Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
The word "mother" explained....

Pearl

Post Tue, Aug 23 2005, 5:55 am
Mama
By: Chana Weisberg
------------------

"Ma-ma."

It's the first word a baby learns to speak. It's the kindest word in any language. It bespeaks an unconditional, unbreakable bond of love and acceptance.

It is the picture-perfect scene of a young child nestled in her mother's arms; their breathing rising in unison, in utter surrender to the peacefulness and serenity of the moment.

It is a promise of eternal commitment and devotion.

"Mamma."

A short word that describes an outstretched guiding hand, no matter how bleak the circumstances. A hand that applauds all achievements, big or miniscule, just as it uplifts and gives strength.

She is the heart so overflowing with pride, so bursting with love, so attached to yours that she is one with you, as if you share a single soul.

"Mamma!"

A child's demanding, insistent word that, in her own vocabulary says: I know you will care for me. I know you will take care of my needs. I know you will help me. I know you will be here for me. Always. Forever!

"Mommy..."

A set of eyes locked into yours. Eyes full of wisdom, boring into your essence. Eyes full of kindness and giving. Eyes that see more than you will ever fathom. Eyes that understand more than you will ever appreciate.

Eyes that smile, even as they cry.

"Mom?"

The poignancy of a heartrending parting. Her heart that is shred into a million-and-one pieces as she lets you make your own mistakes and suffer your own falls, allowing you to traverse your own chosen path.

She is the one who sends you on your way, celebrating your decisions even when in disagreement, knowing that your life experiences and choices will form you and make you into the special, independent you.

"Mother!"

In the darkest period of our history, as a holocaust descended on our people, she wouldn't abandon her child, descending into the deepest abyss with him. Never leaving him. Finding some faith or hope to encourage her child to live on, to choose life--despite its harshest reality and ruthless cruelty.

"Shechinah."

When the Kabbalists refer to G-d as infinite and beyond, they call G-d, "He". "He" is our Father in Heaven, directing our world. G-d as Father is the transcendent force in our lives, the voice compelling and empowering us to go beyond the here and now.

But when the Kabbalists refer to G-d as immanently here, now, in a nurturing, inner way, they say "She." G-d as Mother is the Shechinah, the feminine presence of G-d. She accompanies her children along their difficult trek through exile, experiencing our pain and our tears, all the while comforting us, and never abandoning us, despite our flaws or our faults.

Ultimately, of course, G-d is absolute unity, beyond gender and categorization. "He" and "She" are but reflections of G-d's essence. But it is only through our contemplating the analogy of this feminine, motherly aspect of G-d--the Shechinah--that our mortal brains can begin to appreciate any yearning or pain on the part of the infinite, transcendent G-d.

It is the Shechinah who cries bitterly for the exile of Her children. It is She who feels the immensity of their pain.

She beckons to us, too, to experience Her pain. To feel Her intense suffering of being separated from the unity, open love and oneness with Her people.

And She awakens within us a yearning for that time when we will once again be comforted, embraced and enveloped in the nurturing arms of our Mamma.

- Chana Weisberg is the author of four books, the latest, "Divine Whispers--Stories that Speak to the Heart and Soul" and "Jewish Women: Past, Present and Future". Weisberg is a noted educator and columnist and lectures worldwide on issues relating to women, faith, relationships and the Jewish soul.

Tefila

Post Tue, Aug 23 2005, 10:57 am
That women ba"h never ceases to amaze me. Exclamation She runs her own family ka"h looksafter herself plus is able to do all this....... I guess part of her secret must be she's not on imamother as much as the rest of us Twisted Evil

Rivka

Post Wed, Aug 24 2005, 5:47 am
Or as much as you.

Pearl

Post Wed, Aug 24 2005, 5:49 am
LOL rivka!

but chana weisberg is amazing (and intimidating...)

de_goldy

Post Wed, Aug 24 2005, 7:25 am
Why intimidating?

Pearl

Post Wed, Aug 24 2005, 7:29 am
oh, that's during my "weak" moments, that I feel I am not a good-enough-wife/mother/friend etc...

de_goldy

Post Wed, Aug 24 2005, 9:25 am
Thanks for clarifying.

Btw - I wonder how many people truly feel that way about the word 'mother' (etc).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational