Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Tuition cost doubling... and $ saved dwindling

thegiver

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 8:08 pm
We have now all the $ needed for tuition next yr but something big is eating at half of our savings....

How can I or my husband earn an extra $2500 with a new baby in tow?

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 8:40 pm
Do you mean that you plan to pay tuition from your savings, and you would need to earn an extra $2500/month to cover your expenses without dipping into savings?

Are you both already working full time? Can you eliminate other expenses to free up some of your budget?

thegiver

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 8:50 pm
I just need an extra $2500 flat out. Husband works overtime Smile

thegiver

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 8:51 pm
No expenses can be eliminated. I dont even have cleaning help.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 8:57 pm
Sorry to sound preachy, but there are few people in the U.S. who can eliminate no expenses. I have never had cleaning help and live quite frugally (my sister says my husband and I are a couple of the most frugal people she knows), but in some ways I am a spendthrift compared to my parents. Look at all of your expenses, some things can most likely be done without

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 9:02 pm
Ask for a tuition break.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 9:08 pm
thegiver wrote:
I just need an extra $2500 flat out. Husband works overtime Smile

Do you work full time?

thegiver

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 11:15 pm
I don't work but have a newborn. Rly I need only $400 extra a month.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 11:21 pm
Well, if you need money you can always get a job and have someone take care of the baby while you work. Smile Especially as you say you can't cut anything from your budget. What's the alternative?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 11:38 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Well, if you need money you can always get a job and have someone take care of the baby while you work. Smile Especially as you say you can't cut anything from your budget. What's the alternative?

In What field might the op find a job. That will pay enough to cover the cost of child care?
Assuming she has no prior work experience or skill?
Asking cuz I’m in a similar situation

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 11:42 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
In What field might the op find a job. That will pay enough to cover the cost of child care?
Assuming she has no prior work experience or skill?
Asking cuz I’m in a similar situation

Everyone has a skills. Figure out your skill set and interests, and look for a job in that field. Even if you don't make much more than the cost of child care, you work your way up to higher paying positions once you have experience. Without experience (or the right degree) you won't get anywhere.

TwinsMommy

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 11:52 pm
on days I work my business I make between 100 and 400 usually. I choose not to work my business most days because I have two really complicated special needs kids who have a lot of appointments, docs, therapies, paperwork, etc so I choose to keep my schedule super flexible. For just $400 extra a month a part time home business is easiest in that situation I think. No childcare needed.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Jun 25 2019, 12:22 am
This is obviously not a one-time problem. Tuition rates will keep going up, and if your family grows, the increase will be even more dramatic. It's time now to make long term plans. Can you get into the work force? Move somewhere less expensive? Can your husband transition into a better paying field?

Sorry to be so harsh.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics