Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Prince of Egypt
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 9:47 am
Would you let your kid watch the animated Prince of Egypt?

trixx

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 9:51 am
No. This is my huge pet peeve. I would rather them watch straight up Cinderella than a Tanach story that's completely butchered. I have strong feelings about this from a chinuch perspective and how absorbent young minds are and how strong impressions visuals make.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 9:58 am
Agreed. Beautiful, incredible movie with an award winning score, but I'm glad I saw it as a young adult when I already knew Tanach so well that I did not develop the wrong impressions. An example would be that Aaron is portrayed in the movie as jealous and doubtful of Moshe, when in reality that is the exact opposite.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 10:37 am
Sure. My daughter has watched it numerous times. She knows its a movie and that in movies sometimes they take liberties and change things. We arent using it as a teaching method.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 11:00 am
I watched The Prince Of Egypt as a 9 year old Catholic schoolgirl.

And the rest, folks, is history!

Anon cos I tell people how this movie changed my life all the time. That said, I wouldn't let my kids watch it. It did the job for me, but there are a lot of inaccuracies. And if Zipporah really would have dressed like that, she would have gotten stoned lol.

cozyblanket

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 11:04 am
amother [ Purple ] wrote:

Anon cos I tell people how this movie changed my life all the time. That said, I wouldn't let my kids watch it. It did the job for me, but there are a lot of inaccuracies. And if Zipporah really would have dressed like that, she would have gotten stoned lol.

Right. Tzipporah's dress is a big problem in the movie. I wouldn't let kids watch it.

trixx

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 11:22 am
amother [ Purple ] wrote:

To borrow a chassidic saying
You were on the outside looking in - so it worked.
The problem is when you are in the inside, looking out.

sequoia

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 11:34 am
cozyblanket wrote:
Right. Tzipporah's dress is a big problem in the movie. I wouldn't let kids watch it.

It’s a cartoon...

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 11:44 am
cozyblanket wrote:

Oh,. c'mon. She's not bad. She's just drawn that way.

cozyblanket

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 11:59 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Oh,. c'mon. She's not bad. She's just drawn that way.

Ha? You could say that about any of the problems. Young kids will take it to heart. It doesn't matter if it's a cartoon or real life.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 12:11 pm
DD watched it when she was little, and it really confused her. They throw in some random midrashim, and she didn't understand the context. It was hard for me to try and explain it to her.

I'd definitely rather her watch a whole fairy tale, then a half-truth Torah story. Half-truths are far more damaging IMHO, especially if your child takes things very literally.

urban gypsy

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 12:13 pm
Wow we LOVE this movie in our house, I guess I missed the objectionable half truths everyone is referring to. I watch the original 10 Commandments with my kids too (skipping the orgy scene lol) and we all love it

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 12:13 pm
cozyblanket wrote:
Ha? You could say that about any of the problems. Young kids will take it to heart. It doesn't matter if it's a cartoon or real life.
Im sorry, I never understand this. I watched disney movies as I grew up. I never took how any of those princesses looked to heart. They were cartoons, not real ladies.

BrachaBatya

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 12:18 pm
Yes, not an issue for me.

trixx

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 12:38 pm
cozyblanket wrote:

Yes. Child development before age 6 cannot distinguish between reality and fantasy. If your kid was 10 and you can have a discussion, that's very different from showing to a 3y old.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 12:39 pm
cozyblanket wrote:

Someone's never seen Roger Rabbit.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 12:44 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

Most disgusting movie ever produced, created by the paedophiles of Hollywood to promote all sorts of immoral agendas, through the subconscious mind programming that movies epitomize.

Of course young children are programmed by what they see on screens. Multiple studies from secular researchers if you really need the scientific evidence.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 12:44 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
again, nope. I remember finding that movie weird because it was half cartoon and half real people. It never crossed my mind to take to heart what she looked like. Again, we knew it was a cartoon, not what real people looked like. Why does everything have to have issues?

urban gypsy

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 12:49 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Most disgusting movie ever produced, created by the paedophiles of Hollywood to promote all sorts of immoral agendas, through the subconscious mind programming that movies epitomize.

Surely not the most disgusting movie ever produced, not by a long shot LOL
And just because it's a cartoon doesn't mean it's for children TRUST ME
Plus it paved the way for such pinnacles of cultural achievement like Space Jam so how could it be all that bad?

Last edited by urban gypsy on Thu, Jun 20 2019, 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 12:49 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
again, nope. I remember finding that movie weird because it was half cartoon and half real people. It never crossed my mind to take to heart what she looked like. Again, we knew it was a cartoon, not what real people looked like. Why does everything have to have issues?

Its a famous quote from Roger Rabbit. "I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."

Cultural literacy, folks.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics