Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Who's your favorite superhero?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Which do you like better?
Marvel Comics  
 30%  [ 18 ]
DC Comics  
 1%  [ 1 ]
other, like don't like superhero ones, but like...which ones?  
 11%  [ 7 ]
don't like and/or don't know of any  
 55%  [ 33 ]
Total Votes : 59

Rappel

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 4:05 pm
singleagain wrote:
Have you tried the BBC's version with Benedict Cumberbatch? No idea how it relates to the books.. but o.m.g.

Let me put it this way:

A central factor of Sherlock Holmes' character is his utter disinterest in any romantic relationship - it would "clutter his attic," just like the knowledge that the Earth goes around the sun. It's useless to his work, so he doesn't notice it at all.

I can't imagine BBC ran a totally analytic detective story without any love interest at all. It just doesn't sell in society anymore

singleagain

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 4:08 pm
Rappel wrote:
Let me put it this way:

A central factor of Sherlock Holmes' character is his utter disinterest in any romantic relationship - it would "clutter his attic," just like the knowledge that the Earth goes around the sun. It's useless to his work, so he doesn't notice it at all.

I can't imagine BBC ran a totally analytic detective story without any love interest at all. It just doesn't sell in society anymore

There's actually a whole episode around that. With fans coming up with tons of theories about Irene Adler. And the extent of relationship if any... You might want to give it a shot ...

Rappel

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 4:16 pm
singleagain wrote:
There's actually a whole episode around that. With fans coming up with tons of theories about Irene Adler. And the extent of relationship if any... You might want to give it a shot ...

A Scandal in Bohemia:

"To Sherlock Holmes she is always 'the woman'. I have seldom heard him mention her under any other name. In his eyes she eclipses and predominates the whole of her s3k. It was not that he felt any emotion akin to love for Irene Adler. All emotions, and that one particularly, were abhorrent to his cold, precise but admirably balanced mind. He was, I take it, the most perfect reasoning and observing machine that the world has seen, but as a lover he would have placed himself in a false position. He never spoke of the softer passions, save with a gibe and a sneer. They were admirable things for the observer—excellent for drawing the veil from men's motives and actions. But for the trained reasoner to admit such intrusions into his own delicate and finely adjusted temperament was to introduce a distracting factor which might throw a doubt upon all his mental results. Grit in a sensitive instrument, or a crack in one of his own high-power lenses, would not be more disturbing than a strong emotion in a nature such as his. And yet there was but one woman to him, and that woman was the late Irene Adler, of dubious and questionable memory."

That seems pretty clear to me. Smile

Anything else is simply untrue to Holmes' character, and he is one I deeply admire.

cinnamon

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 4:23 pm
singleagain wrote:
Have you tried the BBC's version with Benedict Cumberbatch? No idea how it relates to the books.. but o.m.g.

Yes wow! I wish they make another season!

singleagain

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 4:28 pm
That's more or less how the BBC Sherlock goes. I admit not having read the books. But I believe the story is very close. .... Especially from looking online at ppl comparing

PinkandYellow

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 8:39 pm
I third Dr Who!!

animeme

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 9:45 pm
Lego Batman, from the Lego Movie.

Followed closely by Batman and Robin from the tv show.

And an honorable mention of Inspector Gadget.

sushilover

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 9:45 pm
Batman is the most compelling superhero, both in the comics and on film. He is so raw , cool, principled, has no real super powers, and most of all he has the absolute best arch enemy in the history of super heroes.

Wonder woman is awesome too, at least the Gal gadot version. I love how Gal portrays her as brilliant and powerful, yet naive and loving. It shouldn't work, but it does!

cbsp

Post Sun, Jun 23 2019, 11:40 pm
My fictional vote: Greatest American Hero

non-fiction vote: Chai Lifeline and similar organizations volunteers and staff

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 6:46 am
Superman fan here! Totally agree about the whole thing of the superheros is not to be too heavy-anyone seen Smallville- thought it wasn't bad

Both dh and me are big sherlock holmes fans, so I had to mention it and we've watched a few versions-BBC did in the 80s (I think it was) a series with Jeremy Brett which is held by most sherlockians to be the most true to the books(there's no romance etc, they're pretty much exactly as the books went).
The current BBC series called Sherlock has no real connection to the Sherlock Holmes as Conan Doyle wrote it-it's set in modern times and as the series went on, they moved away from any adaptation of the books, but it is a great series, as long as you detach from the reality of it not really being Sherlock Holmes (series 3 is the best series imo-it has the most comedy-I mean the wedding episode is hilarious)
Another great series is the 'Murder Rooms', also by BBC, and it's about Conan Doyle himself and how his mentor (sherlock holmes is supposedly based on him) Dr Joseph Bell solves murders etc using those methods of deduction

singleagain

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 7:41 am
I started Smallville. Life happened and I ended up not finishing it... Though I read through the plot pages on the Smallville wiki

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 9:42 am
Squeeeee I love this thread! I got into superheros once I had a son, and it's an interest that we have bonded over. I think it means a lot to him that his mom has made an effort to learn about something that is important to him and we talk about them a lot. I can't wait till he is old enough to watch the full movies with me!

I prefer Marvel over DC, with the exception of Batman. I grew up on Adam West, loved Christian Bale's version, can't bring myself to even try watching Ben Affleck Puke but I'm so excited to see Rob Pattinson's interpretation.

The superhero I identify most with is Hulk. I am really shy, mild mannered, and love science. However, when someone hurts me or makes me angry, that's when my superpowers come out. Plus I am really really tall, not very attractive, and pretty strong LOL.

Lately I've loved Thor too. He's just so wholesome and sweet. I loved his character development in Thor: Ragnarok so much. I just find him as a character very inspiring. Other favorites are Captain America and Ant Man Heart

When Avengers: Endgame came out I counted up the Marvel movies I've seen and I've seen all 23. Actually 24 if you could Blade (this was pre-MCU but still an amazing movie!) At this point I don't think I will ever tire of them. As long as they keep making them I will keep watching!

singleagain

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 10:07 am
Blade is not an official part of MCU... At least not for endgame.

Actually wait. I thought there was only 21, leading up to endgame

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 10:14 am
singleagain wrote:
Blade is not an official part of MCU... At least not for endgame.

Actually wait. I thought there was only 21, leading up to endgame

That's why I said pre-MCU

singleagain

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 10:20 am
I still only count 22 movies.... What are you counting to get to 24?

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 10:32 am
singleagain wrote:
I still only count 22 movies.... What are you counting to get to 24?

I recounted and you are absolutely correct, 22! TMI

singleagain

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 10:44 am
urban gypsy wrote:
I recounted and you are absolutely correct, 22! TMI

Don't worry. I got very confused too... Especially, if you are counting based on phase, or chronology

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 10:45 am
singleagain wrote:
Don't worry. I got very confused too... Especially, if you are counting based on phase, or chronology

The details are important! LOL
How did you feel about Endgame?

singleagain

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 10:50 am
urban gypsy wrote:
The details are important! LOL
How did you feel about Endgame?

Absolutely breathtaking. And there were some really powerful emotional moments and the dialogue was iconic.

I do wish there was either more time or fewer characters, bc it's hard to give everyone the time they deserve. But going forward should be most interesting.

I don't want to get into details in case other ppl are still trying to avoid spoilers

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 10:53 am
singleagain wrote:
Absolutely breathtaking. And there were some really powerful emotional moments and the dialogue was iconic.

I do wish there was either more time or fewer characters, bc it's hard to give everyone the time they deserve. But going forward should be most interesting.

I don't want to get into details in case other ppl are still trying to avoid spoilers

Yay me too! Infinity War really disappointed me, but Endgame made up for it!!!
I thought the way they balanced a giant cast of characters was nothing short of a masterpiece... like a giant Rubik's Cube, they fit everyone into their place and the emotional payoff was huge!!! I loved it so much!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics