Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Cornrows- cultural appropriation?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 10:54 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
To my hair. So you consider it that, or “thats what it’s considered”?

Others find it offensive, I don’t but I’m not an AA. But if you cover your hair then it can’t see it having the opportunity to offend anyone since no one will see it

urban gypsy

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 10:57 am
pesek zman wrote:
Others find it offensive, I don’t but I’m not an AA.

Um yes, this is exactly the point.
Of course the person doing the offending is not going to feel offended.
That's why white people don't get to decide what is offensive to a black person.

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 11:06 am
urban gypsy wrote:
That's why white people don't get to decide what is offensive to a black person.

Why can't women decide that it's offensive for transvestites to impersonate women? It's the hypocrisy I find offensive.

All cultures were informed by other cultures except for maybe some indigenous isolated tribes, and even those didn't spontaneously spring up.

nchr

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 11:07 am
Not appropriate.

Last edited by nchr on Sat, Jan 02 2021, 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 11:08 am
The same argument has been made about dread locks on white people, even though that was the default hair style for everyone before the invention of the comb or scissors.

Bottom line, some will be offended, and others won't. If you can articulate your appreciation of the style, and your recognition of it's origins, most AA people will realize that you're not just trying to be edgy. Still, some people get offended regardless. You can't make everyone happy. There are white people with tight, curly hair, and AA styles are best suited to their hair texture. Does the color of your skin make that off limits?

Hair policing in academic, military, and institutional settings is definitely a huge problem for AA people, and white people with similar textures are not generally singled out for having "wild, kinky hair" in secular places. For an AA person to claim their traditional hair styles is a political statement, and very emotionally laden. This is something that a white person will never have to face.

Side story: I used to have large gauge earring holes, about the size of a pencil. I wore "tunnels" so you could see that the ear holes were stretched. I once had an AA man sitting behind me on the bus, and he leaned over and asked me "Do you know why you are wearing those earrings?" I told him "I once saw a film of Masai people, who said that these earrings 'let light into the body' and I thought that was a beautiful, spiritual concept." He really appreciated that I knew the origin of the practice, and gave me a big smile. I was not "stealing or copying African culture", I was admiring and celebrating it.

The earrings have long since come out, and the holes are shrunk back to normal size, but the lesson has stayed with me ever since.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 11:09 am
urban gypsy wrote:

So do black people get to decide what’s offensive to black people?

In other words, if some black people find it offensive than it automatically means it’s offensive?

Because black people cant think for themselves?

And if I decide it’s offensive for black women to wear wigs because it’s primarily Jewish women who wear wigs than it becomes offensive because I said so? And all jewish women need to be offended?

urban gypsy

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 11:11 am
Squishy wrote:
Why can't women decide that it's offensive for transvestites to impersonate women? It's the hypocrisy I find offensive.

Ok Squishy all offenses are equal and everything is exactly the same forever and ever. Did you attend the Straight Pride Parade and the white supremacy rally? How many posts between us till we can invoke Godwin's law?

Last edited by urban gypsy on Thu, Jun 20 2019, 11:32 am; edited 2 times in total

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 11:11 am
My sister learned from her Ethiopian friends.
I learned the details from my instructor from Trinidad and Tobagos. They all liked that white girls wanted it. My Sefardi neighbor just got a few of them on her right side above the ear. They link pretty and classy.

icebreaker

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 11:13 am
Not sure if it’s cultural appropriation but they look weird on white and Asian hair.

shyshira

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 11:16 am
mommy3b2c wrote:

In other words, if some black people find it offensive than it automatically means it’s offensive?

And if I decide it’s offensive for black women to wear wigs because it’s primarily Jewish women who wear wigs than it becomes offensive because I said so? And all jewish women need to be offended?

I don't think being offended is a decision that people make.

urban gypsy

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 11:17 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
And if I decide it’s offensive for black women to wear wigs because it’s primarily Jewish women who wear wigs than it becomes offensive because I said so?

More nonJewish people wear wigs than Jewish people.
We don't have the monopoly on wigs by a long shot.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 11:27 am
mommy3b2c wrote:

You're missing the historical baggage that comes with culture. AA and Native American people's have had their cultures systematically delegitimatized and erased by white people for centuries. Only recently have they felt in the position to reclaim and enjoy their history and their ancestors. To see their historical oppressors (not you specifically) take on their traditions so casually can be upsetting, especially if they think it's being taken out of context.

BTW, Japanese culture has a very long tradition of wig wearing, and still does. Its' just subtle. There are some Japanese people who think that wearing the kimono as a pretty jacket or beach cover up is offensive, and some who love that the style is being appreciated and saved from extinction. They see modern Japan want to disassociate from the kimono, and view the West as a way of saving it.

Nothing cultural can be viewed through the lens of just "today". Everything has a history, and a bit of research can make you not only appreciate things more and make you more educated, it can help ward off a lot of offense.

Like I said before, you'll never please everybody. Some people's history and trauma are too recent or too deep. Others are more open to sharing their culture. Keep an open mind, and listen to others. You don't have to agree with them, but if they are taking the time to explain things to you, it could be very enlightening. Who knows, you might even make a new friend!

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 11:47 am
urban gypsy wrote:
Ok Squishy all offenses are equal and everything is exactly the same forever and ever. Did you attend the Straight Pride Parade and the white supremacy rally? How many posts between us till we can invoke Godwin's law?

You can invoke it now for all care. You are a control freak liberal. Now it's your turn. I really despise mind control games you people play.

It's the hypocrisy that gets me. I love celebrating rich and varied cultures. If you knew studies of these transvestites and gay guys, you would know the source of their exaggerated feminine gestures. And it's not because they admire women. I don't want men in ladies bathrooms nor housed in female prisons.

I see you took out your insult that transvestites look better than me. So in your liberal arrogance you can make fun of someone's looks. Nice. Really, nice.

BTW, how dare you appropriate gypsy culture in your SN?

I will continue to cook in my tangine and wok and make soul food when the mood hits me. I will wear my alpaca from Peru, my Indian beads from the reservation, my emerald from Columbian, and my cable knit sweater from Ireland.

And if I looked as cute as mommy2b2c, I would get cornrows also.

urban gypsy

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 11:51 am
Squishy wrote:
I will continue to cook in my tangine and wok and make soul food when the mood hits me. I will wear my alpaca from Peru, my Indian beads from the reservation, my emerald from Columbian, and my cable knit sweater from Ireland.

I'm picturing you doing all this at the same time, and you know what, I can't even be mad at you anymore. You are further reinforcing my argument that to you, everything is equal. Cooking in a wok and wearing a cable knit sweater is exactly the same as wearing cornrows and being a transvestite. Bless your heart.

Last edited by urban gypsy on Thu, Jun 20 2019, 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Israeli_C

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 12:02 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFGwmUCH9aI Basically sums it up

shyshira

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 12:13 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Ok. Let’s ask.

Doesn’t Justin Bieber have yud k vov k tattooed on his arm? I wasn’t offended by that.

Also, are black children made fun of for cornrows?

People cross the street when they see black teenagers walking around with cornrows.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 12:14 pm
shyshira wrote:
People cross the street when they see black teenagers walking around with cornrows.

As offensive as that might be (and that is offensive!!!) it has nothing to do with the cornrows.

urban gypsy

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 12:17 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
As offensive as that might be (and that is offensive!!!) it has nothing to do with the cornrows.

I was just about to say, "Cue white people saying that's not true" and you were faster wow

People who would cross the street when they see black teens wearing cornrows would not do the same if those same black teens were wearing clean-cut or flat ironed styles.

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 12:27 pm
urban gypsy wrote:
I'm picturing you doing all this at the same time, and you know what, I can't even be mad at you anymore. You are further reinforcing my argument that to you, everything is equal. Cooking in a wok and wearing a cable knit sweater is exactly the same as wearing cornrows and being a transvestite. Bless your heart.

What is it with you people twisting things up? You need to prove you are woke? I don't think everything is equal. I think applying rules unequally is hypocrisy. It's hypocrisy to have men competing in women's sports by deciding they identity as women. It's hypocrisy denying jews and asians places based on the fact they are Jews and Asians but claiming you are race and color blind.

Please address what right you have to call yourself a gypsy? You do know that some find that word offensive?

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 12:28 pm
urban gypsy wrote:
I was just about to say, "Cue white people saying that's not true" and you were faster wow

People who would cross the street when they see black teens wearing cornrows would not do the same if those same black teens were wearing clean-cut or flat ironed styles.

Seriously?? There are people that are racist only against blacks with cornrows?
Nope. If you are are racist, you are racist. Nothing to do with the hair style.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics