Home

Iso excellent online coding program

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother

OP

Post  Mon, Jun 24 2019, 1:11 pm
Looking for my kids to learn some basic coding this summer. They're total newbies. Any recommendations? Free is preferred of course, but if a program is good and affordable I'd pay. Appreciate any recs

syrima

Post  Mon, Jun 24 2019, 1:40 pm
look up scratch programming language from MIT - it's free and a great intro to coding for kids. There are also lots of online courses based on it.

amother

OP

Post  Mon, Jun 24 2019, 1:42 pm
Thank you Syrima!

amother

Aubergine

Post  Mon, Jun 24 2019, 1:45 pm
syrima wrote:
look up scratch programming language from MIT - it's free and a great intro to coding for kids. There are also lots of online courses based on it.

Does anybody have suggestions for what is good after Scratch? My DS12 has done a lot of Scratch online and I feel will benefit from the next level.

seeker

Post  Mon, Jun 24 2019, 4:40 pm
For OP, I second Scratch and if your kids are little there's Scratch Jr.

Aubergine: I don't know if it's for after Scratch or what, but I've been hearing about something called Hopscotch.
There are also books that take Scratch to the next level but I'm not sure if your kid is already past that. I haven't delved that deeply but from looking at the books you can do some pretty advanced projects.
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children