Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Cornrows- cultural appropriation?
1  2  3  4  Next

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 9:37 am
Is it? I recently got them and someone that I showed them to told me that it is. And that it’s offensive. I’m keeping them anyway because I like them and I think I look cute. But I’m just curious to hear others opinions. Thanks.

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 9:41 am
It’s not something I considered but yes that’s what it’s considered. (You did it to your wig or hair?)

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 9:52 am
pesek zman wrote:
It’s not something I considered but yes that’s what it’s considered. (You did it to your wig or hair?)

To my hair. So you consider it that, or “thats what it’s considered”?

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 9:59 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
To my hair. So you consider it that, or “thats what it’s considered”?

That's what its considered.

There's a real cultural history of traditionally black hair styles.

Moreover, in recent years, there have been a spate of mostly school regulations stating that black children cannot wear traditional or natural hairstyles. In that atmosphere, a non-African person wearing a similar style to be stylish or edgy is considered "cultural appropriation" -- where blacks are criticized or demeaned for wearing a style, but whites wear it for fashion.

chanatron1000

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 9:59 am
People misuse the term "cultural appropriation". To wear something from another culture isn't appropriation. To do so and then claim it as your own invention is appropriation.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 10:01 am
I think it’s cute unless it’s for a costume (blackface) which would be offensive.
In beauty school my (black) instructor was impressed with my cornrow skills. She taught me the weave even though it was not needed for the state license.
If they are done well, they could look good on anyone. Generally fine, straight hair only looks good for a few hours at best. Black hair is often left in for a week or so. (They have nearly no oil)
They often put cornrows in their girls hair to keep it beet and pretty.

Last edited by Iymnok on Thu, Jun 20 2019, 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 10:02 am
SixOfWands wrote:
That's what its considered.

There's a real cultural history of traditionally black hair styles.

Moreover, in recent years, there have been a spate of mostly school regulations stating that black children cannot wear traditional or natural hairstyles. In that atmosphere, a non-African person wearing a similar style to be stylish or edgy is considered "cultural appropriation" -- where blacks are criticized or demeaned for wearing a style, but whites wear it for fashion.

Why are there regulations about how black children can wear their hair?? That sounds bizarre.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 10:03 am
chanatron1000 wrote:
People misuse the term "cultural appropriation". To wear something from another culture isn't appropriation. To do so and then claim it as your own invention is appropriation.

That actually makes a lot of sense to me. I’m trying to figure out why it could be wrong to say, “wow, your hair is adorable. I’d love to try that on my own.” I wouldn’t get offended if a non Jew loved my snood and bought one for herself.

shyshira

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 10:05 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
That actually makes a lot of sense to me. I’m trying to figure out why it could be wrong to say, “wow, your hair is adorable. I’d love to try that on my own.” I wouldn’t get offended if a non Jew loved my snood and bought one for herself.

I think if payos started to be a thing in the general population - forgetting the term "cultural appropriation" some people would find it very difficult.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 10:06 am
Iymnok wrote:
I think it’s cute unless it’s for a costume (blackface) which would be offensive.
In beauty school my (black) instructor was impressed with my cornrow skills. She taught me the weave even though it was not needed for the state license.
If they are done well, they could look good on anyone. Generally fine, straight hair only looks good for a few hours at best. Black hair is often left in for a week or so. (They have nearly no oil)
They often put cornrows in their girls hair to keep it beet and pretty.

It’s left in for a lot more then a week. A lot of those styles take a long time to be left in for only a week. I’m leaving mine in for a few weeks at least. The bottom I left straight so I’m just washing that as usual. And the cornrows I just rub shampoo on them and wash it out.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 10:07 am
shyshira wrote:
I think if payos started to be a thing in the general population - forgetting the term "cultural appropriation" some people would find it very difficult.

Difficult in what sense? I strongly dislike the way long peyos look, but if someone else likes them, why not?

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 10:07 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
Why are there regulations about how black children can wear their hair?? That sounds bizarre.

It IS bizarre, but its been in the media a lot lately.

https://www.npr.org/sections/e.....-code

https://www.theroot.com/yet-an.....12084

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/.....96776

https://www.ebony.com/news/you.....king/

https://www.huffpost.com/entry.....e273a

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/n.....73346

https://theglowup.theroot.com/.....89233

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 10:19 am
I don't have a problem with the dress codes including hair. I have problem with uneven enforcement.

I have had cornrows and I had corn rows on my kids of both gender with beads at the end.

Mommy rock your hairstyle. This too shall pass with the PC nonsense.

shyshira

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 10:19 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
Difficult in what sense? I strongly dislike the way long peyos look, but if someone else likes them, why not?

I think we should ask mothers of boys who wear curly or long peyos if their boys are ever teased or stared at. And then say Justin Beiber started to wear so they are cool and desirable...

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 10:35 am
shyshira wrote:
I think we should ask mothers of boys who wear curly or long peyos if their boys are ever teased or stared at. And then say Justin Beiber started to wear so they are cool and desirable...

Ok. Let’s ask.

Doesn’t Justin Bieber have yud k vov k tattooed on his arm? I wasn’t offended by that.

Also, are black children made fun of for cornrows?

octopus

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 10:36 am
You cover your hair, right?
Only the people that are really close to you see your hair. So I wouldn't worry. Or are you worried about the theoretics?

ora_43

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 10:40 am
mommy3b2c wrote:

It's not that schools make regulations specifically for black children. But school policies like "only natural hair" can disproportionately affect black children (because traditional - and convenient - black hairstyles are more likely to use extensions). And policies like "no extreme hairstyles" can be unfairly enforced - eg a white girl with straight hair who grows her hair to the middle of her back has a conservative, natural hairstyle while a black girl who grows her hair into a large afro has an "extreme" hairstyle.

urban gypsy

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 10:46 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
Is it? I recently got them and someone that I showed them to told me that it is. And that it’s offensive. I’m keeping them anyway because I like them and I think I look cute. But I’m just curious to hear others opinions. Thanks.

Yes it is offensive for a white Jewish woman to have them.

https://www.mic.com/articles/1.....nrows

Do you cover your hair? If so, why are you asking?

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 10:47 am
octopus wrote:
You cover your hair, right?
Only the people that are really close to you see your hair. So I wouldn't worry. Or are you worried about the theoretics?

I’m not worried about anything. I was surprised when someone told me that, so I was curious to hear people’s opinions.

shyshira

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 10:54 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
I’m not worried about anything. I was surprised when someone told me that, so I was curious to hear people’s opinions.

Its been a debated topic ever since they became mainstream popular.

see: https://time.com/4011171/cornr.....heft/

Last edited by shyshira on Thu, Jun 20 2019, 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics