharge for the next week.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You can use a battery powered light

https://www.amazon.com/Battery.....FY3KU

But it would still be on all of Shabbat.

Can you just set out your things before Shabbat, so you don't need to go into the closet?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:11 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Why can’t u leave it on all day? Because of the cost of electricity? That would be minimal.

Nothing to do with the cost of electricity The light (even with the door closed) is disruptive to our sleep.

nchr

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Nothing to do with the cost of electricity The light (even with the door closed) is disruptive to our sleep.

Use a timer.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I've never used one, but don't they make Shabbat bulbs now?

https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite.....J6HXH

(Let me know how it works. I'd consider getting one for the kid who has broken every Shabbat lamp ever placed in his room.)

mha3484

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:17 pm
We love our shabbat bulb. I like it a lot better then the lamp.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:23 pm
mha3484 wrote:

Thanks.

Do you leave it in all week, or change the bulb before Shabbat?

mha3484

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:25 pm
I leave it in all week.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:26 pm
I have a nursing baby so I especially like that if I want to change a diaper etc it can be dimmed but the light spreads out more then the shabbos lamp.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:28 pm
mha3484 wrote:

Me too. I keep a Shabbos bulb in my lamp on my night table and turn it on and off as needed. The same can be done in a closet. We do it in one of our bedrooms . The kids play with the light "on" and we shut it for bed time.

Last edited by thunderstorm on Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:29 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Thanks.

Do you leave it in all week, or change the bulb before Shabbat?

I leave it in all week.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:31 pm
You can use a small battery operated light.
For the shabbos bulb, you have to climb to the ceiling every time you wanna adjust it.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:32 pm
Yup put in a shabbulb. We have one for when guests come. We use it with a lampholder adapter plug and plug it into the wall. But we've also swapped out the main light's lightbulb and used it that way.
You can do that with your closet lightbulb. Use the shabbulb instead of your regular bulb all week, turn your lights on and off as usual, and keep the light switch on all Shabbos - but close the Shabbos flap when you're going to sleep.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:33 pm
nchr wrote:
Use a timer.

Yes I know I can use a timer. I would just rather avoid paying to have an electrician to install one
And I can’t plug in a lamp because there’s no outlet in or near there.
Thought maybe there’s such a thing as a battery operated shabbos lamp. I guess not.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 2:47 pm
There are battery operated small lights that stick on to the wall. We have several.

SisterSix

Post Tue, Jun 18 2019, 5:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes I know I can use a timer. I would just rather avoid paying to have an electrician to install one

Tada!

https://www.amazon.com/Switchm.....psc=1
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics