Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
If ur kids r conversational in hebrew...

thegiver

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 1:26 am
How does it help their learning? Is it positive or negative? Do they become overconfident? How does knowing hebrew affect their middos (which kids they hang out with)?

My husband is fluent in hebrew! How can I learn it proficiently? I speak choppy atm and make tons of mistakes! What helped u master it if u werent a native hebrew speaker? Pls note im not in israel so cant go to ulpan. I also dont watch movies unless there is something educational. I am wondering if there are clean frum movies out there with subtitles and how I can Access them? Not a big fan of this option unless it is super helpful.
Thanks!!

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 3:12 am
thegiver wrote:
How does knowing hebrew affect their middos (which kids they hang out with)?

They may start conversing with evil Tziyonim!! Rachman litzlan!!
But honestly, how could learning Hebrew affect their middos?

Rappel

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 3:17 am
I failed Hebrew studies throughout high school, and then I made Aliyah. The natural give-and-take, active participation in speaking and interacting in Hebrew gave me most of the skills I needed. That's what I recommend. A movie is not interactive, so its effect is limited (and the subtitles must be in Hebrew for it to have any benefit). Hebrew Radio is good background, but I don't think you'll learn much from it - more like it will just get your brain in the "mood" to listen for Hebrew.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 3:20 am
thegiver wrote:
How does it help their learning? Is it positive or negative? Do they become overconfident? How does knowing hebrew affect their middos (which kids they hang out with)?

My husband is fluent in hebrew! How can I learn it proficiently? I speak choppy atm and make tons of mistakes! What helped u master it if u werent a native hebrew speaker? Pls note im not in israel so cant go to ulpan. I also dont watch movies unless there is something educational. I am wondering if there are clean frum movies out there with subtitles and how I can Access them? Not a big fan of this option unless it is super helpful.
Thanks!!
HUH?????????

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 3:30 am
Find an Israeli who wants to learn English and do errands together. She speaks Hebrew, you speak English, and together you'll learn everyday vocabulary.

salt

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 3:32 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
HUH?????????

I understood her to mean that speaking Hebrew (lashon hakodesh) influences our soul and our middot for the good.
Rashi tells us to speak to our children in Lashon Hakodesh (perush rashi on the words "veshinantem le-vanecha") as opposed to Lashon Avoda Zara.

And knowing Hebrew would certainly greatly ease understanding chumash, mishna, tehillim, etc.

Just like in Israel there are English chugim for Israeli kids to improve their English, maybe you can start up a Hebrew chug for kids to improve their Hebrew. Are there Israeli's where you live, who could run something like that.

As for you learning hebrew, reading simple books/ children's books is a great way to start.
Or maybe there are online courses. There used to be these books by Berlitz for learning foreign languages. I don't know if they're still around.

Rappel

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 3:37 am
salt wrote:
I understood her to mean that speaking Hebrew (lashon hakodesh) influences our soul and our middot for the good.
Rashi tells us to speak to our children in Lashon Hakodesh (perush rashi on the words "veshinantem le-vanecha") as opposed to Lashon Avoda Zara.

Agreed. I know many whom won't teach their children any language except Hebrew, for similar reasons.

Our hashkafa doesn't obligate us to do so, so we have decided to teach them English and Spanish as well, for starters, so they can communicate with their family. Beezrat Hashem, we'll teach them to use this tool to benefit klal yisrael.

yerushamama

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 3:41 am
I learned Hebrew from working for an Israeli who understood English, but could barely speak it. I spoke to him in English, He answered in Hebrew.

When I wanted to learn Yiddish, I got duplicates in Yiddish of as many as possible of my children's books and music. It helped a lot!

Rappel

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 3:44 am
Yerushamama is right! Things which are familiar, but translated, are a great vector for study. Children's books especially, since they're written to be educational, and with many context clues.

gingertop

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 6:16 am
thegiver wrote:
How does it help their learning? Is it positive or negative?

It makes learning so much easier.

Instead of translating, they are learning in the language of the learning. My kids intuitively grasp things in their learning that I never did, even though I've learned in decent schools+sem and my Hebrew is far from bad.

Quote:
Do they become overconfident? How does knowing hebrew affect their middos (which kids they hang out with)?

I'm not sure what you mean by this question. There are all types of people from radical extremists to completely secular who speak Hebrew, just as this spectrum exists amongst English speakers. There are people with good and bad middos who speak every language.
My kids hang out with all sorts of friends and one family I have them avoid is actually English speaking (The father creeps me out).

I think a better question is how *not* speaking Hebrew can affect the middos of kids growing up in Israel. I'm not very impressed with the attitude of some kids who don't speak Hebrew. Some act like entitled little brats if anyone tries to speak the local language to them.

You're not in Israel so this does not apply to you or your kids. I'm just mentioning that in general, I don't find the middos of people who avoid Hebrew to be particularly noteworthy.

Quote:

-Keep using the language even if it's not great. The only way to improve is to do it
- For a long time, I read children's books to my kids in Hebrew. The vocabulary can be surprisingly sufficient for regular adult conversation
-I found comics to be easy to read+helpful with vocabulary until I moved up to magazines and novels
-I did not find newspapers helpful. The language of politics is not an everyday use type of thing (unless you specifically want to be able to talk politics with Hebrew speakers)
-For clean movies- try Shtisel or Shababnikim or To fill the Void

penguin

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 12:54 pm
Watch R Amnon Yitzchak and Rav Zamir Cohen. You will learn something and at the same time improve your Hebrew.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 2:05 pm
I personally use a free app called Mondly. I also listen to a podcast called Streetwise Hebrew. It is excellent. I don't pay for the enhanced version. The basic program is free. There is another podcast called Hebrew101 which has units on different topics (like renting a car, going to a restaurant, etc) It has really helped my Hebrew. Listening to programs like Srugim is also good, as are Hebrew radio stations on line. Good luck.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics