Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Sukkah awning without poles and strings

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 12:56 pm
I have been try to find this with no luck. I'm hoping someone here has come across an idea that I haven't.

I would like to install an awning over my deck (tri state area), but no one seems to make regular retractable awnings anymore.

So far in my research, I have only found the one with poles and strings (which I really dont like the look, and I see that after some time gets bunched up), or types that are not made for rain (they only provide shade from the sun)

Does anyone know of anything else available?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 12:58 pm
http://tristateawnings.com/awning-products/

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 1:26 pm
Wow. Consider the difference between amother OP and me. I'm asking questions about how to cover/clean counters when baking challah, and it's Friday. Amother OP is asking questions about a Sukkah in June.

I need to become like amother OP.

(I am sorry, amother OP; I know nothing about awnings over decks. But I am really impressed! Good luck!)

aricelli

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 1:30 pm
ra_mom wrote:

Got a beautiful awning from them. Also got roll up walls. Has poles and many strings though! Also- make sure you double check that the receipt is written correctly and that theres a way to make sure you get it at the date requested. I guess that goes for any company though I did have my exoerience. You can om me for more info

aricelli

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 1:32 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Wow. Consider the difference between amother OP and me. I'm asking questions about how to cover/clean counters when baking challah, and it's Friday. Amother OP is asking questions about a Sukkah in June.

(I am sorry, amother OP; I know nothing about awnings over decks. But I am really impressed! Good luck!)

She’s right! I ordered it closer to succos (not even that close) and it came two hours prior- we had to send them away

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 1:42 pm
aricelli wrote:
Got a beautiful awning from them. Also got roll up walls. Has poles and many strings though! Also- make sure you double check that the receipt is written correctly and that theres a way to make sure you get it at the date requested. I guess that goes for any company though I did have my exoerience. You can om me for more info

We really wanted that so that we wouldn't have to build a sukkah anymore and just roll down the walls, but for the size space we have, the price they quoted was almost $10k including the awning and sukkah (most of that quote was for the sukkah).

aricelli

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 2:09 pm
ra_mom wrote:
We really wanted that so that we wouldn't have to build a sukkah anymore and just roll down the walls, but for the size space we have, the price they quoted was almost $10k including the awning and sukkah (most of that quote was for the sukkah).

I heard that theres another (nonjewish) company who does the same thing for a better price but I dont have their info. We did it for outside privacy in the summer as well as for succos. We enjoyed a milchig shevuos kiddush out on the porch this year!

aricelli

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 2:18 pm
Did you look into sunsetter? We used to have their motorized awning which you could also use manually. It didnt have strings and We were happy with it though it was a bit tough to use without the remote.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 3:05 pm
aricelli wrote:
I heard that theres another (nonjewish) company who does the same thing for a better price but I dont have their info. We did it for outside privacy in the summer as well as for succos. We enjoyed a milchig shevuos kiddush out on the porch this year!

http://sukkahawningsbydean.com/gallery/
Now that I looked back at my history, I see that Dean's place was the one who quoted us $10k. Wow, I guess Tri State is even more expensive.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 3:48 pm
ra_mom wrote:

Thanks! They do not currently sell one without poles and strings.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 3:50 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:

Lol! We are actually a year late!! Wanted one for last sukkos, but then couldn't find one that would work for us.

We want to make sure it will really be in by sukkos so I figured it's time to do some research. Also, if we can get it in earlier, we may as well enjoy the shade over the summer.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 3:53 pm
aricelli wrote:

You have the one from tristate? If you come across the info of the other company, can you please post it here?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 3:53 pm
aricelli wrote:
Did you look into sunsetter? We used to have their motorized awning which you could also use manually. It didnt have strings and We were happy with it though it was a bit tough to use without the remote.

Thanks! They say it is not designed for rain, only sun....

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 3:55 pm
ra_mom wrote:
http://sukkahawningsbydean.com/gallery/
Now that I looked back at my history, I see that Dean's place was the one who quoted us $10k. Wow, I guess Tri State is even more expensive.

Looks like it is also only poles and strings....

Could be that I am looking for something that doesn't exist, but I figured someone here may know of something.....

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 4:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Looks like it is also only poles and strings....

Could be that I am looking for something that doesn't exist, but I figured someone here may know of something.....

The ones without poles are permanent and not retractable, so they can be made with heavy weight material and secured properly.
The poles are what keep a soft lightweight retractable awning secure.
Maybe look for someone who can make you a permanent heavyweight awning that just has the center cut out for a retractable middle for the sukkah.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 4:18 pm
ra_mom wrote:
The ones without poles are permanent and not retractable, so they can be made with heavy weight material and secured properly.
The poles are what keep a soft lightweight retractable awning secure.
Maybe look for someone who can make you a permanent heavyweight awning that just has the center cut out for a retractable middle for the sukkah.

Good idea! Thanks! Will look into it.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 5:53 pm
I got one from Platinum Awnings in Lakewood. If you google them I think you can see pics. It’s motorized and manual, good for sun and rain.

Instagram: platinum_awnings

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 6:12 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
I got one from Platinum Awnings in Lakewood. If you google them I think you can see pics. It’s motorized and manual, good for sun and rain.

Instagram: platinum_awnings

A neighbor of mine has this. For some reason it looks flimsy. How long do you have yours? Does it hold up well? Do you use it for a sukkah? I think they are the only heimish company that offers this. I would love to hear from you and others who have this. Thanks!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 7:15 pm
[sub]So I have it for three years but we have it for our summer home so its not used that often. We've used it for sukkot. We're in a windy spot so it will close automatically to prevent damage which can be annoying cause if its rainy and windy it will close which defeats the purpose.

It has I think a 10 year warranty.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note