Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
OOT mothers How do you pack dd camp stuff
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 1:06 am
yerushamama wrote:
Try packing bulky items like pillows and quilts in vacuum bags.

How does that work for the return trip?

yerushamama

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 3:51 am
Simply squeezing out as much of the air as possible will still make the items much smaller. They may need an extra pair of hands, but I am sure that a bunkmate or counselor would be happy to help.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 4:21 am
If you have friends or family members in the New York area who are going up by bus, ask them to lend your child sheets and towels and bring them to and from camp. That's what we did.

If money is not an issue, you can ship bulky items directly to camp, and have your daughter give them away at the end of the summer. Some camps actually take up collections at the end of the summer and kids donate things that they no longer wear.

ETA, my kids always had extra room in their bags on the way home because they lost so much stuff.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 5:34 am
Duffle bags weigh less than suitcases so you can pack more stuff.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 6:13 am
OOT doesn't have special bags

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 7:07 am
Ruchel wrote:
OOT doesn't have special bags

They also don't have a bus directly from their town to camp, or a luggage service that picks up suitcases and brings them to camp.

So the kids need to travel with their own luggage, which can be complicated when you need a month's worth of clothing plus linens.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 8:26 am
Rutabaga wrote:
How does that work for the return trip?

There are squeeze out air bags too.
But don't leave blankets and pillows in vacuum bags or squeeze out bags for more than a day or two. Or you'll end up with perpetually limp items.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 9:13 am
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
They also don't have a bus directly from their town to camp, or a luggage service that picks up suitcases and brings them to camp.

So the kids need to travel with their own luggage, which can be complicated when you need a month's worth of clothing plus linens.

Luggage service? LOL.
Yes of course kids travel with their luggage.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 9:20 am
Ruchel wrote:
Luggage service? LOL.

Im guessing that this mother is asking because her dd is flying to camp. If she is flying than she is only allowed to bring 1 suitcase. An extra suitcase can cost up to $100 more. If I recall, you don't live in the U.S so you wouldn't understand the logistics of the question.

I find that duffel bags are the best because they are lighter than suitcases and can fit more stuff (some suitcases can weigh a lot! I weighed one empty and it was 10 pounds!)

A good rolling carryone and a backpack as a personal item.

You can squeeze the quilt and pillow cases by rolling them into a cylinder. (Google it).

Try to evaluate each item and bring the lighter items.

Good luck!

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 11:50 am
Ruchel wrote:
Luggage service? LOL.

But not necessarily in the New York area. There, camps hire trucking companies to pick up luggage from the kids' houses and bring them to camp. The kids travel separately, on busses that don't have enough storage room for everyone to bring two large duffel bags.

Just because you do things differently doesn't make this laughable. The op is dealing with a specific situation. If you're not familiar with it, that's fine. But why make fun?

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 7:38 am
Sorry my limousine will come pick you up

chanieb324

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 9:48 am
A little off topic - but does my DD need to bring a negel vaser cup with her or do camps provide that?

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 10:39 am
Ruchel wrote:
Luggage service? LOL.

No, no luggage for kids. They strip down nekkid as soon as they get to camp, and run around that way for the 4 to 7 weeks they're there. No sheets, blankets, towels, soap or shampoo, either.

Can't Believe It

I get it. Kids on France don't do camp. But why do you feel the need to make fun of others.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 10:43 am
chanieb324 wrote:
A little off topic - but does my DD need to bring a negel vaser cup with her or do camps provide that?

I believe the camps may have cups by the bathroom sinks. You can send a miniature set for near her bed if she needs it. There are small ones available and you can sandwich it between her blanket when packing.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 12:10 pm
What about chairs. I heard everyone Is bringing folding chairs. How do you bring it from OOT. Does dd really need it?

Raisin

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 12:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What about chairs. I heard everyone Is bringing folding chairs. How do you bring it from OOT. Does dd really need it?

What camp is your dd going to? Are all the other kids local or do a lot come from OOT?

If it is very important ordering one from amazon and leaving it behind (or giving it to a friend) may make more sense then paying excess luggage charges.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 12:59 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
No, no luggage for kids. They strip down nekkid as soon as they get to camp, and run around that way for the 4 to 7 weeks they're there. No sheets, blankets, towels, soap or shampoo, either.

Can't Believe It

I get it. Kids on France don't do camp. But why do you feel the need to make fun of others.

I'm pretty sure there are overnight camps in France but probably Ruchel doesn't send her kids.

The camp my dd is going to (not in France) has kids from France.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 1:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I'd ask the camp if you can Amazon one to her. Otherwise, (1) see if someone who lives closer can bring one for her, and you'll pay for it; (2) they'll go to Walmart sooner or later; she can pick one up for herself then if she wants it.

And ... it depends on the camp and the kid. My boys never really cared, even though most kids had them; my girls really wanted them.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 1:18 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
I'd ask the camp if you can Amazon one to her. Otherwise, (1) see if someone who lives closer can bring one for her, and you'll pay for it; (2) they'll go to Walmart sooner or later; she can pick one up for herself then if she wants it.

And ... it depends on the camp and the kid. My boys never really cared, even though most kids had them; my girls really wanted them.

This. You can get one for under $10 at Walmart. It's not a huge deal to get one and leave it behind.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 2:44 pm
What about camp kolos and tehila? Do they really need the chairs?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics