Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
14-15 y olds and Youth Corp
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 3:27 pm
If your child won the lottery already, what are they doing? Keeping it and will be busy with their education program for half a day, without ability to work? Or dropping out of it and just working in a camp (with the camp paying $200-250 for the summer)?

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 3:35 pm
My daughter will be going to camp for one month and participating in the youth Corp program the other month.

Why would I want her to slave away for the day camps for pennies if she can relax a few hours a day and earn more money?

Next summer I would probably send her to camp for the full summer if she’s too bored.
Will also be looking into after hours teen programs.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 4:37 pm
She's going to a sleepaway now for a month or you mean she'll be working in a day camp that month?
In my case, "relaxing" for half a day daily will mean screen time. Sigh... I'd love her to be occupied at least 9-4 (the funny thing is, she doesn't actually mind working for pennies)

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 5:47 pm
Ok,

So we’re still in the planning stages for the summer- trying to figure things out.

Now my daughter is saying there weren’t many frum girls at the YC registration, her friend backed out of it, and she doesn’t want to participate in the program (not sure what it’s called) on her own.

But if you look through the classifieds there are other working options that pay a bit more than day camps if your daughter doesn’t mind working out of a day camp environment.

She’s going to sleepaway camp for a month.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 6:09 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Ok,

So we’re still in the planning stages for the summer- trying to figure things out.

Now my daughter is saying there weren’t many frum girls at the YC registration, her friend backed out of it, and she doesn’t want to participate in the program (not sure what it’s called) on her own.

But if you look through the classifieds there are other working options that pay a bit more than day camps if your daughter doesn’t mind working out of a day camp environment.

Which classifieds paper? Thinking ahead for next year. Dd told me she wants other working options than just being an assistant in a day camp.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 7:33 pm
Ok,

What will she be doing the other month?
What other working options could there be a 14 y old?

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 7:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What will she be doing the other month?
What other working options could there be a 14 y old?

My kids have worked in playgroups, assistant counselor in preschool boys day camp and more.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 7:57 pm
Oh, ok. It's still similar to a day camp

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 7:59 pm
I thought this year the rules changed and it’s only from 16 and up?

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 8:11 pm
Do you mean SYEP? If so, I think they get paid for going to the program as well.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 8:42 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
I thought this year the rules changed and it’s only from 16 and up?

They have an "education program" for 14-15.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 9:11 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Do you mean SYEP? If so, I think they get paid for going to the program as well.

Correct. Only the program is just 3h/day.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 10:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oh, ok. It's still similar to a day camp

Right, except that they got paid more per hour.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 10:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Correct. Only the program is just 4h/day.

The YC program was always intended for 14-15 year olds to work 4 hours a day.
That’s all they got paid for.

Any hours over that were unpaid so that the girls who worked 7 hours/day at day camps were working for no pay for 3 hours a day.

In addition, the YC program only runs for 6 weeks so if a girl is employees at a DC for 8 weeks and not getting paid an additional salary by the camp she is working for free for 2 weeks.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 10:31 pm

Any hours over that were unpaid so that the girls who worked 7 hours/day at day camps were working for no pay for 3 hours a day.

It was 5h/day before (25h/week while now it's 15h/week). Actually, I just realized, I made a mistake and will edit it - it's 3h/day now

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 10:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It was 5h/day before (25h/week while now it's 15h/week). Actually, I just realized, I made a mistake and will edit it - it's 3h/day now

For the 14-15 year old group or the 16-17 year old group?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 10:40 pm
For 14-15 y olds. For 16+ the hours stayed the same, I believe (25 per week), but the pay is higher because of the new minimum wage law of $15/h

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Jun 19 2019, 11:03 pm
I’m pretty sure that the 14-15 year old age group were allowed to work a maximum of 20 hours per week.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 1:14 pm
Maybe. I thought 25, but you might be right

kenz

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 4:55 pm

In addition, the YC program only runs for 6 weeks so if a girl is employees at a DC for 8 weeks and not getting paid an additional salary by the camp she is working for free for 2 weeks.

All true but it still works out to be more money than the typical day camp salary and at least they are occupied. We’ve done it for several summers and everyone was happy.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries