Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving to monsey
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jun 22 2019, 11:00 pm
anyone live in monsey and can tell me where young, frum couples live? not yeshivish just middle of the road frum. and anything else to consider before thinking about moving here

amother
Cobalt

Post Sat, Jun 22 2019, 11:05 pm
The number one thing to think about is getting into schools.

amother
Coral

Post Sat, Jun 22 2019, 11:26 pm
Wesley Hills, Pomona, parts of New City are the best options for non chassidish, non Yeshivish

Schools can be tough if you're trying for the more right wing ones but schools like Ateres, Ashar or Eitz Chaim/Bnos Bracha, etc... aren't going nit pick what type of head covering you wear and what color your husband's shirt is so it shouldn't be a problem.

amother
Navy

Post Sat, Jun 22 2019, 11:37 pm
Middle of the road would be Scotland Hill in Chestnut Ridge

amother
Blue

Post Sat, Jun 22 2019, 11:43 pm
Monsey is expensive to live!
Schooling is hard to get into!
Nothing is convenient

amother
Cobalt

Post Sat, Jun 22 2019, 11:45 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Wesley Hills, Pomona, parts of New City are the best options for non chassidish, non Yeshivish

Schools can be tough if you're trying for the more right wing ones but schools like Ateres, Ashar or Eitz Chaim/Bnos Bracha, etc... aren't going nit pick what type of head covering you wear and what color your husband's shirt is so it shouldn't be a problem.

I agree those schools are easier to get in. Because they are easier to get into, they also accept students that can't get into more restrictive schools because of other issues besides head coverings and colored shirts.

Some of those kids are problem kids who are one step away from public school. Some of those kids are great kids whose only "sin" is having a mom who wears pants.

The school situation in Monsey is complicated.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 12:05 am
New city (Buena Vista area), new Hempstead, haverstraw( new area,) Wesley hills, parts of Pomona.

You should probably look into schools before you move.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 12:05 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
I agree those schools are easier to get in. Because they are easier to get into, they also accept students that can't get into more restrictive schools because of other issues besides head coverings and colored shirts.

Some of those kids are problem kids who are one step away from public school. Some of those kids are great kids whose only "sin" is having a mom who wears pants.

The school situation in Monsey is complicated.

Wow! Judgy much! That's a terrible thing to say. You're saying that my entire neighborhood is full of "problem kids" Seriously? Yes, many of us don't wear stockings (as per our Rav's psak it is not required), wear falls, husbands are clean shaven, we watch movies etc..
Most wouldn't get into the more right wing schools but we wouldn't want to either! Our kids aren't "one step away from public school" LOL

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 12:12 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Wow! Judgy much! That's a terrible thing to say. You're saying that my entire neighborhood is full of "problem kids" Seriously? Yes, many of us don't wear stockings (as per our Rav's psak it is not required), wear falls, husbands are clean shaven, we watch movies etc..
Most wouldn't get into the more right wing schools but we wouldn't want to either! Our kids aren't "one step away from public school" LOL

Do you always have reading comprehension problems? Where did I say your entire neighborhood is full of problem kids?

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 1:13 am
they also accept students that can't get into more restrictive schools because of other issues

Some of those kids are problem kids who are one step away from public school.

Please explain this 2 lines. I also have a issue with reading comprehension.

This schools accept more of a variety of kids because they have more Ahavas Yisroel. BTW many kids in the right wing schools are problem kids who are one step away from public school.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 6:50 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
Please explain this 2 lines. I also have a issue with reading comprehension.

This schools accept more of a variety of kids because they have more Ahavas Yisroel. BTW many kids in the right wing schools are problem kids who are one step away from public school.

Your reading comprehension seems fine.

For whatever reason those schools accept more of a variety of kids, they are accepting RW kids who are not accepted at the more restrictive schools. These kids wouldn't go to these schools unless the doors were closed to the others. It is often because of the kids' behavior problems rather than head coverings or colored shirts.

When someone is going down in their yiddishkeit in Monsey, it is often because there are big problems at home, and they are not a stable family.

In a different community, these schools wouldn't be last resort schools.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 9:15 am

What do you mean by this?
How does it work in a different community?

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 9:28 am
How do you define "one step away from public school"? Are you confusing a publicly funded, secular education with your view of schools serving a socioeconomic group that you don't want to belong to?

(I know nothing about Monsey, otherwise. Years ago, I sometimes visited there, and was impressed by how pretty it was.)

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 9:31 am
It can be very very important to some people to convince themselves and others of the inferiority of the schools they aren't sending to.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 9:34 am
Back to public school: As it happens, and by our choice, our kids go to Jewish day schools. But many public schools around the OOT area where I live are stellar and give an education far superior to the Jewish day schools. Parents start sending their kids to boot camps and tutors from the time they're six, so that when they're nine or ten they'll test well and get into the top public middle schools. Then the tutoring and testing become much more intense, because they've got to test into good public high schools. Or, they buy houses in very expensive neighborhoods so that they'll be zoned into a top public school. If you carefully choose where to buy a house, the available public schools are great.

Again, nothing to do with Monsey, just a comment on "one step away from public school."

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 9:37 am
Your reading comprehension seems fine.

For whatever reason those schools accept more of a variety of kids, they are accepting RW kids who are not accepted at the more restrictive schools. These kids wouldn't go to these schools unless the doors were closed to the others. It is often because of the kids' behavior problems rather than head coverings or colored shirts.

When someone is going down in their yiddishkeit in Monsey,
it is often because there are big problems at home, and they are not a stable family.

Your problem seems to be that you view anyone who would send to these schools as "lesser" in their yiddishkeit. You are not realizing that most are people who are following a perfectly valid derech, albeit probably different than yours. Not "going downhill" in our observance. Some of us have roots in Monsey that go back a few generations before the community skewed Chassidic with the influx from the city. And others moved here to join the thriving JPF community here.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 9:40 am
Why was I hugged? I'm asking seriously.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 9:52 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
What do you mean by this?
How does it work in a different community?

I am assuming in a MO community, no one is settling when they send to more modern schools. They want better secular education or more sports or whatever.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 10:00 am
I am assuming in a MO community, no one is settling when they send to more modern schools. They want better secular education or more sports or whatever.

First of all 2 out of the 3 schools I mentioned are not MO schools but JPF.

Secondly, you fail to realize that Monsey is not one community but a conglomeration of different communities. There is a thriving JPF community here in the Wesley Hills/Pomona area that has absolutely zero to do with the right wing "shtetl" area of Monsey. We aren't running away from it. We just aren't the same community at all. I have ho problem with it though it's easy to get the feeling (especially from your posts) that we're looked down upon by many members of it...

I also failed to mention sone other schools. There's the new prospect park girls school and of course Ohr Reuven for boys (though they might be considered "left wing Yeshivish")
YSV also has plenty of JPF families but the are very wary not to accept families that are running away from something else. But if your JPF family has a history of going there and wants to send kids there you have no problem getting them in. Probably won't help a newcomer because they are filled with siblings and alumni kids.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 10:09 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
How do you define "one step away from public school"? Are you confusing a publicly funded, secular education with your view of schools serving a socioeconomic group that you don't want to belong to?

(I know nothing about Monsey, otherwise. Years ago, I sometimes visited there, and was impressed by how pretty it was.)

The posters answering this thread are typically assuming things that aren't true. I respect MO people. I don't have a problem sending to an MO school that isn't a catch basin. The dynamics of Monsey are different than other nearby places like Teaneck.

Besides serving more modern people, the schools serve a population that don't fit in the more RW schools for a variety of reasons.

Many troubled kids often cycle through the schools. When the more RW schools ask the kids to leave, this is where they end up before public schools.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating