Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Travel to nitra and kosho: food inquiry
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 9:04 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
OP, there's no kosher food in that area.
May I ask where your traveling from? In my opinion, it doesn't pay to travel far for this park.

Is it worth a ride to see these communities? Sounds like an experience. What is lt like?

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 9:22 pm
No, it's not worth the ride to see the community. There's nothing much to see. Basically a neighborhood of old high ranch houses.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 9:28 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
No, it's not worth the ride to see the community. There's nothing much to see. Basically a neighborhood of old high ranch houses.

I meant - I’d love to meet the people- not their houses!

dankbar

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 9:41 pm
its like a shtetl. They cook themselves. They are away from city life so you cant expect city conveniences. I dont think they have any stores at all. Maybe the lady selling eggs is also selling a few tights in a little room

dankbar

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 9:42 pm
grocery probably looks more like your canteen in camp

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 9:52 pm
dankbar wrote:
grocery probably looks more like your canteen in camp

Wow! I wasnt aware of all that!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 11:15 pm
Have you been there dankbar?

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 11:18 pm
I was there many times. I have some relatives there and my sisters in laws live there. The nitra yeshiva is there. There's really nothing much to see. The people are normal simple people, nothing out of the ordinary. Some families live there for section 8.

dankbar

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 11:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Have you been there dankbar?

Once over 20 years ago. I dont think much changed

dankbar

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 11:40 pm
Its country style. Like a hilly bungalow colony almost

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 12:20 am
We stopped there after Croton ...park. Nitra is boring. I wonder if there is a mini park there with swings....Still its interesting to drive and see what a shtetele is about. You can drive around 5 minutes to see the place but that's about it. If you had a friend cousin there maybe it could be a longer activity? Bathroom break should be at the park (bring your tissue) or at gas station. For men at sunset nitra is a great mincha spot. Find out when the croton is in its full capacity of water. Otherwise less water spills down and is boring. I realized thru pictures that some times/seasons is less water.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 12:22 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
We stopped there after Croton ...park. You can drive around 5 minutes to see the place but that's about it. Bathroom break should be at the park (bring your tissue) or a gas station. For men at sunset nitra is a great mincha spot

What did you for food? Is the park nice? Appropriate for big boys?

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 12:35 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What did you for food? Is the park nice? Appropriate for big boys?

In the bottom you observe the water coming down. Also it pays to bring outdoor activity stuff because there is plenty of grass. Bathrooms are in the bottom. The most time we spent was walking up and staying up. You will do better with sneakers if you have but if not its not bad. When you are on top you see on your rght the reservoir which is huge and man made and on the left the bottom park. At the end of the path (overpass overlook whatever) you will see to your right a spillway long and narrow. Dont miss it its interesting. And to your left the man made falls. I think its a very nice trip. Print in real paper from wikepedia about it to read to them on the way before arriving. The wonder there is that it was man built at a time when there was very little or no machinery. Yes good for big kids.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 12:42 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
In the bottom you observe the water coming down. Also it pays to bring outdoor activity stuff because there is plenty of grass. Bathrooms are in the bottom. The most time we spent was walking up and staying up. You will do better with sneakers if you have but if not its not bad. When you are on top you see on your rght the reservoir which is huge and man made and on the left the bottom park. At the end of the path (overpass overlook whatever) you will see to your right a spillway long and narrow. Dont miss it its interesting. And to your left the man made falls. I think its a very nice trip. Print in real paper from wikepedia about it to read to them on the way before arriving. The wonder there is that it was man built at a time when there was very little or no machinery. Yes good for big kids.

Is croton gorge park and croton point park the same?

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 1:13 am
My in-laws live there, so I'll chime in. There is indeed no restaurants etc. And a small grocery with bread from last day.
But, if you have someone to guide you, it might be interesting for a small tour. The vegetable store in someone's basement where nobody pays, but gets the bill end of the week, the keilim mikva, the yeshiva ( you can go in when yeshiva is closed), the whole old shtetl with old houses. It's nice to watch people live in 2019 like this.
Someone said something about minche, there is only 1 minyen, at 2 Smile.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 1:46 am
Croton gorge park is the one you need. Where there is the spillway. No boats or local activity. Still nice. I think the other one you are mentioning is a few minutes drive away but I have not been to. Bring your own ready food and drink and tissues.
BTW The patterson falls is small and tall but in not such a good urban neighborhood. So the patterson one I would do only on chol hamoed when its more populated. Also patterson has zero green grass area. Patterson is worth if you are maximum an hour and a half drive away. Dont come from too far for it. It's maase bereishis beautifull just small. The beauty is that its very tall.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 1:52 am
Why dont the Nitra people open a normal supermarket?

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 2:22 am
On chol hamoed, mincha was at sunset in Nitra. But OK so other days its 2pm. Good to know.

Yoyo613

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 2:27 am
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
Why dont the Nitra people open a normal supermarket?

I assume there are too little residents amd monsey is too close so they manage

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 2:34 am
You will not have someone doing for you a mini tour if you dont know soneone from before and that person agrees in advance... They are not the Amish Wink
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics