Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Prince of Egypt
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 3:52 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Most disgusting movie ever produced, created by the paedophiles of Hollywood to promote all sorts of immoral agendas, through the subconscious mind programming that movies epitomize.

Of course young children are programmed by what they see on screens. Multiple studies from secular researchers if you really need the scientific evidence.

Its not a kids movie.

Hint. Don't show your kids Fritz the Cat either. Or South Park.

Rappel

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 3:54 pm
trixx wrote:
Yes. Child development before age 6 cannot distinguish between reality and fantasy. If your kid was 10 and you can have a discussion, that's very different from showing to a 3y old.

Only age 6? I would have thought higher!

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 3:58 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Its not a kids movie.

Hint. Don't show your kids Fritz the Cat either. Or South Park.

I have no idea how old you are, but I was a child in the eighties, and all of us BY and yeshiva educated kids went to the theatre and saw that film, which was HEAVILY marketed to children. Along with all the Spielberg films, there are completely unnecessary, thinly veiled hints to extreme s*xual immorality in that movie, aimed at KIDS. Of course it's not a "kids movie" - it's not a movie for any moral person. It go ahead and let Hollywood brainwash your kids with "Torah" movies or Roger Rabbit or whatever, peace, I'm outta here...

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 4:09 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
I have no idea how old you are, but I was a child in the eighties, and all of us BY and yeshiva educated kids went to the theatre and saw that film, which was HEAVILY marketed to children. Along with all the Spielberg films, there are completely unnecessary, thinly veiled hints to extreme s*xual immorality in that movie, aimed at KIDS. Of course it's not a "kids movie" - it's not a movie for any moral person. It go ahead and let Hollywood brainwash your kids with "Torah" movies or Roger Rabbit or whatever, peace, I'm outta here...

I don't know how old you are, but in the 80s, every adult with 2 brain cells to rub together knew what the movie was about, and they weren't taking their young kids to see it. I guess the current comparison would be Deadpool. Its well known and publicized that it wasn't for kids. But some people still took their kids, and complained.

As to it not being a movie for any moral person, well, then, I guess I'm immoral. It was a fun movie. Bob Hoskins was amazing in it.

Not your cuppa? Don't watch it. But this false morality and attack on other without having the kahunas to post under your own fake name? Well, that's immoral in my book.

cozyblanket

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 5:02 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Its a famous quote from Roger Rabbit. "I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way."

Cultural literacy, folks.

That's funny. It was so long since I saw that movie that I forgot about it! Thank you for the reference. For better or for worse, it's coming back to me.

But OP asked if I would show The Prince of Egypt to my kids. My answer is no, I wouldn't. My parents bought the Prince of Egypt haggadah, though, and I remember that it had a lot if nice things in it! But that is totally different from watching the movie.

singleagain

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 5:21 pm
urban gypsy wrote:
Surely not the most disgusting movie ever produced, not by a long shot LOL
And just because it's a cartoon doesn't mean it's for children TRUST ME
Plus it paved the way for such pinnacles of cultural achievement like Space Jam so how could it be all that bad?

OMG I love space jam!

And prince of Egypt.

I would totally show the movie to my kids.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 6:03 pm
cozyblanket wrote:
That's funny. It was so long since I saw that movie that I forgot about it! Thank you for the reference. For better or for worse, it's coming back to me.

But OP asked if I would show The Prince of Egypt to my kids. My answer is no, I wouldn't. My parents bought the Prince of Egypt haggadah, though, and I remember that it had a lot if nice things in it! But that is totally different from watching the movie.

And I'm going to 'fess up that I've never seen Prince of Egypt, so I've no clear opinion on it. I entered this thread to make what I thought was a joke. Famous last words ....

trixx

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 6:06 pm
Rappel wrote:
Only age 6? I would have thought higher!

Montessori puts fantasy in her second plane of development, or age 6-12, though other scientists or theorists (she was a scientist) might set it a little higher but def not before 6.

imorethanamother

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 7:12 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
And I'm going to 'fess up that I've never seen Prince of Egypt, so I've no clear opinion on it. I entered this thread to make what I thought was a joke. Famous last words ....

I liked your post immediately because I got the joke. Look at me! Exposed to allllll the horrible, mind altering movies that would surely get me off the derech! Somehow, I survived.

I make it a point to watch Prince of Egypt with my kids. An amazingly constructed movie, and kids are really visual. Until that movie there were badly drawn art scroll books that didn’t really make sense or make it come alive.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 7:23 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Im sorry, I never understand this. I watched disney movies as I grew up. I never took how any of those princesses looked to heart. They were cartoons, not real ladies.

But did you need 'deprogramming' later in life to understand that getting married to a prince charming and living happily ever after isn't 'our way'?

Why are 4 year old girls living outside of shelterville obsessed with disney princesses?

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 7:58 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
I liked your post immediately because I got the joke. Look at me! Exposed to allllll the horrible, mind altering movies that would surely get me off the derech! Somehow, I survived.

I make it a point to watch Prince of Egypt with my kids. An amazingly constructed movie, and kids are really visual. Until that movie there were badly drawn art scroll books that didn’t really make sense or make it come alive.

The Prince of Egypt movie really enhanced my children’s Pesach and made what they learned in school come alive for them. We skipped the scary parts.

Israeli_C

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 10:52 pm
I'd totally play the soundtrack for my kids. Love Ofra Haza

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jun 20 2019, 11:19 pm
No, to me anything that is Torah should be given over to children only from a perspective that is completely in line with our own sources.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 1:53 am
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
But did you need 'deprogramming' later in life to understand that getting married to a prince charming and living happily ever after isn't 'our way'?

Why are 4 year old girls living outside of shelterville obsessed with disney princesses?
No, I did not need any such programming. Im not sure how many times I can say the same thing. We knew it was a cartoon. We knew it was nothing like real life.

imasoftov

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 8:42 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Most disgusting movie ever produced, created by the paedophiles of Hollywood to promote all sorts of immoral agendas, through the subconscious mind programming that movies epitomize..

I'm curious how many Hollywood films you've seen. Also it's been a while since it came out in 1988, I think I saw it once since then but not recently, so could you remind me of which particular immoral agendas it promoted, which my conscious mind has either forgotten or repressed?

urban gypsy

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 9:24 am
Did any of you watch those old cartoons about Bible Stories from Hanna Barbera in the 80's?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....Bible
I was OBSESSED with them as a child and my kids love them too
Any thoughts?

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 11:38 am
My family doesn't watch movies as part of our Hashkafa, so no. I also agree with trixx's first post in this thread.

But I love the music for Miracles song - printed the score for my girls. Though there is one line in the song that I pointed out to my kids is, IMVHO, apikorsus. When we pray to Hashem, we don't need proof anyone can hear - we can just look at creation, it's proof enough that He is there.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 11:41 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:

The 80s? I'm googling it and I'm coming up with late 90s.

sushilover

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 11:50 am
I wouldn't allow young children to watch it as they should get their biblical knowledge from the Torah and not from Hollywood.

It is the most underrated masterpiece I can think of, and the soundtrack is just.. breathtaking. I don't have teens yet, but I can imagine watching it together with older teens and having a great discussion.

Last edited by sushilover on Fri, Jun 21 2019, 11:57 am; edited 3 times in total

urban gypsy

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 11:52 am
Can someone please indulge me and explain what is so problematic about this version? Any key parts that problematically deviate from the Torah version? The only part I can really remember is the courtship with Tzipora which is so so minor in the overall story to my mind...
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics