Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Baking challah: with what do you cover your counters?
1  2  3  Next

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 1:02 pm
When you roll your challah dough out, what do you cover your counters/table with so you don't have a sticky mess to clean up after? The same question applies to pie dough. But le probleme du jour is my challah dough.

Thank you!

groovy1224

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 1:04 pm
I don't, I just flour well and use a plastic pan scraper to clean up afterwards.

They do make large silicone mats you can use to roll dough out on though, if you prefer to cover your countertop.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 1:23 pm
I normally just clean up the mess. But my kid, with too much time now that school is over, has been hanging out at friends' houses, and tells me that other mothers don't have the huge major job that I have cleaning up after baking. Mind you, no offers to help clean up, just an observation of how other mothers do it better.

So I am here to find out how other mothers do it better. Any ideas?

chicco

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 1:29 pm
Try parchment paper

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 1:31 pm
Ask your kid what the other mom did

watergirl

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 1:31 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
I don't, I just flour well and use a plastic pan scraper to clean up afterwards.

They do make large silicone mats you can use to roll dough out on though, if you prefer to cover your countertop.

I have the large mat. Such a michaya!! $15 from Amazon.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 1:39 pm
I've tried parchment paper for rolling out pie dough with mixed success. My mother used to use wax paper but I can't get the hang of it. I think I'll try the silicone mats. Thank you!

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 2:04 pm
The housewares stores sell thick plastic tablecloths on the yard. I use that for baking.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 2:44 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
The housewares stores sell thick plastic tablecloths on the yard. I use that for baking.

That was my mother's other trick, besides wax paper! But I remember that cleaning those tablecloths was more work than cleaning the counters.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 2:59 pm
My dough's not that sticky. I divide it into balls and shape them on a cutting board and put them in pans. If I had that kind of sticky dough, and/or was giving it to kids who might need more flour, I'd use a disposable tablecloth.

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 2:59 pm
Why is cleaning the plastic more work than the counter? It's plastic so nothing sticks to it. I spray it with mr clean and wipe it down.
I tried wax paper but the dough was sticking to it.

giselle

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 3:02 pm
You spray it and then put food directly on it? That doesn’t sound so safe.

I use Saran Wrap.

I like the idea of a mat. Maybe I’ll buy one.

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 3:03 pm
Why would you think I spary it and put food on it??
I spray it to clean it. I obviously wipe it down.

giselle

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 3:05 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Why would you think I spary it and put food on it??
I spray it to clean it. I obviously wipe it down.

Wiping it down still leaves the residue from the toxic spray.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 3:27 pm
giselle wrote:
Wiping it down still leaves the residue from the toxic spray.

Yes, exactly. So actually I mostly roll dough on my glass table, and it would be reasonably easy to clean with Windex. But I won't put Windex on it, because then I'll roll dough on it again or put an apple on the table. So then I'm stuck cleaning the table with water and it takes forever.

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 3:29 pm
Giselle, you really think I don't have common sense? I wash it well enough it doesn't leave residue.
How to you clean your counters, table, sink and everything else that comes in contact with food??

momsrus

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 3:31 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Giselle, you really think I don't have common sense? I wash it well enough it doesn't leave residue.
How to you clean your counters, table, sink and everything else that comes in contact with food??

Exactly! you rinse with water after.

There are plenty of sprays that are food safe that you don't need to wash with water after

giselle

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 3:33 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:

I don’t put food straight on the table.. or counters...

giselle

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 3:33 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:

Why are you anon anyway

Amarante

Post Fri, Jun 21 2019, 3:36 pm
Directly on the counter - one of the great parts of having a smooth surface.

I don't see cleaning the counter as a big deal. I normally wipe down the counters after baking or prepping anything anyway so I am not understanding why one would want to add a protection on a counter. I do have silicone sheets and parchment paper but didn't actually find that easier to use than just the counter and I have to wipe off the silicone anyway as well as the counter it was lying on so that's double work :-).
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note